Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Just replaced the steel cable on my winch..

Wetpool

Country Flag
netherlands
I just relplaced the 8mm steel cable on my winch with 8mm Dyneema rope, what a huge weight saving!! To be fair, the old line was 50 Mtr long, the new "plastic" cable is about half of that.. a friend advised me to replace the cable guide with a solid rounded version, it would benefit the Dyneema?? Any ideas?

Thx, Theo

IMG-20210614-WA0005.jpeg

Yes, better with what they call a Hawse fairlead. Rollers can have nicks and cuts in them that will damage the rope under load.

It maybe an obvious answer but will ask the question anyway - there is nothing in the winch itself which means it can be used with steel cable only or synthetic rope only right? I understand the roller vs fairlead point but otherwise cable and syn. rope are interchangeable right?

Ahh, no not always. There are different types of internal brakes on winches and some get so hot that they can melt the first section of the synthetic rope that is capstened onto the drum. Now you can get heat sleeves and things, but in answer to the question - technically, not all winches are the same. Probably hard pushed to find a modern winch that has this issue, but they are out there.

I suppose so, can't think of a reason why it would be specific to one or the other. The rollers in the guide plate are undamaged, and since it doesn't get used a lot, it'll probably be fine for the next 20 years...

Hmm, didn't think of the possibility of heat in the winch as Cris mentioned.. well, this winch is hydraulic driven, and doesn't get hotter than hand warm to the touch..
BR, Theo

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
thanks chris - I will do some research on my two winches - Warn and Superwinch

Sure they'll be fine and I doubt you'd really heat them up unless you're in a comp or something. It's a technically possible situation but largely hypothetical I'd think.

Back