Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Land Cruiser 95 with 1KZ-TE -> Severe Engine issues

Although I don't know too much about these engines It sounds to me like the piston is kissing the head.

Which aptly describes the early detonation noise you get if you spray egr cleaner into the intake for more than 2 seconds . Both my engines have produced that noise a number of times , albeit only momentarily , and both run sweet as a nut . So unlikely as it may sound i have to assume the engine can make that noise without component failure .

Beau did a walk through youtube vid on how to remove the 1kz from a 90 which might prove useful .

I have been wrenching
&
I need to rewoke a previouse & initial statement.
I wrote I had checked the camshaft & did not find anything visaably wrong....
Well, that is a thruth with modification.....
I have everything stripped back & was ready to undo the head when I had a better look around with my spectacles freshly wiped :flushed:
The lobes on the cam on Cyl1 are on my opining both fubar`d. They are showing signs of corrosion & are not polished at all. The loabes are so coarse, it has on this particular surface clearly not made contact with the shims

I recon that that easily could explain the metallic nock I have been hearing.

Have a look at these (cellphone) pics

Furthermore the Idler on the cambelt was not sitting well on the bolt/shaft holding it to the block.
There is significant play in both the bearingitself & how tight it sits on the shaft.
I will try & upload a video.
I did try to "reset" the tensioner but it seems to be bottoming out before I can insert a locking pin....
Need to reread the inctructions on this....

Will be looking for a new / second hand camshaft tomorrow.

Am I right in aborting the head job at this stage?

IMG_20160713_194947.jpg IMG_20160713_194957.jpg

Not sure but could this indicate gummed up valves, perhaps sticky valve stems and/or valve stem seal failure? Head off may be the direction to go to see just what is causing this. I'm not too sure there is much wrong with the camshaft that a light polish wouldn't cure. It would be interesting to see the clearances on those two valves. I wouldn't mind betting it's pretty big.

In an ideal World one would rebuild the head at this stage

Unfortunately the car HAS to get back on the road. So for now I will do my best at sourcing a second hand camshaft. At least test it with a good cam & then go from there. I hope it will cure the knock for now.

I will get hold of a new set of feeler gauges tomorrow & measure. My regular set is at another house right now:flushed:

The goo seen may very well be oil that has "got stuck" on them worn lobes. If the hardening has left the metal suddenly (induction hardened I pressume) then this may very well be the case....
Seen similar happen to an old CAT Engine

From a better look at the photos, it now looks like that particular cylinder has got hot. In fact there seems to be some blueing on the camshaft just next to the left hand lobe. The area the oil drains into, the top of the head, seems darkened at this cylinder compared with the one adjacent to it along with the camshaft. Could this be pointing to the Achilles heel of the 1kzt, that of overheating, perhaps? It looks to me like it's got pretty hot which would tie in with your driver giving it a blast.

I am hesitant to say YES, it has overheated StarCruiser.
I`d have to go out & physically kook again to confirm the colour change.

I was not the one wo gave this thing the utimate beating, but yes IF it was on its way out & the very good blast down the motorway may very well have given it the last push off the cliff so to speak.

I`ll try & measure the lobe itself too tomorrow

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I can see what you mean about the wear, it looks like it has picked up. I thought it was just a mark at first. Not so easy to see on the photos.

Was not that easy to see on my initial inspection of the camshaft either :)

When I whiped them all down & ran a nail across it became very clear to me.

Felt totally smooth on my screen this end…
:icon-smile:

If the cam(s) are worn - what are the Bucket Tappets like ??

The cams bear on steel shims, are they in place, nice and flat, with valve clearances close to spec ??

The Bucket Tappets slide over the valve stems & springs. With excessive valve clearance the Bucket could be jumping up and down and being battered back and forth (like a tennis ball). Hence the noise ;).

Bob.

Without massive clearance at the can/ bucket thats not the cause of the noise. Try starting it with the rocker cover off ( covering the rest of the engine bay) and confirm/ eliminate the camshaft.
Its still something hitting something in my opinion. JMI though.

Reactions: Sag
I will measure the clearence today & inspect buckets etc too
My micrometer will not be able to measure the lobes on the camshaft. I have not been able to get hold of a descent one big enough at a rate I can afford :-(
Don`t recon a caliper is QUITE the best tool :-/

Any views of fitting a used, second hand camshaft? Proviced it is within spec off course.......

Toyota is asking abt 500£ for a new one...... Roughly half of what a used second hand enginefrom a breaker would be.

Quick measurement of the clearences indicate no difference between the worn & the "good" lobes

At least I got good price on a replacement engine for now ;-/ Haven`t quite pulled the trigger on it yet

The Jury was out
The Jury is back & the verdict is clear;

All 4 combustion chambers are cracked
From two of them (cyl 1&4) there are cracks to the outer edge of the head
Cyl1 is badly burnt, I can see all the way down onto the upper compression ring. Thete has definately been some hefty blowby...
Cyl4 is starting to show similar damage
Still need to determin how bad the liner is damaged on cyl1. Does not look good :-/

All valves are spotless, The buckets & shims are basically unmarked. No broken springs or similar
I still believe the cam has bad scores on the lobes for cyl1

Not that it matters much now, but I recon there are multiple damages found. Some wear & tear. Others may have been accelerated by running it rather hard lately.

Have sourced a fair second hand complete engine. Thete is still a chance I can bring it all togehter again & the LC back on the road :)

Thanks all who have pitched in & sharred their thoughs.

Sorry to hear that Peter. Post up some photos when you can. It's always better to see these things but of course better for you they aren't there at all.

Not quite sure where the cracks are exactly from your description, but from my understanding it's normal for there to be cracks within the combustion chamber itself. I don't think this is a problem because the actual combustion bowl seals off on the outer edge of these chambers so all the pressure is maintained within the cylinder.

Now if there are cracks that run outside of the sealing area, that is a concern.

I would like some pics, just out of interest really, if it's not too much to ask :icon-rolleyes:

Doesn't sound like good news at all. Maybe a replacement engine is the way to go. Once out, you can investigate this properly and if it's not as damaged as it might be you could rebuild and sell it on.

Would be a good project to find out exactly the extent of the failures...

Sorry it's such bad news.

Good Morning

Here are the pics I took last night once I had it apart

I will most likely lift out the block / remains today.
The Lady of the house to be my crane operator again :eusa-clap:, shes cool like that

Once time & such permitted, I`ll look into possibly repairing it. Unfortunately I do not see much remaining value left in this lump... Quite a few stripped & broken egnines available around here

IMG_20160714_203912.jpg IMG_20160714_203859.jpg IMG_20160714_203849.jpg

Back