Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Is Land Cruiser 200 still worth keeping and repairing

...Get your self a decent Range Rover... :thumbup: .... Crack On!

I'm not sure Land Rover products have the best of reputations when it comes to reliability.

IH8MUD is probably the best source of info for the 200 series. There is also a 200 series Facebook group that has some interesting stuff.

The developing hemisphere seem to quite like the 200 and the tech that it has. There was always going to be some concern but it was the same when Land Rover changed from leafs to coils.

I do hope you can get your money back because it is a very expensive lesson if you can't.

I left a review and question on Toyota discussion forum and asked if its a manufacturer quality issue. My 20 year old Red Honda Accord is fit to be on road for next 10 years. I have a dream overland plan, even Accord could do that without issues but Red LC200 is my dream vehicle so I got it. If not Land Cruiser 200 I wouldn't have purchased any car. To test Honda Accord, I send it to random and sometimes most expensive MOT centres but it never really got any serious advisory. Just the minor things like 'child car seat there so cant test seat belts' 'Tyres nearing age' etc.

I am also thinking if Jemca Toyota was wrong get one last expert opnion. But each time I get any opinion I have to pay 100-150£. Is there any expert land cruiser owner from our group near reading who can come and check the car and give a opnion. I wont be a burden, I can pay for time and effort or any way.

Raj..I would try to use social media as a platform to Shaming the Dealer who sold you the motor, And to shame Toyota.. No way should it be in such a state even if it sat at the bottom of the North Sea for 7 yrs...... But that's just me venting anger because i despise Toyota, They made One half decent Truck between 1990 and 1998 and that's it....The rest is No different to any other 4x4 King of the road rubbish that's out there....... 'Bloody Fuckers'!!!.... If you ever get your Money back, Get your self a decent Range Rover... :thumbup: .... Crack On!

Isn't this the same situation with LR's and many other vehicles though? The condition of Raj's 200 is truly shocking and I would like to know where and how it has been used. That amount of corrosion after only 7 years of normal road use just doesn't add up. Many dealers, certainly main dealers, submit used vehicles to multi point inspections prior to resale. I don't know the detail of Raj's purchase/sale agreement but how can a vehicle in that condition pass such an inspection?

Without any evidence to prove otherwise, I can't think of anything other than a boat launcher that's never been cleaned under. Even winter driving with salted roads won't get this bad so quickly (?)

Isn't this the same situation with LR's and many other vehicles though? The condition of Raj's 200 is truly shocking and I would like to know where and how it has been used. That amount of corrosion after only 7 years of normal road use just doesn't add up. Many dealers, certainly main dealers, submit used vehicles to multi point inspections prior to resale. I don't know the detail of Raj's purchase/sale agreement but how can a vehicle in that condition pass such an inspection?

It doesn't look like the car came from a main Toyota dealer.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Attachments

• B0D2ECD2-A7A9-419F-87C7-373ED956A042.jpeg
    B0D2ECD2-A7A9-419F-87C7-373ED956A042.jpeg
    374.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 2A378490-505D-4FFD-B502-B5F3901D486A.jpeg
    2A378490-505D-4FFD-B502-B5F3901D486A.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 38B44730-A93A-4465-9DEA-CD1EDB83D8C0.jpeg
    38B44730-A93A-4465-9DEA-CD1EDB83D8C0.jpeg
    262.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 61FDE3C5-57B1-4557-960B-A8C3C2286D39.jpeg
    61FDE3C5-57B1-4557-960B-A8C3C2286D39.jpeg
    532.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 17D790BF-3BD6-4675-880B-FD5CC5F2BC58.jpeg
    17D790BF-3BD6-4675-880B-FD5CC5F2BC58.jpeg
    413.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 0A770640-4968-4DBA-ABB9-6C98E6DBA99D.jpeg
    0A770640-4968-4DBA-ABB9-6C98E6DBA99D.jpeg
    409.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 312D0370-8DB6-4D76-936B-D8936BB493B4.jpeg
    312D0370-8DB6-4D76-936B-D8936BB493B4.jpeg
    458.7 KB · Views: 57
  • E015F73A-B8BE-4CBD-B3C8-480D49157954.jpeg
    E015F73A-B8BE-4CBD-B3C8-480D49157954.jpeg
    464.5 KB · Views: 57
  • D84BA2B0-F93F-4482-BF76-2A5BECDFC0F2.jpeg
    D84BA2B0-F93F-4482-BF76-2A5BECDFC0F2.jpeg
    490.4 KB · Views: 63
Dang my screenshot of me asking their live chat why they are ripping people off by selling rusty ruined Landcruisers won't load here .

This dealer is 5 star dealer. I read most of their 250+ reviews not even 4.9, it’s all 300 5 stars

Below video of under bonnet. 90% of normal buyers won’t be able to spot anything wrong

Never buy any 4x4 without first looking underneath it , even Range Rovers are work horses to some people so they might look shiny on top despite having been driven through bogs and salt water on a daily basis for years .

Do you know where the vehicle spent most of its life Raj? If you check the MOT history I think you can get the garage locations if you put the v5 number in to prove you own it....

Raj, i'm going to suggest something different to the others because i can't see them willingly refunding just like that and i reckon you can get what you want out of them.

A bit of negotiation needs to be done here, you've already put money into the vehicle so it might be worth letting the seller fix the vehicle for you.
I'd do away with the hydraulic suspension and suggest they fit a proper make (Pedders?) traditional suspension kit, you want new quality shockers all round and new brake and fuel pipes, plus new brake calipers because the current ones are already riddled with rust.
You also require them to get a professional bodyshop to systematically remove and treat the existing rust with rusted parts treated and painted properly, then a final coat of a preparation like Krown, including inside the chassis and box sections and all the body cavities too, all this at their expense with photos taken of every stage, you certainly do not want just a coat of bloody waxoyl spraying on...oh with a coating of waxoyl type stuff it'll look the dogs bollocks for about 12 months but underneath that rust will be creeping continually.
All this needs to be in writing of course so there's no misunderstandings.

They might not want to do this, but it's going to cost them more to refund you and then try to resell the car because its now currently a known problem.
Apart from the pipes calipers and shockers the chassis itself appears solid, so i believe you can still have a very good vehicle out of this.

Certainly i'd speak to them and see what they intend to do before it gets to bad mouthing bad publicity stage, course if they'll refund you that's fine too but what about the money you've already spent.

My opinion of how its got this bad is i suspect the vehicle ended up standing most of last year's mass house arrest after being subject to massive salt covering over the winter, possibly Scotland, unless a suggested it was a boat launcher. or the previous owner(s) liked driving on a beach.

Maybe the Pic's from Raj should be posted on The Land Rover owners site, It would give THEM! something to giggle about for a change, Instead of Land Cruiser owners Laughing at them, "What comes around" and all that...... :lol:

Car was purchased in in Border Toyota and was in Dumfries I guess until 2018 as 2018 MOT was from dumfries. Since 2018 its near Brighton. In 2018 its mileage was 38K, since then its only done 12K miles in 3 years. Probably sitting there with the mud and salt to work its way. Near Brighton its MOT was always done at same centre. This is also a second hand car sales centre. The dealer who sold me told this car was from an old man so its understood why it was left like that.

From all the advices and opinions from here I planned to have below workout strategy. I already spent about 2000£ on the car. I was about to change transmission oil, suspension oil and the suspensions myself in August if this issue didnt happen. I thought of getting them changed from Frogs island 4x4 as they are near me, visited them and talked to them twice. They are approachable and they also worked on overland ready land cruisers.

1. Try for full refund. I might have to try hard for this, go to 3rd party.
2. Dealer already asked me to give the car back to them so they will do proper job and give it back to me (Not sure if the expense is on them or me)
3. If we could get to some conclusion on actual condition of the car and what needs to be done, I will propose him to get the repair done at a place decided by me. I will give him few options. I want to have the car repaired at a 3rd party where we both will have access to.
4. I will get my old mechanic (he dosent have a garage but he is honest) and show him the car and probably get it done by him or similar other person.
5.If nothing above happens will go to ombudsman, solicitor and court route.

If option 1 is not beneficial, I will go for 2 or 3. If none of these work will go for option 4. I am going with mindset that dealer might be genuine or this might be his first 4x4 so didnt knew that these cars much. Assuming he sold car with all good intentions but it went wrong. Its a lesson for him too. Something should workout and either I ll get another car like the one attached by Shayne in a year or two or this car comes out from garage as good as it is meant to be.

Thank you again

If you really like the car, and the fact that you have spent on it already, then ensuring the repairs are completed to a good standard is the best way, you won’t get the refund of what you’ve spent from the dealer. I would seriously think about removing AHC altogether and going for a conventional set up, but make sure you get decent and matched set up for your needs / loading. Then look at getting some treatment and coating on the underside and you have most of the preventive measures done you will encounter on any other vehicle you buy to replace it.
Be prepared with costs for the repair at Toyota, have the price of a conventional set up, the price of the underbody treatments and use them as a negotiation with the seller, you may be able to make a deal to have it all done at no cost to yourself
I have driven two 200’s with both the AHC & Ironman conventional set up and wouldn’t complain about either.

Be prepared with the facts of what you want, what you are legally entitled to and the minimum you will accept before doing any negotiations with the seller, and good luck!

Reactions: Raj
Do they still put the previous owner details on the V5? You wouldn't lose anything by asking them whether they used it to launch a boat. Whilst it isn't going to help to resolve it, it may help understand what the possible cause is.

Independent Technical Report Vehicle Assessment - Motor Ombudsman - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club] is quite interesting and suggests getting a joint (you and the dealer) inspection might be a good way forward as it means you have some common ground. There is a list of companies providing independent reports.

Hopefully the dealer will put his hands up and sort it out but I think the best outcome for you would be to get a refund and then look for another LC 200.

Gotta say I am confused by the comments about not being able to get a full refund - the vehicle is very clearly not fit for purpose - I don't believe the dealer has much of a leg to stand on, though I suppose he might drag it out, which will be no fun.

That said, okay, other comments stand - but personally I'd be pushing the refund button. What else is rotten/corroded under there? If it has been used as a boat launcher then everything will have been exposed to salt water, and electrical gremlins will be following very shortly. Salt water exposure is the gift that keeps on giving...

Either way, I wish you the very best of luck, Raj.

Agree with Dave. Refund gives you the most options, then you can do what you want. Anything else is a compromise based on a position you have been forced into.

If you get a refund, you can to offer to buy the damn thing back for £20K less if you like it so much - once the money is in your pocket again, its all up to you.

Remember to involve the finance company, they will be interested to hear whats going on, you might even have a claim against them.

Maybe check with the citizens advice bureau if you want a legal steer, they're usually quite good.

Back