Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Landcruiser 120 Engine siezed, Jap imported engine fitted, Question ?

Toycruiser90

Hi all
My Friends 2005 - 120 engine siezed, usual problem injectors contaminate oil/oil pick up blocked. (Mr T. didn't want to know due to service omission by previous owner years earlier, ongoing)
Anyway I myself feel very guilty not knowing and warning them about this known problem but as a 90 series owner I just I knew nothing about this problem on the 120.... :oops:
A 2008 Jap replacement Engine (not reconditioned) has now been fitted -
Questions - are Japan sourced engines free from this injector problem and will the sump still need to be dropped and the oil pickup checked every service for blockage or can normal service routine resume??
- Bob

It's a quick job to drop the sump and check. That would put his mind at rest forever.
It might be worth giving Simon a call and asking if he can tell from the engine number if it is a problem.

Yes you're right - better safe than sorry, but it would be nice to give them the all clear as the 120 had been very reliable till this happened, but I will follow up with the engine number check and also keep a listen out for any other of Mr T's secret recalls.:icon-evil:

A Japanese 2008 engine really should have the new aluminum injector sealing washers.
Saying "should" is a wide open expression though. As all the 1KD-FTV (Land Cruiser D4-d engines) are made and assembled in Japan, it would be foolhardy not to think that the replacement engine shouldn't need inspection.

Once the in sump oil strainer is inspected and confirmed clear, then simply have the injector sealing washers confirmed as also the new type.

I don't know if it is more sensible to check the injector sealing washers first, and if they are the new type, then omit inspection of the sump oil strainer pick-up filter.

However, if you want peace of mind, and you plan on a "keeper" then let's be sensible about an inspection.

Gra.

Yes that is the sensible way to go, if it were my mine I would continue checking it too, I will tell the owner gently as I don't want to worry them unnecessarily, as you say it only takes a few minutes, and they can educate their mechanic to do this extra check.
The Landcruiser 120 is a fantastic vehicle and I don't want them to sell it because of this, and also because it now has a much newer engine fitted it's probably worth more now than before this happened.
Thanks guys ....
Bob

Back