Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Knuckle stud gone

thelal

Country Flag
ireland
Did 4 hour easy drive on Sat and felt very slight tremor on right turns. No other issues. Thought maybe front bearing on front right was loose again and maybe need to tighten up (had to tighten 5k ir 2 months ago and don't do a lot of driving, no offroad atm)
Was due an oil change and some other maintaince checks.
Jacked up wheel and solid on bearing check. Strange give on in/out - maybe steering loose. Sat in front of tyre and definite looseness left and right.
Checked underneath and one of knuckle studs was gone and others loose.
Yikes !!!

Normally check these every time under there but mostly just visual.
Not sure how it dropped out or how long ago. Found a bolt that fitted tread pattern and tightened up other 3. Did test drive and ok. Checked again and ok

Have proper knuckle bolts and will need to fix next week. Mud seems to indicate 20-40lbs of torque with 71lbs for nut. Also disagreement on locktite.
Anyone done this?

Can I clean out (dripping lower steering arm) from below and put in stud (tighten via torx), put arm back up (with gentle tapping ensuring all 4 inline), then torque all four in sequence
WITHOUT having to do a full knuckle strip n clean Etc.
Would keep doing continual checking until full rebuild time

20200119_175507_006.jpg

Had an issue in the past with nut loosening and falling off whilst the bolt sheering off. Became a much bigger issue then having to take it all apart to drill the broken bolt out and replace it with new.

Luckily yours looks like just the nut and so easier fix. I always check them now on every service for peace of mind. P.s Locktight not used but probably best for peace of mind.

I keep all the bits needed in stock. genuine.
It's common.
Personally I would strongly advise not to drive until sorted.
I've had a good 10 customers come to me where the studs have all snapped and the wheel has completely come off. lucky all at low speeds

Ps. just read you have the parts. all good.

When I do these, it's usually off the vehicle. Of course in this case, not really practical. I clean the threads out with a chaser so that they're perfect, then wash them with solvent. I then warm the casting overnight and use good quality thread lock which I leave again overnight to cure whilst warm. Studs torqued in of course. So far, I've never had one come loose again. But I still check them periodically. They're pretty vital. Sounds like you've dodged a bullet there.

That's what I would do Chris. I've rebuilt my hubs but not had to undo any of the lower nuts. ( clean, heat and lock).

Have had mine do that repeatedly on the left wheel, not so much since I cleaned the threads and refitted with thread lock.
P.S. also did the right side just to be safe.
:)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Did 4 hour easy drive on Sat and felt very slight tremor on right turns. No other issues. Thought maybe front bearing on front right was loose again and maybe need to tighten up (had to tighten 5k ir 2 months ago and don't do a lot of driving, no offroad atm)
Was due an oil change and some other maintaince checks.
Jacked up wheel and solid on bearing check. Strange give on in/out - maybe steering loose. Sat in front of tyre and definite looseness left and right.
Checked underneath and one of knuckle studs was gone and others loose.
Yikes !!!

Normally check these every time under there but mostly just visual.
Not sure how it dropped out or how long ago. Found a bolt that fitted tread pattern and tightened up other 3. Did test drive and ok. Checked again and ok

Have proper knuckle bolts and will need to fix next week. Mud seems to indicate 20-40lbs of torque with 71lbs for nut. Also disagreement on locktite.
Anyone done this?

Can I clean out (dripping lower steering arm) from below and put in stud (tighten via torx), put arm back up (with gentle tapping ensuring all 4 inline), then torque all four in sequence
WITHOUT having to do a full knuckle strip n clean Etc.
Would keep doing continual checking until full rebuild time

View attachment 163428

yes.

out of interest, what was the disagreement over the use of locktite?

the knuckles look in great shape. looks like bearing grease though rather than moly?

yes.

out of interest, what was the disagreement over the use of locktite?

the knuckles look in great shape. looks like bearing grease though rather than moly?
Disagreement on locktite is that Toyota doesn't mention it, but then doesn't mention this part anyways as replacement so no torque specs. Diehards no locktite, others use it just in case
On the grease, maybe leakage on oil. Will need to check later

Toyota probably didn't see 20+ years into the future I guess. They never foresaw the studs coming loose or maybe they're have approached it differently. I can't see a down side to using threadlock. I can see a downside to NOT using it though.

LHS side runs in the more damaged side of the road so might come undone more easily than RHS. If something comes undone it's either bad design or inadequate assembly procedure. I've never had any thing come undone on my 1995 80. I've never even undone the lower ones and they are still factory tight.

Back