Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Land Cruiser 80 Outer Shaft / CV

Marius De Kock

Country Flag
south_africa
I need some help from the mechanical guys on the forum. My 80 needs new front outer shafts / CV’s but the genuine Toyota parts are just too expensive for me to afford at this stage. :thumbdown: The pattern parts are cheaper but not hardened in key places like the Toyota part and just looks soft like chocolate. :o I mostly use my truck for laning and the idea is to take her to Africa for an extended overland trip. I just don’t know what to do.

Please help. :cry:

You could have a word with Karl W or Steff about some used ones, but of course you will have no knowledge of their previous usage :think:

Maybe I should just pay the Toyota prices for new ones and take my hiding like a man.

Greg at Land cruisers Overland has a source of good quality non gen ones

Hi Marius,
Chat to Ian Rubie as he can supply Toyota OEM much more cheaply (he works alongside Greg, so can advise on what's available). Whatever you do, don't pay the crazy Toyota prices - it's probably cheaper to book a cheap flight to Dubai to buy OEM ones there and bring them back in your luggage!

I replaced mine with Iezura, which (unscientifically) seem to be a bit better than the Milner ones - I say seem better because fewer of them have been broken, even with big tyres. I am sure that in reality there are various batches from various manufacturers floating around - some better than others and the Toy ones undoubtedly the best.

My thinking is I would rather buy 3 cheapos for much less than one Toy OEM one and replace if I have to. But pottering around the UK, a phonecall away from the AA, is hardly a big issue if I blow a CV. In Africa it would be unless you have a spare. Changing one is a couple of hours work, so not a train-smash if you have a spare. Frankly even if you only buy 2 new ones, I would hang on to the old ones for spares.

I don't think an overland trip through Africa is likely to result in a blown CV - the cowboy stuff at Lincomb puts much more strain on them ;)

Cheers,

Paul said:
Greg at Land cruisers Overland has a source of good quality non gen ones

The good ones from Greg is too short for the later model 80's like mine. As I understand it the snap ring will not fit at all on the shorter outer shaft. :thumbdown:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Andrew Prince said:
Hi Marius,
Chat to Ian Rubie as he can supply Toyota OEM much more cheaply (he works alongside Greg, so can advise on what's available). Whatever you do, don't pay the crazy Toyota prices - it's probably cheaper to book a cheap flight to Dubai to buy OEM ones there and bring them back in your luggage!

I replaced mine with Iezura, which (unscientifically) seem to be a bit better than the Milner ones - I say seem better because fewer of them have been broken, even with big tyres. I am sure that in reality there are various batches from various manufacturers floating around - some better than others and the Toy ones undoubtedly the best.

My thinking is I would rather buy 3 cheapos for much less than one Toy OEM one and replace if I have to. But pottering around the UK, a phonecall away from the AA, is hardly a big issue if I blow a CV. In Africa it would be unless you have a spare. Changing one is a couple of hours work, so not a train-smash if you have a spare. Frankly even if you only buy 2 new ones, I would hang on to the old ones for spares.

I don't think an overland trip through Africa is likely to result in a blown CV - the cowboy stuff at Lincomb puts much more strain on them ;)

Cheers,

It looks like Iezura had closed up shop sorry to say. :thumbdown: I'll have to speak to Ian again and plead him for a better price as the one from Toyota was over £600 per outer shaft. :cry: I'm between a rock and a hard place.

I already compromised by putting in Super Pro bushes and not proper Toyota bushes. Not the best I know. :thumbdown:

What would be the telltale signs that the outer shaft needs replacing?

When you say outer shafts I assume you mean CVs (the outer shaft is part of the CV). You will only need to replace them if they are clicking when cornering or if you have broken it and you would know if you did this.

Rob said:
When you say outer shafts I assume you mean CVs (the outer shaft is part of the CV). You will only need to replace them if they are clicking when cornering or if you have broken it and you would know if you did this.

Thanks Rob.

Yes I am referring to the CV’s. This is very interesting information as mine are not clicking at all and is still in one piece. :think:

Looks like this.

AXTBIRF-FJ80HD

Marius De Kock said:
Rob said:

Thanks Rob.

Yes I am referring to the CV’s. This is very interesting information as mine are not clicking at all and is still in one piece. :think:

Looks like this.

AXTBIRF-FJ80HD

Hi Marius, Why do you want to replace them, they can be stripped,cleaned & inspected, if ok they can be regreased & put back in.

Why do you think they need replacing?

I can't see the pic on my phone in case that's the obvious answer...

Ryan Thomson said:
Why do you think they need replacing?

I can't see the pic on my phone in case that's the obvious answer...

Hi Ryan.

I was told by the experts that they were very loose and need replacing. The photo is just of a new one so don’t worry about that. I have never heard a sound from them when turning and I’m confused now.

Are they sure the cvs are loose? Have they removed and inspected them.

Might it be instead the steering bearings?

Dave Docwra said:
[quote="Marius De Kock":91855grk]
Rob said:

Thanks Rob.

Looks like this.

AXTBIRF-FJ80HD

Hi Marius, Why do you want to replace them, they can be stripped,cleaned & inspected, if ok they can be regreased & put back in.[/quote:91855grk]

Thanks for this info Dave. I'm going to ask the experts to help me strip and clean the outer shafts. I hope after re-greasing them that they will be OK. Fingers crossed. :pray: :pray: :pray:

If you do a search on the Forum, you will find some very good write ups from various members, regarding wheel bearings, steering bearings & CVs.

Dave Docwra said:
If you do a search on the Forum, you will find some very good write ups from various members, regarding wheel bearings, steering bearings & CVs.

I'll have a look thanks.

I want to thank everybody for the information, ideas and input. Let's hope the CV's are OK after a good clean and re-pack.

:thumbup:

Marius, if I were you I would look for some new 'experts'.

Experts very often have the ability to find a solution to which there is no known problem. :roll:

Chris

The clicking is not always obvious unless you know what you're listening for and can easily be missed from inside the truck by someone unfamiliar with it IMO.

Back