Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Just a thought

Bat21

Supporter
Country Flag
morocco
[Devils advocate mode on]
How long can the what oil, what belts, what tyres, I've got the biggest knob type questions keep folk logging on for?

I know we have the riveting word game and the ever so exciting Two word game threads but is this all this place is going to be about?

As this site appears to consist of 99% adult men do we have to comply with Watch with Mother regulation 694 PtII before posting?
[/Devils advocate mode off]

I just keep logging on to see what people havd posted, some good stuff and some crap stuff ;) Like me with the Belt thread. It was not something I hadnoticed in the 2 years I have had the 80. But when looking at another one I noticed it had only one.

Paul

Okay as you asked..

The reason i log on is that when i have a problem or an issue or even a thought, i like to run it past other people who know what they are talking about. The sad fact is that even Toyota main dealers seem know nothing about Landcruisers these days but guys on here do. You may be an engineer but i am not and i need this resource as i do not have an infinite supply of cash to keep going back to Mr T for misdiagnosis after misdiagnosis while they bumble their way to a solution.

The second reason is that it is nice on occasion to get together with a few of the other guys and take the truck out to do the activity it was built for. I am not experienced enough and my truck does not have enough equipment to go out safely on my own, nor do i know the routes, nor is it particularly safe. Plus i can't see the enjoyment in going out alone.

The third and probably most important reason is that not so long ago a friend of mine got his truck stuck halfway down a greenlane (after one of the ill advised solo greenlaning outings touched on above) , i could not help him as my vehicle couldn't get to him and i caused significant damage trying. i posted an appeal for help at about 2000 on a Monday night and within 10 minutes i had 3 or more people offering to come out in the middle of the night and the pouring rain to help a friend of mine who they had never even met.

This is why i'm a member of this forum, if people want to kick ideas back and forth about oil, tyres, kit or whatever then what's the harm? it takes an incredibly arrogant individual to think he can't learn anything from others, particularly a newbie like myself who has only owned and landcruiser for just over a year. Essentially there are some really nice, genuine and skilled guys on this forum and i think it's awesome.

Why, do you think were doomed!!!

Tommo&Claire said:
The reason i log on is that when i have a problem or an issue or even a thought, i like to run it past other people who know what they are talking about. The sad fact is that even Toyota main dealers seem know nothing about Landcruisers these days but guys on here do. You may be an engineer but i am not and i need this resource as i do not have an infinite supply of cash to keep going back to Mr T for misdiagnosis after misdiagnosis while they bumble their way to a solution.

Agreed.

This is the primary reason why I joined this (and many other LC forums). Unfortunately, I'm not very experienced when it comes to actually getting the spanners out and getting my hands dirty. But it is forums like that give me the confidence (along with Max Ellery et al) to even think about approaching a problem in DIY mode.

Also many forums have a community spirit, IMO much like visiting your local pub, where you can discuss matters in a friendly atmosphere and "friends" will do there best to help and support you.

Long may it continue. :)

Tommo&Claire said:
Okay as you asked..

The second reason is that it is nice on occasion to get together with a few of the other guys and take the truck out to do the activity it was built for. I am not experienced enough and my truck does not have enough equipment to go out safely on my own, nor do i know the routes, nor is it particularly safe. Plus i can't see the enjoyment in going out alone.

The third and probably most important reason is that not so long ago a friend of mine got his truck stuck halfway down a greenlane (after one of the ill advised solo greenlaning outings touched on above) , i could not help him as my vehicle couldn't get to him and i caused significant damage trying. i posted an appeal for help at about 2000 on a Monday night and within 10 minutes i had 3 or more people offering to come out in the middle of the night and the pouring rain to help a friend of mine who they had never even met.
This is why i'm a member of this forum, if people want to kick ideas back and forth about oil, tyres, kit or whatever then what's the harm? it takes an incredibly arrogant individual to think he can't learn anything from others, particularly a newbie like myself who has only owned and landcruiser for just over a year. Essentially there are some really nice, genuine and skilled guys on this forum and i think it's awesome.
Why, do you think were doomed!!!

Good for you Tommo, I think I'm in exactly the same boat as you and I echo every one of your words, as you point out help is just a few clicks away. :D :D
Chas

I'd vote for that!

Moreover, I have just sold a Land Cruiser on here and I didn't even place an advert! And, even if I had, it would have been free and I wouldn't have had to jump through Simon's hoops to do it.

I now have people going to see Cruisers on my behalf with no compelling reason to do so. You are a nice bunch - even if half of you are foreign ;) Sorry Les, there is now Border Control into Yorkshire from Lancs.

But let's not forget that the original post was openly playing Devil's Advocaat. Damn that spell checker.

There is a slight issue in that, as so much was covered before on T-COCK that there is a wealth of knowledge already posted for us to dib into. Now wait til I get my 80, I shall be posting ridiculously stupid questions, like 'Has anyone seen my keys' and 'What colour have I bought' Oh yes.

This site is about more than simply mending cruisers. Of course maybe that's why it is a bit quiet. Neither Ian or I have broken one recently. Ha Ha.
Of course it's also an excellent place to buy things too, Like 90 SERIES WINCH MOUNTS, eh, WINCH MOUNT, eh?

:lol: :lol:

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I agree with Tommo on all counts.

At the moment, this is still a young forum. How long now? 2-3months? It also consists mostly of people who "know" or even know each other. That is both a good thing and a bad thing. Bad because at some point we will all know each others truck inside out. With nothing new, things will stagnate.Not a great place to be. Good because there is still banter and conversation outside of "all things LC"

On other, older forums, there was a constant supply of new users. A constant supply of "new blood" makes for a more interesting group of people, different subjects and banter and a overall better forum.
The only way we will get new users is by having a good content, links towards us and advertising.
All of these are happening, albeit, slowly. Content, you can't rush but it is growing. Links and search engine stuff, slowly happening. I am constantly doing stuff on that to convince google we are worth something. There's no rushing google though. New users, they are coming. Some who found us via google, one chap who spoke to fellow members (with stickers?) at a petrol station. Growing, we are.

This is an LandCruiser forum. There will always be off topic discussions but the main subject is just that: Toyota Land Cruiser.

The riveting word game does keep a thread very active. Not exactly LandCruiser related but then it is in the Lounge and was never trying to be. But you know what, people come back for it. If there is a need for "Guess what I did to Maggie-Sue on Friday night after 6 cans", it'll never happen. There are other, none Landcruiser related forums for stuff like that :o

As i stands,day in and day out, we get more visitors. It's a slow climb but climb non the less.
'Tis a good place ;)

Cheers,
Crispin

Of course it's also an excellent place to buy things too, Like 90 SERIES WINCH MOUNTS, eh, WINCH MOUNT, eh?

Chris

do you have one for sale then Chris :lol:

I think for such a new site it is doing well.

Joe

silvercruiser said:
I think for such a new site it is doing well.Joe
Very well, and it keeps me off Facebook :o
Chas

Let me see now, hang on, let me see what's under these 90 series SWB rock sliders. My, these 90 series SWB rock sliders sure are heavy. Now what am I looking for, ahh yes, a 90 series TBR winch mount. Let me see.

Well whaddya know, under the 90 series SWB rock sliders, there IS a 90 series TBR winch mount. Yes! It's a good job you asked.

Fancy. Surprised that I still have that given the extraordinary price. You'd be nuts to buy a new one. I know I promised it to Tommo but it slipped my mind until you reminded me. No wonder he got stuck. :oops:

Wonder what else I have in my magic garage..... Well, looky, a Warn 9500 winch AND a brand new cable. Strewth I'm sitting on a goldmine here. But shhh or they'll all be after it. Maybe it would fit in the TBR 90 series winch mount. Nooo, that would be an unbelievable deal. They'd have to stop that, it wouldn't be allowed.

I love this forum

Chris

Some interesting replies here gents.

Regarding the site being a resource of technical information yes, we have some very knowledgeable folk here who are more than willing to help us out when we have tech questions/issues. Unfortunately this makes for a divided (I use that word loosely) community namely the givers and takers of advice.

The secret of any good community such as this is not only its technical content but vibrancy and diversity too, without a mixture of all three we risk loosing momentum.

Agreed the members of this club/community are only here because we are united by our Land Cruisers but, we can all be givers as we are all experts in our chosen field. By encouraging diverse debate in things other than Land Cruisers will surely make this a more interesting place.

With regard to Crispins quote:-
Crispin said:
This is an LandCruiser forum. There will always be off topic discussions but the main subject is just that: Toyota Land Cruiser.
Now there lies another debate.

It’s good to see some dialogue going here chaps… keep it up.

Battered and Blue said:
This site is about more than simply mending cruisers. Of course maybe that's why it is a bit quiet. Neither Ian or I have broken one recently. Ha Ha.

Ah but Lincomb is up and coming again, I am going to try not to add to the diff tally but who knows?

Ian

Quote - we are united by our Land Cruisers

Now there's an idea, we could have been the United Land Cruiser Club. ULC

Let's see how long before that becomes registered as a domain name, eh?

Chris

There will always be takers in any forum. They are not worthless though, they generate the topics and then hide away. On that note, there are lots that become givers as well. I can think of a few folk who joined up on TLOCK because they had a question and have become decent "givers". Also, many first post questions turn into longer debates / interest topics.

I think your other debate got knocked on the head by PaulH ;) That's what I meant. Anything in Lounge is fair game (with limits of course ;) )

Crispin said:
I think your other debate got knocked on the head by PaulH ;) That's what I meant. Anything in Lounge is fair game (with limits of course ;) )
Would it be possible to define these limits so that boundaries are known ;)

Paul_Humphreys said:
Would it not be ULCC Chris :?: ;) :lol: :lol:

But is that a club for Land Cruisers or for their owners? If the latter, it would be ULCOC

This would turn into a "United Georgian Liberation Front" sketch

I took LandCruiser to be one word. ULC

Jeez you people..
Stop picking on me. I've had a tough day.

Chris.

Back