Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ice

karl webster

Supporter
Guru
For those of you who havnt checked your antifreeze do so tomoz.
I was going to go through my trucks tomoz with it and make sure they were ok.
Tried starting mux earlier and wouldnt turn thought a batery was down even though i had replaced them with two good ones after lanning in wales.
When arrived back from work had a play to get it running and no go. Turns out that the engine has frooze. Not good. Any ideas what i can do as i carnt thaw it at home. Was going to put a starter on it tomoz as that isnt great and get it to my yard
karl

that's not good Karl, hope it hasn't broken anything. Why can't you thaw it at home? Put a little heater under it, electric or gas, gas stove etc but not too high a heat and see if that does the job?

Yes as above a little gas stove under the sump and leave it a few hours.

Paul

You could start a small fire under the engine bay, tried and test method used in very cold places, but for obvious reasons I would use this as a last resort.

DISCLAIMER: You do so at your own risk, I will take no responsibility for any damage caused.

Hi lads, Thought bout a fire etc but didnt want to do any damage to anything after reading posts i just thought about my bbq. Ill get that under it in the morning. I had wraped the engine up in veggie mux and also wraped engine in the 100 untill i have checked tomoz. I have used blankets etc to try and hold the cold off untill tomoz.

ive in the past used a heater for a while and removed the rad hoses and poured warm water
into the rad to clear it and then filled with antifreeze (neet)which helps to defreeze the engine
and than ran the engine on tick over with the rad cap removed
but do so at you own risk

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I understand anything done will be at my own risk. Carnt beleive its done it i have never had it with any car i have had. See what happens in the morning
karl

Use yer 12v heaters... Sorted :cool:

BTW, can't find them on screwfix... :evil:

Apologies if this sounds a dumb answer but...... what about removing the fan belts and then starting it?

This will certainly thaw the block out, keep checking the water pump by hand, once it frees off reconnect the belts, the warm water will then thaw the rad.

Or am I talking complete pooh :oops:

Your talking complete poo paul. Only joking mate. I had already thought about the belts and will still prob do that tomoz. Great getting advice from everyone tonight as it will help me out tomoz.
Gav, The heaters are 240 i hve them plugged into my inverter. I will have a look on screw fix to see if they still sell them. Are you getting some for mux
karl

karl wester said:
The heaters are 240
:doh: Even better, plug 'em straight into the national grid!!! :lol:

Can't spot them on scrufix - thinking I might just go with the underfloor heating kit instead...

Karl, you are not having much luck Matey. What exactly is it that is so frozen that it won't start? Is it turning over and not firing or is it jammed solid? As there isn't any water actually in the engine itself, I don't see how it could freeze solid. Not in these temperatures. Remember that at the temp rises outside in the day, blankets will actually be keeping the engine cold. I'd open the bonnet and throw a few buckets of tepid water over it. Don't suppose you have a steam cleaner?

Chris

Chris said:
.....throw a few buckets of tepid water over it.

Noooooo don't do it Karl.... it will end up looking looking like this in the morning else :D

car_frozen.jpg

luck never seems to come my way cris. i just have to struggle on. At first it seemed solid. I thought bat was flat. Bats were ok so i then swaped 24v start soloined. No joy there so i took the 12v switch feed off the starter and put power direct to that and then got it to turn over but very very slow. i then took cap off the rad and it was more solid than a slush puppy drink. Ive put boiling water in the rad but no joy. Maybe i have more than one problem here. Cold may have killed somthing on the starting system. Thats why im going to put a starter on it tomoz and see where we go from there.
karl

No point heating the rad Karl, that is closed off until the block heats up.

Cris

Bat21 said:
Apologies if this sounds a dumb answer but...... what about removing the fan belts and then starting it?

This will certainly thaw the block out, keep checking the water pump by hand, once it frees off reconnect the belts, the warm water will then thaw the rad.

Or am I talking complete pooh :oops:

Urm, would this not lead to an overheating and cracked head? That area would heat up long before the pump thawed. My LR (I know, it's an LR) cracked the head twice due to lack of water while the thermostat remained closed because the block was cold.

Why not a £13 fan heat from Argos and aim it up into the bay. Lighting a fire could, well, warm a few other cars around you :shock:

I think ill just put the gas bbq under it for a couple of hours and get a better starter motor on it. Ill keep everyone posted to the progress tomoz. Hopefully it will be good news
karl

I could well do gav. The neighbours are going to think ive lost the plot tomoz

Back