Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

In-Car DAB

Gary Stockton

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
zimbabwe
Been thinking about this for a while, and there seem to be only two options available if you don't want to swap-out the head unit, or can't, as in my case...

The first one is the PureHighway 300Di which looks like a slick bit of kit:

Pure site

PocketLint Review

Which I quite like - even though I can probably only get it at Halfords just now :cry: although I haven't searched.

The other device, which is very lekker, but won't work for me due to OEM SatNag, is the autoDAB controller, which interfaces nicely with your existing head-unit, using the RDS / existing display as well:

autoDAB

Features

Plug and Play installation
Stores favourite stations
No box on view
No wires on view
Fully integrated
Controlled from steering wheel controls
Uses car’s current displays
Voice prompt menu system
Displays: radio text
song, artist information
100’s of new radio stations
Maintains FM stations

Also has some good reviews, and I've already had a response from their tech team saying they're working on a solution for OEM SatNag Cruisers ... so that bodes well.

Anything else anyone has discovered that works well for them?

Gary Stockton said:
Been thinking about this for a while, and there seem to be only two options available if you don't want to swap-out the head unit, or can't, as in my case...

The first one is the PureHighway 300Di which looks like a slick bit of kit:

Pure site

PocketLint Review

Which I quite like - even though I can probably only get it at Halfords just now :cry: although I haven't searched.

The other device, which is very lekker, but won't work for me due to OEM SatNag, is the autoDAB controller, which interfaces nicely with your existing head-unit, using the RDS / existing display as well:

autoDAB

Features

Plug and Play installation
Stores favourite stations
No box on view
No wires on view
Fully integrated
Controlled from steering wheel controls
Uses car’s current displays
Voice prompt menu system
Displays: radio text
song, artist information
100’s of new radio stations
Maintains FM stations

Also has some good reviews, and I've already had a response from their tech team saying they're working on a solution for OEM SatNag Cruisers ... so that bodes well.

Anything else anyone has discovered that works well for them?

Hi Gary

Just one simple question, why do you want a "Dab" radio, compared with a standard one ?

Because my standard FM radio doesn't get the digital stations we like to listen to, unfortunately, like Planet Rock, for example :lol:

Gary, I have Planet Rock on all day every day as you know. I have a Sonichi in the dash of my 80, a Marshall DAB upstairs, a Pure Evoke downstairs and a Highway in the Verso. The Highway is very good, but much better if you get the kinetic aerial for it. Have a look at DABonwheels.

Now, the best way to get the Highway to work is with the 3.5mm jack into your head unit. Using the other method by tuning to a quiet part of the bandwidth is a bit crap. It needs retuning quite often and gets bleed from other stations at times. It pays to search more than once for a suitable quiet spot. If you have direct in, then this really is the fit and forget option. With the kinetic aerial, you'll have perfect DAB reception all of the time. Unless you go to Scotland where DAB just doesn't exist. What? Oh damn.

OK it does, unless you turn off at Gretna and drive to Stranraer.

Chris

Think that's the 'old' Highway, CJ? This one has just been launched in early March, magic box fits inside the dash and you get get a controller that goes on the dash. Quite slick really. Integrates your iDevice too :lol:

But the signal still has to get inside your receiver somehow doesn't it?

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yep - direct injection technology overrides the FM signal and uses the same channel - or do they say!

Yes, agreed - 3 discrete methods available apparently

That's a posh way of saying it finds a quiet spot on your FM band - like I said. But don't listen to me. Go with the sales literature. :roll:

I'll stick with my Highway, the kinetic aerial and a lead into the head unit.

C

Gary Stockton said:
Because my standard FM radio doesn't get the digital stations we like to listen to, unfortunately, like Planet Rock, for example :lol:

Hi Again, sorry I did not get chance to get back before now.
But these highway type receivers do as you say get digital signals
but it still goes through the standard radio tuner, but as you say
you want a specific station, thats fine !

Back