Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Is Land Cruiser 200 still worth keeping and repairing

Just now got description of faults from Toyota. They informed it’s not even worth repairing n suggested to get money back. One must be the most unlucky person on planet to get such low mileage LC200 with this condition.
toyota suggested to complain to Autotrader directly and claim money back.

TBH I'm not surprised at the condition of this 200 series. A good while ago I had my friends 200 series on the ramp for a pulling to the left problem. I think it was 2 years old and I was dismayed to see the rust starting to take hold at that stage. Apart from the ridiculous money they hold, the potential corrosion problems hold me back from considering one.

What was the comments from the Toyota garage that you took it to..... Or were they not interested, Or basically think its Normal....Would be good to hear the Mechanics Thoughts or the dealerships thoughts.......

TBH I'm not surprised at the condition of this 200 series. A good while ago I had my friends 200 series on the ramp for a pulling to the left problem. I think it was 2 years old and I was dismayed to see the rust starting to take hold at that stage. Apart from the ridiculous money they hold, the potential corrosion problems hold me back from considering one.
Seems to be a theme that the newer the Landcruiser the more it will suffer from rust....
You can only suspect that building the 80 gained Toyota a lot of customers after the rust prone 60's but wasn't good for long term sales of new vehicles if they lasted 25 + years so steps were taken to make sure the vehicles had a limited life span....
I looked at a brand new 100 series in 2006 in a dealer show room and it already had rust in places from lack of paint.... not bad rust but areas that would be rusty in 3 winters time....the dealers staff thought I was strange because I lay under a brand new vehicle....

So sorry to hear that Raj, but now you have got a professional opinion from a Toyota garage it's not worth repairing. That, to me, just strengthens your case to get your money back.
If you can, ask them to give you a report in writing, and all dealings with supplier written only, and keep copies.
Good luck

If you want legal advice, listen to or call LBC Legal hour tonight at 9pm - they always have people on there rejecting cars!

Some geezer was told he could reject his last week because his apple car play was wired, but he had specifically specified wireless when he bough the car. (Was a £50K second hand car too!)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
One Toyota felt its not expected for car of this age. However, they said this is expected for cars from coastal areas with bad maintenance.
For the repairs, they said around 15000 would be rough start estimate and it ll go up as they open up the car and its not worth repairing as they cant guarantee that the car will stay good afterwards. Other mechanic from Toyota felt its expensive if done at dealer so check options outside if I still want to keep car.

Prior to this issue, when I drove to wales it was very good, very quiet, very good in terms of soaking up bumps and ride quality etc. Even now, if we sit inside the cabin every thing works perfectly but all the horror story in underneath :).

Attachments

• Repair discription 2.jpg
    Repair discription 2.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Repair discription 3.jpg
    Repair discription 3.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Repair discription.jpg
    Repair discription.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Repair parts required.jpg
    Repair parts required.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG-1981 Service advisory.jpg
    IMG-1981 Service advisory.jpg
    414.8 KB · Views: 54
Karl, I am on LBC listening and if there is a phone number i ll call and ask. Thank you

That's a real shame and I hope you can get a refund.

I went to look at a silver 64 reg 200 that is £5 short of £50k and has only done 28,000 miles. The bodywork was perfect, the inside was OK although it hadn't had the dog hair or some type of animal feed removed from it. Underneath unfortunately it was in a bit of a sad state with quite a lot of corrosion. I don't know whether the dealer had driven it round a muddy field to try and cover up the rust or it was the permanent application of mud that had caused the corrosion. I didn't put in an offer.

Good luck with sorting it out.

I know this car, it came up after i got mine. I remember seller describing it as its preserved with trickle charger ...one of the best in the country. It also mentioned that its serviced by Reading Toyota.
My car too has lot of mud underneath. Is this a coincidence or is it a standard trick to load it with muddy clay so corrosion cant be noticed?

Just today I got my diagnosis report from same Reading Toyota and he mentioned that its always better to buy LC200 from toyota dealer. Dont know if he remembered this car or he was just simply was not happy with independent dealers selling these cars with wrong info on condition. Bad Land Cruisers sold as very good condition ones will eventually damage Toyota image.

Karl, I am on LBC listening and if there is a phone number i ll call and ask. Thank you
Hi Raj,

Seems to be all about travel this week, unfortunately! You can get the previous ones on the LBC app (or YouTube probably) and there wil be plenty of advice there about rejection rights! Or give them a ring next Friday (consumer hour) or Saturday (legal hour) at 9pm...

Yes its all about travel but useful:). As I said I never had any such bad experience so have no idea on returns, refunds or any such issues. Every little bit is a learning now

Real shame to read this Raj, as per previous posts you need to go back to the seller.
I would go and speak to them with a copy of the report from Toyota.
Did I read correctly it's on a finance agreement?
If so speak to them also, they own the vehicle financially and if you tell them you want to reject it due to the unroadworthy condition etc they will listen.

Had people reject vehicles for much less even for trim rattles!

Yes its all about travel but useful:). As I said I never had any such bad experience so have no idea on returns, refunds or any such issues. Every little bit is a learning now
I bought a 3 year old Ford Ranger a couple of years back - had an issue with the rear axle/wiring harness - returned it within 6 weeks for a full refund - no argument. My argument being that the vehicle was not fit for purpose. Good luck.

On a side note , is it not par for course to change Toyota's fancy suspension for a traditional set up ?

We don't see many 200's on the forum but i think the question has popped up more than a few times relating to the 100 series with what i assume has similar self adjusting nonsense ?

I don’t remember where I read but it was on AHC reliability and issues. He said Toyota/Lexus AHC is very reliable with added advantage of comfortable ride.
on the other hand I also read for overlanding conventionalcsuspension is more practical. Don’t know if conventional one can be as comfortable as AHC.
if it was only suspension, I would ve got it changed directly at Toyota or even gone for conventional one. T said body has to be lifted completely from frame and replace all the pipes, like suspension pipes, fuel pipes, break pipes. Don’t know if Toyota was blowing up the situation or it’s fact.
I called Browns autos (seller) he told he want the car back so he can repair it properly.
I am preparing a big email for requesting refund. I ll send it to finance company, brown autos and autotrader. To autotrader I ll ask to check their ads authenticity for land cruisers. If in bad condition atleast it should be informed and priced accordingly so customers will prepare budget for after sales repairs.

These are overpriced, which is still acceptable but customers should atleast get reliable cars. There is no difference between a disco and land cruiser. It’s damaging Land cruiser reputability

I just remembered this Raj which may or not appeal to you when you get your refund . Note the silly suspension has been replaced with traditional already .

Raj..I would try to use social media as a platform to Shaming the Dealer who sold you the motor, And to shame Toyota.. No way should it be in such a state even if it sat at the bottom of the North Sea for 7 yrs...... But that's just me venting anger because i despise Toyota, They made One half decent Truck between 1990 and 1998 and that's it....The rest is No different to any other 4x4 King of the road rubbish that's out there....... 'Bloody Fuckers'!!!.... If you ever get your Money back, Get your self a decent Range Rover... :thumbup: .... Crack On!

Back