Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

iwan's 70's!

A couple of good points there lads. It's pretty tight in there!
20140922_104728.jpg
The turbo air feed alloy pipe is at the end closest to the hindges and the egr unit on the inlet manifold spaces it up quite a bit.
20140922_104705.jpg
The turbo is set real high too. So worried that the bonnet will get too much heat and burn..
20140922_104743.jpg
Really like the shape of the bonnet on these early 70's. They have the shape of the 40 series bonnet pressed into them. Old school! Kinda want to keep the standard look with it..it's all fun tho!!!:icon-biggrin:

I would go with Gavs suggestion of a scoop Iwan a 50mm lift would make the truck look out of proportion and dare i say top heavy , besides you just cut a hole and bolt it on , an hours work max , how long will it take you to add a body lift and alter engine mounts !

We crossed posts looking at your pic the bonnet doesn't really support the scoop idea , best i can think of is to cut out and raise the formed center of the bonnet but surely that would be time consuming .

Last edited:
50mm lift is fine if you run 30mm wheel spacers. Not sure a 50mm lift will give the gain you need for the bonnet. Reckon it's time for the lift, spacers and cut out the bonnet for a supercharger :lol:

Just run with out the bonnet simples. I ran my Defender without one a few times and its very strange. you end up watching the fan go around and crashing

Some great ideas going around guys! Much more interesting than work! Planning on running big tyres and have some 30mm wheel spacers here.
I will have to see if I can get the egr programmed out of the ecu then can loose the egr spacer block on the inlet then reroute the turbo pipework away from the top. Would help I think.
Was thinking of using a water to air intercooler.... if it will fit in! Still got the air conditioning rad to fit in the front too. Its filling up under that bonnet lol!:think: Thanks guys!:thumbup:

Personally, I think if you can drop the engine in the bay you should work on that rather than any lift/bonnet scoop. And by the looks of it it'll be more than 50mm clearance you need, I would estimate near double.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
70 swap 004.jpg
I agree with the setting of the engine mount heights. But there's an air of caution with how low you go as the IFS sump will come into contact with the front axle if dropped too much. This is the 1kzt that I fitted to my 1st lj70 in 2010 ish.
70 swap 018.jpg
The trouble here was less of an issue that I have on the current 70 project. Cambelt cover was stopping the bonnet from closing! Or too close for comfort! Looking here the 1kzt is a hell of a lot leaner on the top side! In comparison:think:
70 swap 016.jpg
So with the mount loose and the 1kzt sat at the same height as the D4D is.
70 swap 015.jpg
I believe the senario is identical to the current, height wise upto the top of the block.
70 swap 019.jpg
So I scribed the mount down untill the rocker cover was level about 25mm. You can also tell from the casting line on the block there now that it is much more level.
I didnt go any lower as didnt want it to look wrong with the engine sloping downwards on the cambelt end.

It will help for sure! :thumbup: Cheers man..

In my (fairly ignorant) opinion, a body lift won't make it too top heavy, excessive suspension lifts are different, but the bodies are not too heavy unlike lifting everything (chassis, engine, tranny, etc).

My top heavy comment relates to cosmetics or appearance mind you i would love to see a 70 with -32 offset wheels plus 1" wheel spacers and bushwacker flares i think the rear sets meant for a jeep wrangler would look great on a 70 , they do on an LR 90 . A body lift wouldn't matter then coz the dimensions would balance out .

Last edited:
Ah-ha, aesthetics! For the same reasons, I wouldn't want a scoop! Too "boy-racer" for me and I love the original body shape of the truck. Now overarches are a different matter, they're an essential "safety" mod :lol:

No offence Shayne, in fact the scoop and the way you've finished it on your truck looks just fine. It's the "classic" body shape I would be afraid to modify too much on the 70.

Well after many months of attention to this project. .. I have managed to find the thread way back and am happy to say that I am on the case with the project!

On Saturday I lifted the rolling chassis out of the area that it rested for a while. Spent a few hrs and got the chassis fully painted with 3m under seal...

Rained on Sunday but on Monday morning was back on the case. I dropped in my modified collorado 1kzt ( e ) with the daihatsu rocky manual diesel pump fitted.

Next went on to drop the body on after putting 3 tins of the 3m shultz. . Man the underside of the shell is one of the finest Ive seen and now fully protected.

IMG-20160503-WA0002.jpeg

Mega happy with it. About a year back I managed to get hold of the rest of the front end parts.

IMG-20160503-WA0000.jpeg

The bonnet is naff but the rest of the front end is great

Ive done 12 1/2 hrs so far. Happy with the progress. . Am on the case with it!

1540310d1424062594-landcruiser-kzj-70-sheryar-2.jpg

Saw this on the web and got some inspiration to pick this project up and get it operational!

Nice work. :thumbup:

Maybe I could use a Daihatsu Rocky manual fuel pump on a 1KZ in my new 70. :think:

Nice work. :thumbup:

Maybe I could use a Daihatsu Rocky manual fuel pump on a 1KZ in my new 70. :think:

This is it mate! Basically 4 cylinder denso diesel pumps are all the same. Plunger size is the one. I've tried to research the plunger size on the web with no success.

But after originally setting it up with the pump set "centrally" .. never seen so much smoke in the workshop. So got a dail gauge on it and set to 1.60 ... man a sweet runner!

20160303_100721.jpg

The proof will be in the running though. As yet hasn't been tested.

Been really nice to see an abandoned project taking some attention. My interest is high and can't loose the momentum!

Looking good Iwan. So was it not engine mounts lowered and 50mm lift, but an engine change in the end away from the d4d?

Last edited:
Cheers mate! Originally the plan was to use the D4D with the bundera front end which I had fitted... But hit a problem with the immobiliser. .. sent the ecu and immobiliser parts off to get it scrubbed which took ages to get done.

Fitted it but couldn't get the engine to run. I tried quite a few times testing the loom etc. So it put a real block on the project and took it all appart.

Luckily after the brown gold front end came available and there's a lot more height in the engine bay with the square light front plus the 1kzt ( e ) is not as tall as the D4D. .. so its a much smoother engine fit.

Its working out better in the long run! Thanks!

This is it mate! Basically 4 cylinder denso diesel pumps are all the same. Plunger size is the one. I've tried to research the plunger size on the web with no success.

But after originally setting it up with the pump set "centrally" .. never seen so much smoke in the workshop. So got a dail gauge on it and set to 1.60 ... man a sweet runner!

View attachment 42890
The proof will be in the running though. As yet hasn't been tested.

Been really nice to see an abandoned project taking some attention. My interest is high and can't loose the momentum!

NICE! :thumbup:

I will be interested to see how it goes. I cant decide between a 1KZ-T or a Lexus V8 petrol. :think:

Have managed to keep some progression going with this..

Have got the body lined up correctly and the mounts bolted up. Have steering and hand brake. Have the props and clutch hooked up.

Been beginning to look at the wiring a bit of a PITA as its a 2lte bodied truck so the instrument panel wiring goes from the ecu and the wiring from the gearbox is interconnected with the ecu wiring. So that's going to take a bit of working out. Be nice to get a UK or non ecu behind dash(front) loom to remove this issue.

Last Saturday I masked off the front wings, front inner panel, front outer panel and the one good inner wing. Then under sealed them well.. nice and protected for the future.
20160514_184951.jpg

Good to see some underseal on the wing to inner junction
20160514_194314.jpg

Have picked the best bonnet from 3 that I have.. was undented but it got blown over by the wind previously, so a little dented but not out of shape!
20160514_194341.jpg

I am still undecided whether to lower the engine mounts as the oil filler is close to the out of shape bonnet. Thinking to use a rocker cover of the early 1kzt as the filler is lower and on the right and extended in height and on the left on the collorado later version (that's the way to differentiate between early and later 1kzt engines) if they haven't had the rocker swapped of course! Or above the exhaust manifold there's either 1a 1b etc compared to 2a 2b , just a bit of info for reference!

It's just a case of just chipping away at it!!:think:

Reactions: Ben
Once again I've neglected this thread and I did many more hours on it. It's on the road and it's a real belter!
I've loads or quite a lot pictures with info on what has ended up as a truly great combination of toyota parts ranging from 1988 to 2004! I will be updating this soon!:icon-biggrin::cool::thumbup:

Back