Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Intervolt DCC Pro DC DC split charge system

What is the advantage of these systems over a simple voltage sensing relay or split charge relay?

They work as a dedicated battery charger independently of the vehicle alternator (apart from it providing charging current I mean) and can charge at specific voltages for certain batteries. You also get a dedicated solar input which is managed between the leisure battery and the starter battery plus they will give three stages of charging, bulk, float and trickle.

Newer Landcruisers from the 80 onwards either use a 12v charge- 24v start setup via a series parallel relay that only provides 24v for starting or are purely 12v. Older 24v vehicles that run 24v everything would need a different unit that converts from 24v to 12v assuming a 12v leisure setup. Mine is fitted to an 80 with 12/24v as factory.

Yes I have 80 with 24 starting /12v charge.

I was going to use a SCR and a solar controller that can charge two banks of batteries (starter and aux). This is a bit more expensive but has a nice display and possible ease of install.

If it can cope with the 24 start Im interested

To be honest Michael, there really is nothing to cope with. The connection is taken from the RH battery and it all then behaves just like any other 12v vehicle. The key is to use the correct battery and it all then works fine.

Yes they aren’t a cheap item, but then they aren’t cheaply made. Let me know if you’d like me to send you one. I have them in stock.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm just about to buy one of these from Oz. Is the feedback good?

StarCruiser has some, he’s in uk!
I have one, & have had no problems with it
Andy

Good question Gary… leave it with me.

Ok, it seems there are several different charging characteristics or ‘curves’ for lithium batteries and the charger needs to be specifically suited to the particular lithium battery utilised. So in order to use and charge lithium batteries either a matched charger should be used or the characteristics of the battery should be assessed and if they are the same as one of the curves given by the DCC Pro then it is possible that could be used.

Given this information it is clear why the DCC Pro doesn’t have specific charging curves for lithium batteries as there is clearly no ‘one size fits all’ for the battery type and it is safety critical (fire) that the battery receives the correct charge rate.

Hi

Thanks very much for getting this info.

I wonder if it's possible for them to give us a list of lithium batteries that would be safe to use with the charger.

G.

Hi

Thanks very much for getting this info.

I wonder if it's possible for them to give us a list of lithium batteries that would be safe to use with the charger.

G.
I think it’s not something they are aiming to do. It’s more a case if you find one that fits the charge characteristics you can go off piste as it were and use it. For them to give a list would need testing etc.

yes of course, that makes sense, can't imagine how many would have to test. Still very early days for the lithium technology, there be some standard reach along the line.

Thanks again for finding out.

G.

Theres some info on using Lithium batteries and chargers over on the Expedition Portal Gary.

@Rosy has some magical redarc thing for his lithium battery, other than the painfull initial cost, trev and I were both convinced.

Definitely seems the way forward. Give it a few years, the cost will come down.

Do we think Intervolt will be able to do an update to be able to charge all lithium batteries, or do we think there might be some sort of adapter to be able to charge lithium batteries from a agm charger?

@Rosy has some magical redarc thing for his lithium battery, other than the painfull initial cost, trev and I were both convinced.

Recard manager 30... its not without its flaws.

As you well know @fbnss its huge! and not weatherproof which means it needs to be tucked away some place nice and cosy inside the cab.

That said, I selected it from the range approved for use by the battery manufacturer and they work exceptionally well together giving me 80 usable amps from a 100Ah battery that weights just over 14kg. Recharge times in my setup are 2 hours at most and more often than not 45 minutes which means it was usually at 100% but the time trev made it up the first hill most days :icon-biggrin:.

Is it cheap... no..

Is it worth it, well as with most things that depends on your pocket, priorities and perspective. For me 80 usable amps, 5000 guaranteed cycles and 30 - 120 minutes recharge times equal zero "range anxiety" i.e. no more sleepless nights worrying about the frostiness of our precious magnums!

That's amazing charge time, and the weight, how much fuel has been burnt lugging around agm batteries ☹️

Back