Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Installing a Pioneer SPH-DA120 in ac100 series? Any experience anyone..

happyglocals

Country Flag
belgium
Hi,
We would like to install the Pioneer SPH-DA120 double DIN-unit in our land cruiser 100 series. Can anyone tell us what problems we need to solve fitting it in (and of course the solution)? We would like to use it as radio and also rear camera on our recently modified 100 overlander,
kind regards,
happy glocals

Hi,
We would like to install the Pioneer SPH-DA120 double DIN-unit in our land cruiser 100 series. Can anyone tell us what problems we need to solve fitting it in (and of course the solution)? We would like to use it as radio and also rear camera on our recently modified 100 overlander,
kind regards,
happy glocals
Hi,
I put this unit and the pioneer camera in my 2000 LC100. No problems with the fitting, but had to find a small bracket for the camera to sit on, so it gave a good view rearwards. I also swapped out the speakers and put in sound deadening at the same time and the improvement was noticable.
Regards
Mark

The answer depends on year and version. A pic of the hvac/radio area would help. There are 4 different main versions, with 4 different solutions.

Tx
Hi,
I put this unit and the pioneer camera in my 2000 LC100. No problems with the fitting, but had to find a small bracket for the camera to sit on, so it gave a good view rearwards. I also swapped out the speakers and put in sound deadening at the same time and the improvement was noticable.
Regards
Mark
Don't have the car here - as it is being transformed. Thanks for your help, Theo

The answer depends on year and version. A pic of the hvac/radio area would help. There are 4 different main versions, with 4 different solutions.
Hi I don't have the car at the moment as its is being transformed in Germany, the only picture I've found is this one.. hope it helps,
Theo

P1100039.JPG

Looks like you have a pre-2003 without navi. That's the easiest. Then it depends only on what amplifier you have -- is there a 5 channel amp under the passenger seat and a twin 4" sub at the back? Some versions have digital remote control of the amp, where you cannot use the same amp if you change the head unit.

One problem with a fancy radio with a (big) screen for use when overlanding or on expedition is the power consumption. I put in an Alpine with an 8" screen, navi and camera, and didn't understand why it failed after a few hours of duty as an entertainment station around the garage area. The reason was that I emptied 190 Ah of battery. I measured the amperage, and it was 8 A. Even when the unit is turned off, it draws 4 amps. When I take out the key, it goes down to nearly zero (= a couple of milli-amps) after 1 minute.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi uHu, I'll ask our friend in Germany where the car gets transformed, many thanks for the much appreciated help, Theo

it seems we miss a frame behind this and secondly we need 11, 2 cm and only have 10 cm available.. the person in Germany tells me that to order an original frame from Toyota could take 6-8 weeks - he proposes to make one himself
P1100225.JPG
P1100226.JPG
P1100228.JPG

You need the metal side pieces that held the original head unit in place.

Back