Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ironman SL

BIG clean GREEN

Garage
"Happy New Year All"

Well I've just took the first step to acquiring an ironman SL by sending westcoast an e-mail with my requirements, tried to replace the bushes this morning on the front shox ready for the MOT next week, did one side in 3 hours, what an absolute ball ache, first of all to remove the old bushes which are the steel/ rubber combo type by burning the rubber off then sawing through the metal rings and knocking them out, when I came to fitting the new bushes they wouldn't go in all the way, dispite using a vice to press them in I was left with about 5mm short, so it's all gone back together eventually after quite a while trying to line the bolt hole up, one pack of cigars later and some very blue languge it's done, so I thought bo77ocks to doing the other side I'm oredering me one of them there Ironman kits and just hope it scrapes the MOT, only job I know needs to be done is to re-wire the rear fog light, with it being an import after market ones have to be fitted and mine is fubar'd !

Nick.

Nick, I know we've chatted about this and I'm not sure about your set up. Maybe it's because it's an import, but my bottom bushes on LB were just two conical rubber discs that went into the eye of the damper with a bolt through. Nothing more than that really. Might have been a tube insert in there, but it wasn't a trial at all. Got any pics? or any cigars left?

C

they look same as mine and mines a Uk car

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Are you talking about the lower shock bushes? mine is a 98 UK spec and they are just rubber and a doddle to do, the wishbone bushes are like the ones you describe only larger and are an arse to do and needed a press. Also all the bush kits that I have seen they show the the lower shock bush is rubber only and with OME suspension kits (which I have on mine) they are rubber only.

Steve

Yes they are the lower bushes and in my prado manual it shows them as that type ! They used to have the same ones on my old series landrover on the leaf springs, they's last a year with off roading then need to be replaced, and burning them out was the quickest way, in the end I swapped them for poly bushes !

Nick.

Well l've finally done it ! I've ordered an Ironman SlL"B" rated kit, should be with me by Monday, only down side is that the price has shot up due to the VAT increase and £ Vs the $ cost me £570 delivered :sick:

All I need to do now is try and get hold of an hydraulic spring press, cos uncle Chris sez he's not helping me unless I do !
so if anyone got one on loan/hire please let me know !

Cheers,

Nick.

BIG clean GREEN said:
All I need to do now is try and get hold of an hydraulic spring press, cos uncle Chris sez he's not helping me unless I do ! so if anyone got one on loan/hire please let me know
You can borrow mine if you can get it picked up & droped back :D Oh & you don't break it :lol:

Many thanks for the offer Steven, however unless someone local is travelling down your way, it could cost me more in fuel than actually buying one ! what tonnage is yours and do they need to be a particular spec for our springs ?

Cheers,

Nick.

BIG clean GREEN said:
what tonnage is yours and do they need to be a particular spec for our spring
It's rated @ 1000Kg & did the job fine even if the yolks were just a smidge to large :D All you need to know is here viewtopic.php?f=26&t=8412

These are the ones that I bought :D But I called them up & went down to pick them up as they are only 20min from my house :thumbup: The warehouse was an Aladins cave of boys toys :D

I thought of collecting however it's a 70 mile round trip and with the cost of fuel Vs £15 postage it made more sense to have it delivered, also it'll be here sooner than if I'd collected it.
God knows when I'll get it done though as I'm busy for quite a while now, maybe end of Feb, can't wait though !

:character-beavisbutthead: :banana-angel: :banana-blonde: :banana-blonde: :banana-dance: :banana-dreads: :banana-guitar: :banana-jumprope: :banana-ninja: :banana-rainbow: :banana-rock: :banana-skier: :banana-stoner: :banana-tux: :banana-wrench:

BIG clean GREEN said:
God knows when I'll get it done though as I'm busy for quite a while now, maybe in of Feb, can't wait though
It took me just a little over 3hrs to fit mine onto Fiery (half the time it took to fit the snorkel) & I fitted new flexi brake hoses @ the same time :!: You could do that one evening next week surely :D ;)

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9081

How much of that time was taken up trying to remove the top nut off the rear shocks???? Mine should be a doddle now it's got the body lift, before I did that it took a fair while to remove the nut owing to the fact you can hardly get a spanner on the thing :evil:

Nick.

BIG clean GREEN said:
How much of that time was taken up trying to remove the top nut off the rear shocks???? Mine should be a doddle now it's got the body lift, before I did that it took a fair while to remove the nut owing to the fact you can hardly get a spanner on the thing :evil:

Nick.
I used a flexi head ratchet spanner to hold the top nut stationary & then hand spun the shock on each side :D 2/3min tops for each one :thumbup:

Close your eye while your doing it though :roll: :lol:

I just used an angle grinder. It took 15 seconds. Just cut the damn thing off. Then you push the piston part back up through the hole.

Wish you lads would stop messing about.

C

Back