Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

i KNOW NOTHING about CB radio so

What do you think of that Sirius antenna Clive ?

That Sirio 3000 is the aerial I've got, gone up in price a bit since I bought mine though. :icon-surprised: mine was about £40, nice aerial but quite long, the bit where the whip fits in can get broken. Jon W did a mod on mine to strengthen it. :thumbup:

What do you think of that Sirius antenna Clive ?

You mean this one Shayne?

The base looks a bit vulnerable, considering it's going on the top of my front winch-bumper, but otherwise looks good, but I can't find dimensions of the mount base, probably not looking closely enough...

Last edited:
That's the one i was looking at Clive because its a case of drill a hole and bolt it on . Try as i might i can't find any that strike me as being strong so for me the Siruis leaves the weak bit protected between bumper and window and the rest will take damage like a coat hanger might so fit and forget me thinks .

Obviously i don't know how that would work for you but i was thinking maybe you could put the delicate bit inside your bumper and just have the whip above .

Mind you ideas are all well and good but some feedback on whether it would work or not from those with experience would be appreciated .

Last edited:
You mean this one Shayne?

The base looks a bit vulnerable, considering it's going on the top of my front winch-bumper, but otherwise looks good, but I can't find dimensions of the mount base, probably not looking closely enough...
The vulnerable bit is the swivel bit allowing the aerial to be angled, I slid a tube of metal pipe over the angle bit for re-enforcement until I got a proper solid one from Jon W.
The mount is on my winch bumper Clive so should be OK for yours, the round mount is approx. 1.5" diameter. That is the protective cap on there, I don't screw the aerial on til needed.

Aerial.JPG

Attachments

• Aerial.JPG
    Aerial.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That's useful Chas.

I presume the antenna detaches low down on the angled "ball" type fitting.

If it does, then when in use I take my chances, but when detached, I think the mount will be safe enough.

MYTHOS_DV_DOME_1.jpg

Yes Clive, when the whip is taken off there it unscrews complete with the angling bit. I put this on mine after it being recommended by Jim of 4x4CB.com as being one of the best.

That's the one i was looking at Clive because its a case of drill a hole and bolt it on . Try as i might i can't find any that strike me as being strong so for me the Siruis leaves the weak bit protected between bumper and window and the rest will take damage like a coat hanger might so fit and forget me thinks .

Obviously i don't know how that would work for you but i was thinking maybe you could put the delicate bit inside your bumper and just have the whip above .

Mind you ideas are all well and good but some feedback on whether it would work or not from those with experience would be appreciated .

Correct Shayne, any guidance on the most practical type of fitting from others would be good.

My mount is very similar to Chas', so the one we're looking at should be OK.

The most common one I've seen is the type that has a coiled spring (it's actually part of the circuit of the antenna, but call it a spring for now) at its base. These seem to survive on the lanes and have a screw in base so can be swapped for a shorter one if need be. Pretty long though to match the wavelength.

The choice seems to be 1ft tall like the one i broke or 3ft and over .

To be fair it was the magnetic mount that broke so the same fitted to a body mount on Clive's bumper might be good i guess ?

I can't see the same working for me because of where i want to mount it , fair enough i can imagine the radio and antenna chatting through the window but but any outside signal would just bounce clean over my truck would it not ?

The choice seems to be 1ft tall like the one i broke or 3ft and over .

To be fair it was the magnetic mount that broke so the same fitted to a body mount on Clive's bumper might be good i guess ?

I can't see the same working for me because of where i want to mount it , fair enough i can imagine the radio and antenna chatting through the window but but any outside signal would just bounce clean over my truck would it not ?

It doesn't work like that Shayne. Radio waves run in straight lines. Although they can bounce off things. A short antenna, mounted anywhere it is in any way shaded by a part of your truck, will be restricted. If you stuck a short one on the roof, that would be the best place, or else you need a longer antenna if placed elsewhere, which will always be a compromise if shaded by part of your truck. For close range, you probably won't have too many problems, but it will be shackled by a poor antenna or poor mounting place and your range will be restricted, by how much is trial and error.

Bearing in mind that CB at 29mhz is in the HF or 'permeable' part of the spectrum, you'll probably get away (range wise) with the short antenna on the A bar. At that frequency it's much less 'line of sight' than SHF, UHF and to a certain degree VHF. Don't know what power you'll be running but my only concern personally would be the occupants of the vehicle being irradiated if you are using anything more than a few watts output. JMO

I think they're limited to 4 watts TP.

I never realised it was this complicated, I just stuck it all together and turned it on :D

I never realised it was this complicated, I just stuck it all together and turned it on :D

Wish i had done the same but instead i asked a pro what i need and it broke before i got it out of the box . See my sig !

Must be lucky I can pick up what I think is a load of English taxi drivers in the Western Sahara, not sure where they are exactly maybe I'll ask them this year

Back