How-To: Flag next to your username

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
THIS IS OLD AND NO LONGER VALID. PLEASE SEE HELP SECTION

I've added the ability to have a flag next to your username. Not massive but allows people to see at a glance where you are from.
To set this in a few easy steps:
  1. Click on Settings (top right hand corner)
  2. Scroll down and look for Edit Profile on the left hand side. Click it.
  3. Scroll down and look for Countryand select which country you live in.
  4. While you're at it, why not fill in Map Location with your town and country (something that google will understand) so that you appear on the user map.

Or click here :)

Shout if you have any problems.

CP

Last edited:
Great stuff Crispin, at last I can get rid of the Union flag and have the proper one. :thumbup:

Last edited:
I'm still struggling to get my location on the map, and hopefully I'll get my flag in this post...

Excellent - even has a Saltire - even though I am a Yorkshireman I will use it :)

I'm still struggling to get my location on the map, and hopefully I'll get my flag in this post...

Odd, I'll have a look over the weekend why your location thing is not working.

Thanks Crispin,

I'm off Uni this week and next, so I've not had a chance to see why it's running slow at certain times. It all seems good now though...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That's nice, pity you can't put in two if you have dual nationality!!

Hi Cris, flag waving successfully, thanks!

I too have a problem with location. I've inserted what should be a recognizable address "Comarnic" but alas the location pitches me somewhere in Bucharest which is some 110 km away from Comarnic.

Also, the tongue-in-cheek reference to dual nationality would be desirable (I'm still a Brit or English to be more precise), if this additional option is taken seriously, which I doubt! There's potentially no end to that one, an English Brit living in Romania, that's 3 flags already, where could that end up! :lol:

Regarding the dual nationality thing, can't do it :( imagine all the flags next to a person...

Regarding the location thing , stick that word into Google maps and see where it drops you. That is what I use. If it is correct I'll check later (in meeting now ha ha)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Clive, try reducing you location to just Comarnic, Romania

Well according to my relations I have Welsh, Scottish AND Irish blood in my veins, I know I could have the Union Flag :icon-rolleyes: but I'd like three more individual flags please Crispin.:pray:

Clive, try reducing you location to just Comarnic, Romania

Done that Rob, but no change on the user map.

I even deleted my location altogether, but it still pitches me on Calea Victoriei in Bucharest. It must be picking that up from somewhere else.

I've tried typing Comarnic into Google Maps knowing that would work ok, I use GM a lot and it carries much more detail than any others I have including Co Pilot which was quite expensive.

anyway, I've re-entered my address to see if it picks it up later, or whether Cris can assist. No big deal really, just a bit frustrating...

Last edited:
mkay, Clive, which field are you changing?

There is the Location box which is what shows up under your name. This has nothing to do with the map, it's only to show under your name.
Then there is, just below it, Map Location.

On yours you have the first one set to "Comarnic, Romania" and the Map Location set to "Poiana Comarnic". Having a look at these on google I get the following:
Poiana Comarnic
and
Comarnic, Romania

Which are two neighbouring areas. Which one is correct?
As for where google drops the pin, I've no control over that - I would imagine it is the geographic centre of the area.

I'll look for a circus flag Chas - we can use that for the pavement specials in us ;)

mkay, Clive, which field are you changing?

There is the Location box which is what shows up under your name. This has nothing to do with the map, it's only to show under your name.
Then there is, just below it, Map Location.

On yours you have the first one set to "Comarnic, Romania" and the Map Location set to "Poiana Comarnic". Having a look at these on google I get the following:
Poiana Comarnic
and
Comarnic, Romania

Which are two neighbouring areas. Which one is correct?
As for where google drops the pin, I've no control over that - I would imagine it is the geographic centre of the area.

Poiana Comarnic is the location of our house and google maps recognizes this and pitches us within about 500m of our true location.

Comarnic village is a bit sprawling and the centre of the village is about 3km from the house.

I'll edit the locations again. I realize / assume that map location controls the site map, but it seems to have no effect even after editing. :think:

Ah, the update only runs at night at around 11pm. I can't have a real time update with that because google gets grumpy with me. I might try rewrite it at some point using the new methods from Google. Might be easier.

Ah, the update only runs at night at around 11pm. I can't have a real time update with that because google gets grumpy with me. I might try rewrite it at some point using the new methods from Google. Might be easier.

It's no biggie Cris, just a bit annoying! Everything I touch that's remotely IT goes haywire, it must be my age. My 5 yr old daughter has no problems with stuff like this!

Cheers!

Back