Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Is Land Cruiser 200 still worth keeping and repairing

Raj

Supporter
Country Flag
great_britain
Not sure which thread to post this so looked around. If its AHC, break pipes, rust or the worth of Land Cruisers in UK itself. Please advice if the car is worth keeping with these issues.

My car is 2014 LC200 4.5 V8 with 52000 miles on it. I got it in April this year. Last week it had '4 wheel AHC system check' light on and front suspension dropped to lowest position. Took to Toyota dealer. They told suspension system is gone, many small pipes running between body and frame are all corroded. There are many parts to be replaced and to do it they have separate body from frame and replace all the pipes and lot of technical stuff. This will cost about 5 days labour to start with and all the parts. Attached video. They were genuine, they called me to dealership instead of sending a small video and showed me a lot of details underneath.
So far roughly parts estimate is about 2200 before even taking it apart and it may go up. Labour around 5000 to start with and will go up.
There are somany parts to be replaced that they requested me to come tomorrow so they can make a list of all the parts needed.

Please advice if this is common for LC200s.
is it even worth getting repairs done. Can these things be fixed.
Is this common for Land Cruisers. I blindly believed that every part is made to last 25 years, can I still get it done and keep for next 20 years.

I can't comment on 200s, but as a general point, given this was purchased from a dealer only a couple of months ago, I would be returning the vehicle and seeking a refund. I certainly wouldn't entertain funding this repair yourself, Raj.

Just saw the first 25 seconds of that video... The state is shocking! Time to get a refund from the dealer, I think.

My opinion - reject the car and get a full refund. You're legally entitled to do so, no matter what the dealer says.

Thats probably why they're so keen to get it back for a 'repair' - so you dont return it!

Do you *need* a 200 for what you want to do? What advantage does it have over a 150 thats worth the expense/risk?

as others have said. get out while you can.
that motor is only 7 years old and next to no miles. they dont get any better with age..

+ 1 with all those comments Raj, that was outrageous for a main dealer to offload that on you.
They have no defence or excuses for that at all. Somethings not right there, stuff like that is normally offloaded at auctions, so they dont have embarassment or comebacks on their own forecourt. Refund only, do not let them repair, even at their cost. It will be expensive to them and they will want to cut corners. Let them bury it. Good luck mate.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Trying to imagine this was my pride and joy and looking for an alternative to the already mentioned obvious one several times .

What i'm seeing is knackered shocks and lots of bullshit , a quick google suggests you can get aftermarket suspension which could be bought and fitted by a real garage for less than half what they have quoted you - so give me £7200 and i will take the problem off your hands or give me a full refund , I will contact trading standards in 7 days if i haven't had one or the other .

Last edited:
Wow, that’s pretty bad, I had just cleaned up and sold a 64plate one for an old lady I know, it was nothing like yours underneath. My old school chum has a 15 plate, bought new and only his wife drives it, he Has had both cylinder heads replaced, and changed out all the suspension to conventional springs and shocks, I’m not 100% sure if this was because of failure or imminent failure, have a look inside the tailpipes of your exhaust, they should still be clean, and not black, this is a sign of egr failure and I think it was 8-10k for that repair
I’d be seriously looking at returning the vehicle, but would talk with trading standards to get the correct information before any further discussion with the dealer. Vehicles sold should be expected to be free from major defects for 6 months I think, there should also be a paper trail through their workshop showing inspections, defects and repairs made prior to the sale to customer. If defects like these are not being recognised by the technicians during this preparation stage I’m sure trading standards would become very interested in the establishment.. Any remarks on the mot history for corrosio, further ammunition for you to take back to the dealer

I'm with shayne.

Aftermarket suspension and get on the phone to @Trevor to get the underside protected at some point.

We are going to see hundreds of these in the coming years

Reject it and get a refund. I would be constantly wondering what else might be wrong with it?

The dealer will try and BS you and carry out a "repair" but as others have said, they will probably cut corners to do so.

If they don't play ball, I would send a letter from your solicitor to the dealer principal and also get Toyota UK involved, if necessary.

That should not have been sold to you Raj or anyone some of the trucks Stuzbot looked at were in better condition please ask them for your money back you got video evidence best seek some good legal advice oh and ask for the new tyres as well best of luck

I'd also go with seeking a refund from the selling dealer. If you'd bought it 18 months or a year ago I'd go with Shayne's solution but purchased in April with this much wrong with it, repair at your cost is totally unacceptable IMO. Good luck with your claim.

Just read the post again. Missed when it was bought .
Have an independent Check done on the car then seek legal advice. if Its all the underside then personally I'd get a wedge of money off the dealer and keep the car if I wanted too. If the check came back that it's really bad maybe give it back to toyot with a refund and look for another. It would be worth paying someone who knows what to look for when buying the next.

Dear All,

Thank you very much for advising me on what to do. I went blank, its such a big shock. I never had any such experience with any sort of bad product. Got car on 17April21 As you all suggested, I still have option of repair or replace or full refund.

I loved this car too much or bad luck. Red V8 LC200 was the only thing on my mind. Even before taking it out for first long drive, got windows tinted, changed all 4 new tyres, serviced at Toyota. Lots more planned for maintenance next month, then this happened.

I will explore all my options. There was some miscommunication, I got this car from a independent dealer not toyota dealer so will see how it goes. Luckily I saved the autotrader ad for reference.
This dealer has 287 5 star reviews. I read reviews and description of the car several times and felt its good one. While I was still thinking on it, the finance guy told this dealer is very good and I need not think too much. Then I went ahead and got the car. I asked for checking breaks, acceleration and few body panel gaps. They told all those will be sorted out on pre-delivery inspections and corrected body panel gaps and did breaks but dont know why this big issue didnt come to notice.

Thank you very much for all your replies and advice.

Are there any good solicitors or professionals advisors in our group to help me out in such situations? for assessment, drafting letters and handling situation without conflict.

Attachments

• LC.pdf
    448.8 KB · Views: 85
Lawyers are incredibly lazy mainly because the longer things take the more money they make , so your first step is to write your own statement of facts which is basically a diary recounting in chronological order all that led to your complaint .

All that's left after that is due process, for which you don't actually need a lawyer. Any letters should be sent to both the finance company and the car dealer .

Go here Reporting to Trading Standards - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

As others have said... Seek advice from Trading Standards......... But more shocking is a Toyota Landcruiser Barely 7yrs old can be in such a state..... Shame on previous owner and Toyota...... Iv seen 20yr + Trucks in better condition.... Not many 'Tho'......

Yes thank you Tony, I too wish to get money back n wait until next good Red LC comes, I started drafting email to dealer. Will see where it leads.

Yes Higgy, I too went ahead and got the car as it’s unexpected for LC of this age to become like that. My Accord is 20 year old, 130K, Lexus RX is 15 year old n they r rock solid. This accord is special and ll last 1 million miles as it’s designed and built by engineers in UK.
expected same with LC 200

Back