Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Land Cruiser 95 with 1KZ-TE -> Severe Engine issues

Some more

If more&spesific pics are wanted, do let me know.

I am not sure how much of the damage&cracks are clearly visable to the eye on the photos, but with the cylhead on my lap, there is no doubt that it has 2 cracks running from combustion chamber 1&4 towards the out edge of the head.
Which means a new head would be the only sustainable option IF I would rebuild it.

IMG_20160714_203826.jpg IMG_20160714_203754.jpg IMG_20160714_203751.jpg

That doesn't look good at all Peter. The cracks in the combustion chambers I think are insignificant as I think they all crack. The marks on the top of the black marked piston look like there's been something foreign in the cylinder, perhaps a piece of metal and the valve depressions look pitted. The cylinder wall looks nasty too.

Unless I'm way off I'm guessing that overheating has done that so whatever you do, the cooling side needs attention (not teaching you to suck eggs here btw as it seems you have a fair bit of experience if these things) when you replace the engine which looks to me your best course of action here.

There's a thread on cooling the 1kzt.

I agree!
One the head came off yesterday, the last remaining hope spurred off down the alley never to be seen again.

Cumbustion chamber cracks are not uncommon & they can be replaced separately.
The 2 cracks running from the cumbustion chamber & outwards, THEY are devastating. With time & blablabla one could possibly machine it out, weld the crack & skim the head. Unfortunately I by far do not have the time.
Tools I do posess & weld I do. Cast alloy is a PITA to weld :-/ Naah, not worth the effort atm

Still need to check the liner(s), I do not assume they are good. Surely blowby on Cyl1 has done its deed way down.

If You are referring to the mark on the very top of the piston, they all seem to have that circle, I can check again. As for the last piston pic; One sees all the way down to the piston ring groove.... a fair chunk gone there
No marks inside the head between the valves. There was alot of "crums" from the burnt down piston in side YES.

The cooling side WILL be throrughly flushed & attended to, indeed.
I do not need this hazzle again.

I am not fronting the bill for this job, so I am awaiting final orders.
I have sourced a same age & similar milage engine in good nick. I hope it will soon be here so I can drive thins thing off the lot :)

Thangs again all for Your different inputs

There is an after market head that is far better constructed.

I must confess I didn't see the cracks outside the combustion chamber. Could have been getting water in there perhaps.

The mark I was referring to was a straight one about 12mm at a guess long.

Good luck with the engine swap.

Glad your not giving up on the truck Peter you must think a lot of it :thumbup:

A web search will show you lots of suggestions the 1kz has a weak head and poor cooling but i think not . As with all things the components of the cooling system just have a life expectancy and £200 every 100,000 miles to renew it isn't so bad .

New Radiator , thermostat and refill the viscous fan with 60ml of 10,000 cst silicone oil . I didn't replace my water pump because i haven't yet heard of one failing and i'm still on 130,000 miles so relatively low for a cruiser .

I get all my parts from Roughtrax .

The marks on the piston can be caused by a defect injector.
I have had a 2LT engine with a much similar noise.
In this case it was a defect injector.
So if you use the old injector, get them checked first.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
New engine sounds like the best way forward, considering you can't really narrow down what caused this engine to fail in the first place. Those cylinder walls look bad from the pictures, as if it was run on low oil pressure.

Not giving up? Hmm
I probably don`t have the commom sense to know when a glass is full & when it is overflowing :innocent:

Naa, still some life in her. New replacement engine comming it for a fair sum sometime next week. Has to be retracted from another rolled J9 first

I may be repeating myself; The injectors where among the first things I checked & they are fine.
I will be using those that come with the new (to me) engine anyways.

The fan is a good tip, will need to look further into that.

As for the other bits, they look astonishingly good.......... As does the rest of the uncared for (prior to me) truck...

Looking at lifting out the block today, prep the enginebay for the new arrival & shoehorn the 1KZ-lump in okay

Might just whip out a conrod bearing & a mains when its all more accesible.

I am aware of the alternative heads available, thanks Shayne.
As there is more than just the head needed, the financial strain of redoing the current lump IMO is not quite overseable yet.
I have been offered an overhauled replacement engine on here, so if the current plan does not pan out, there are still some alternative good options out there.
Don`t feel the love for overhauling an engine & doing it on either a (financial) shoestring nor cuttig corners due to time & parts available.
Patts are WAY dearer with us than with You guys. Yes I could have it shipped, but still.
I am abit stressed on time ATM

Will keep posting if You guys are bothered with further happenings.

Will keep posting if You guys are bothered with further happenings.

Please do you obviously have plenty of experience to share and we never stop learning :thumbup:

Though some of have more to learn than others :icon-redface:

Sounds a bit like an 2H I had that had a crook injector (squirting not spraying) which created a hot spot on one of the pistons and melted the top of the piston a little, part of which struck to the head and with every rotation it smacked the two melted parts together, no vibration, engine still ran fine and produced 'normal' power but because the injectors badly needed servicing, a rebuild was required.
Pull the injectors and have a look with one of those little cameras on the flexible tube to see if the pistons look normal. While the injectors are out have them serviced if they haven't been done for a while - cheap insurance.

Thanks Shayne, no need to bring out the :greetings-clapyell:

I am just wrenching along & I am rather unfamiliar with the KZ-TE as such so I learn as I go along.

@ctiley; May we bother You to at least READ the thread before posting??? 2 post up.....->:text-yeahthat:

Anyways, the engine is shot, toast, done for & whateverelse comes to mind:greetings-wavegree:
At least financially & that even without the oilpan off :banana-dreads:
Well, see for Yourselves.
Liner1 is gone (pics), Liner 2-3 are hmmm & showing some bad signs of wear. Liner 4 is glazed, partlyshowing that the piston skirt has been toucking the liner sides.
A rebuild would at this stage require oversized pistons.

IMG_20160716_185814(1).jpg IMG_20160716_185827.jpg

I had read the thread but your obvious lack of knowledge and the vehicle's desperate history of lack of maintenance as shown by the photo's, prompted me to put up a comment for the interest of the others on the thread. Also the photo's show very similar damage to the piston to what we experienced (although our engine had done 800,000 km not the paltry amount yours has), so I doubted your ability to determine if the injectors were sound or not. If you don't like others commenting, don't post to public forums!

Please go & clutter someon elses thread. You do not know me nor the vehicle whatsoever
No need to troll on my thread, make up your own.
It is called common courtesy & good manners on our side of the Equator.
It may not have maid it down south with the collonials a few years ago
:)

Please go & clutter someon elses thread. You do not know me nor the vehicle whatsoever
Your idea of manners (which you failed to show in your original post referring to my comment) has made it to our side of the world, and also some thing called spelling and vocabulary which plainly you haven't had access to. As I said, if you don't like people commenting on public threads, don't post to them, there are others who may be having the same problems and all comments can help as you should know from all those who have shown interest in your issue.

I suspect Pete's English is a lot better than your Norwegian, ctiley. whilst criticising someone else's spelling maybe you could have a look at your own response.

Nothing wrong with Pete's response to your comment about injectors, he referred you to his earlier post where he states they are fine.

Last edited:

Pity there's not a "Dislike" button. @MarkW, you need to cop on to yourself as well.

Wow, imho Pete's initial response didn't warrant the accusations posted in the reply.

Manners cost nothing Gary, its a shame that not everyone sees that.

Did I read that Pete had sourced a good engine from a rolled vehicle?

Did I read that Pete had sourced a good engine from a rolled vehicle?

It would be interesting to know just what went wrong with the original engine. Lots of useful speculation at the moment, but nothing conclusive. Understandably he's more interested in getting the vehicle back in running order at the minute.

Back