David

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Can't post a link but is this 80 worth going to look at
ebay number 321064990822
David

I'd say it's well over top end money for what is probably a very disappointing truck. It looks a bit loppy in the pics which means in the flesh it will be worse. It's pretty old. But of course it all depends on what you are looking for. There are some better examples around.

Chris

Quick edit there. If that's a 1993, how come it has that plate on it? I know it a personal plate but it begins with N. You can't have that. Personal plates must not make a car appear newer than it is. Any suggestions there chaps?

Last edited:
Is it an import or a UK spec truck? I thought the VX trim came with leather seats and air con, this has neither.
The plate is an old NI plate which were not age related.

I realised that it was an NI plate, you see quite a few, so is that exempt from that rule then?

It says VX, but it doesn't have air con as far as I can see, but it has lockers. So more like a GX.

Ok in the flesh it might turn out OK but seen a lot and been disappointed more times than I've been happy

Chris

Its pretty much identical to my own truck and its not an import. i think you could get the vx manual in cloth trim. Miles are pretty low on this truck if they can be verified. I definitely think its worth a look and maybe that would put you in a position to haggle. I flew to england several times before finding a decent one. i paid a bit less than this for mine and had to replace four tyres and the tailgate. What really sold it to me was the chassis and body were immaculate. I think its worth a look and there are people looking a lot more for less truck. Given the fairly relabale engine the first thing i would do is look underneath it and also pay close attention to the condition of the rear locker

actually note it is listed as a 93 but date of first reg is 92....to me that would make a difference on price....personally I would rather have the rear disc brakes, ABS and the few other minor mods you get on the post 92 trucks. also it not fitted with cdl switch on the dash - wasn't that standard on pre 93 models or have i got the wrong way around...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That was rather my point. It has the older wheels, so it's an older truck. At that money, I think they are looking at export. See what it says about getting it to a port? Exporters will pay that kind of money. I know I wouldn't.

Chris

I realised that it was an NI plate, you see quite a few, so is that exempt from that rule then?

Chris
Yes.
The N on the plate is not a year marker ('95 from memory) as over here. It is a serial letter. The next 2 letters are the County of registration. IJ is County Down. My LC was bought new and registered in NI in Jan '98 on a BLZ plate (Armagh) and re-registered in March '98 on a 'R' plate over here. Back then you had to re-register. Nowadays you can keep a NI plate over here, as many do, as a private plate.

Can't post a link but is this 80 worth going to look at
ebay number 321064990822
David

I couldn't post links yesterday but only on this site . I eventually worked out i needed to click on this box so i could see the curser waiting for me to type then i could paste links in .

Last edited:
i spoke to the lady in the week and she did go and check and it has lockers and its a uk car. so she says i have asked for some picture but not come through yet.
my problem with it is its got no history at all. so you have no idea what jobs have or havnt been done. plus long way from my house if its going to be sh1t.
i do have a bad feeling with this one so i will not be looking

Both my VX spec UK 80s had/have the cloth trim and no air con - The leather and air were options on the VX in UK (until the face lift when they became standard - but the GX was never offered in UK). The CDL switch only in very early UK trucks and some facelifted ones neither my 91 nor my 94 had one to begin with

Those are 15in wheels, so smaller rear discs and no ABS - early truck and well over priced though the mileage is quite low for its age. Lockers and rear seats/slidey windows imply UK truck but...

Simply put I wouldn't at that price.

(All of the above should be caveated with the words "I think...")

that does look a nice truck Chris,but as we have said before," the path to a tidy 80 series is usually strewn with disappointed viewings"
Nothing looks as good in the flesh as it does on a photo!!

Andy

Agree completely Andy, but the point is that this one IS worth looking at. Not far from CWC and at the same sort of money as the slightly dog-eared one that he posted originally. If I was after a 94 12v auto, I would be driving North at this very moment to look at that one. If it's as straight as it would need to be to buy it, it looks like it would make a decent one.

Chris

Trouble is they are so well built a lack of maintenance will not be obvious imo a truck with only one previous owner and no recent service history is likely to be better than a truck with 5 previous owners and a full service history suspiciously all written and stamped with exactly the same ink by the garage thats selling it .

More owners, more fiddling. These are 20 year old trucks Shayne. Service history? All Toyota do is change the oil. They don't fiddle about in the axles. I'd rather have one that hasn't had much maintenance than have one where idiots have had a go at maintaining it. If I pull the hub on an 80 and it looks like no one has ever been in there before me, it's a bonus. If it looks disturbed I just know I am going to have to do the lot and that I will find bodge after bodge along the way.

When after a vehicle like this I don't even look for service history. MOT, tax, rust free chassis, tight engine, working box, complete back door, some brakes and it's a good un.

Chris

Yeah Chris we are looking at the same thing from opposite angles . Mine had one women owner who had the truck serviced by Toyota religiously for the first 10 years but it's never seen a spanner since which as you say is a bonus because its unmolested .

Sure, but yours is a 90 Shayne. They tend not to get some much fiddling. They need very little adjustment, which is a real strength. Change the oil and they'll go forever. Anyway, get yourself up to Bradford and get that one bought

C

I'd love an 80 but just can't justify a truck that size , truth is my 90 is just a runabout and a toy i dread to think what i will do when its time to replace her coz they aint built a truck in 20 years that interests me .

Last edited:
Back