Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

land anchors witch is best all around design??

nicko

as above
as going to make my own!!!
any ideas.spec ,opinons welcome
thanks

i would be interested to know too!
as may make my own as well

the added a double fold in to the blade giving it a 'W' section great idea
only prob is that i think its very big and bulky seen as it is all one piece
having it in two folding sectons or pieces
just a thought

I was rescently offered this D44 anchor by my MOT examiner for £80 (I think they're about £190 new) he took it in part payment for some spannering that he did for someone. I took some pics with my phone as I thought then & still do now that it was the one I'd buy if I ever bought a winch (unlikely) as it was mighty yet uncomplicated with the advantage of being in two parts :)

Image029.jpg

Image030.jpg

Hope this is of use to you :thumbup:

Attachments

• Image029.jpg
    Image029.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 1,455
  • Image030.jpg
    Image030.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 687
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
would you belive thats exactly what im looking for easy to make and stoor
thanks stevo!!!

There really isn't such as thing as a perfect anchor. They all behave differently in different terrain. Sand, hard earth, bog, soil etc. A really good design in my experience would have a head that was adjustable in terms of plane.

One tip from my experience is that they generally only dig in under perfect conditions. So where you can, dig a hole first and drop the anchor it so that the spade is already buried. There are other types too like the hedgehog, but what they are like in march, I don't know. They have a limited use, but when there is nothing else, they are like a prayer answered. Failing that bury your spare wheel. It works exceedingly well.

Chris

Used a D4x4 one in competition for years- found 2 thihngs- 1. it is very very heavy and 2 i have to weld a reinforcing brace into it.

having said that the blade angle is perfect and it digs in well- the recovery loop on top of the blade is a god send- you drive the vehicle up past the anchor and pull it out- saves a very hard job getting the thing out.

The x-eng one is a vast improvement in utility- its far far far lighter, but doesn't suffer strength wise as far as i can see- there seems toi have been as many X-eng failures as D4x4s so the lightness seems about right- good design has made up for the reduction in weight. You do have to use them as deisgned in a straight pull though.

If you want a really easy time of it then you could use http://www.pullpal.com/aboutPP.html these are amazing and we often take one away on expedition- however they are very very expensive- easily £400 for one that puts up with the weight of a lardcruiser.

other options- the pin type- well they are very veyr strong and secure. Have seen engineers and tank regiments using them to winch CEVs up hills. But they take bloody ages and are very hard work so not much use if you have use one frequently.

YOu can make a very good anchor with 4 stout poles and some rope- basically bang the 4 poles halfway into the ground in a line (the distance between the poles should be the same as the height of the poole above the ground). Attach your winch rope to the bottom of the first pole. Using winch rope or similar attach the top of the first pole to the bottom of the second, then attach the top of the second to the bottom of the first and so on.

This works so well because you are mutiplying the force of the pull through levering against the ground- the force against the poles is exactly horizontal to the ground- thers is no upwad pull.

The X-eng and D4x4 are good, but where do you store them? That is the only problem. I use a PRT, it foulds down and is easy to store.

I even bent a Gwyn Lewis one!!

Paul

Pin and plate style works well, my bro made three for the old SJ to make a triangle in the worst situations. Really easy to store.

Back