Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Injector pipes vs EGR cooler

uHu

Supporter
Country Flag
norway
Short version: What's the difference between injection pipes for 1HD-fte versions with and without EGR cooling?

Full version:
Planning a bit of spring cleaning: Cleaning out the intake and removing the EGR bits.
Also doing the valve clearances, for the first time, at close to 300 k km.
Looking at the injector pipes, with some rusty spots; and the fact that I may want to remove them to get to intake manifold; I think it is time to change them.
Also considering injectors. It's a bit of an investment, but at this "age" it might be sensible to just do it, even though it runs well (I think), either having them serviced, or just get new ones from mayamayama. Thoughts?

Anyhow, right now in the parts ordering mode, and looking at part numbers for the injector pipes I find that there is a difference between versions with EGR cooling and without. How does egr cooling affect the injector pipes? Could it be that it is about the Intake Air Control Valve instead? This valve array sits under the intake manifold, and may make it higher, hence a different (longer) injector pipe is needed? Is this valve thingy found only on versions with the egr-cooler? If that's the case, it could explain the difference.

I'm planning on removing all EGR bits, pipe, valve, cooling hoses; but I didn't plan on removing the intake air control valve array as well. As long as it's working ok. (On my mondeo there's the same thingy, but made out of plastic, which just wears out after 100k miles or less, making noise and in the end being sucked into the sylinders in pieces).

The part numbers for the injector pipes (without egr cooling) are:
23701-17060
23702-17060
23703-17060
23704-17060
23705-17060
23706-17060
The injector pipes are the same thru models 1998 to 2007

For models with EGR cooling, the numbers are different, with -17080 as the last 5 digits. What is the difference?
And, if removing the EGR, what then?
Any insight - anyone?

If the car is doing same mpg I would have thought not necessary to change the injectors as I don't think they suddenly fail.

Toyodiy might throw some light for the difference in the pipes.

I just replaced my injectors at 294,000 and I reckon it does run better, although I could not say anything was wrong before. I did think the fuel economy had dropped a bit but have not checked if it has improved yet.

Waz

Back