Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Injector Swap

I think the concern with the pipes is that they can crack. You need to be gentle with them when you take them off, not pulling at them. You can blow them out with an air line to make sure they don't contaminate new injectors. Have certainly seen advice not to refit them more than once because of cracking worries, they need to cope with very high pressure. All 4 pipes, delivered from Amayama, including the VAT, is under £150 and I was still too tight to pay that when I did mine.

TonyP, not surprised you missed the injectors, at the price of those pipes,I had to look twice when you mentioned it. Outrageous price !
I've never understood why injector pipes should be changed, they are not normally a consumable, and don't get coked up like an egr. As Rob says, you just need to handle them a bit careful, clean up and blow through with airline. Maybe even the old ultrasonic cleaner, that brings injectors up good !

In all my years on heavies, I only experienced 2 failures of pipes 2 different motors, both old dogs that had covered hundreds of thousands of heavy miles, probably due to vibration.
I don't know of any trucks that were changed as a matter of course with injectors.

Maybe some have cracked theirs on 120s with rough handling, or maybe Toyota spin ?

I was told they were use once things, but I have taken mine off and put them back at least 5 times, and still going strong.... Famous last words

Not surprised with pipe 're use. I think some that have problems just pull them about to remove, and/or overtighten them on reassembly, this can deform the swaged ends or drag a bent/deformed pipe round with the nut and bend/crack it.pipe The nut should always be free to swivel on the pipe, with no sharp bends.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I mean you do have to wonder whether Toyota are taking the royal piss charging nearly £50 for this filter when someone on eBay can sell 4 of them for a tenner, or are they selling 4 of these for a tenner because they last about 6 weeks a time?

Chinese mate, always cheap-er. 6 weeks a time, as long as that ??
It does make you wonder how Toyota can justify that price considering what it is, vacuum formed plasic, 2 halves fitted together with a bit of felt in there for a filter.
Mind you, they don't have to justify it, you pays year money and takes year choice !
Clean it out and try it, is my 1st option.

I wouldn't trust the very cheap ones - unless someone knows what's inside them (maybe they're empty. If anyone buys the 4, cut one open in the name of science!). Yep the genuine ones are expensive from Mr T - but just put one on your next partsouq order for a tenner, then it's there next time you do your service...

I'll clean it, but put it on the list of things that ought to be changed next time.

As in next time there's a service, not the injectors.

Fourby4Diesels says they should be changed about every 12 months and they're a service item.
Maybe the price will come down if there's a mad rush to buy them, - or up ?
I wonder how many LC's of different series with these, are still on original ?

I've had such a faff here today.

It's taken a long time to get Techstream to talk to my Land Cruiser, and I'm not all too certain it's right either. I set Europe on Techstream, then go to connect to the car and it comes up with the engine etc but then wants the Option value. I selected "- 6080" (something like that) as that seemed to be the only thing that actually spoke to the car.

Anyway, I got the compensation codes easily enough and they're not saved. It's also the first time I got the read out of everything.

measurements1.jpg

This is all at a warm temperature.

To me Injector #4 looks well out of range, but the Inj FB Vol for Idle also looks wrong?

I could do with knowing what all those options when you start Techstream do really, and whether having the wrong one there could give the wrong reading here.

The numbers that come up when connecting tech stream are a list of options for the model year. The first two digits represent the build year, the last two is the month. Choose the one that’s the correct range for you.

Back