Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Landcruiser 90

Paulpen

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Landcruiser 95

Well looks like the Hilux is going sunday so better start my hunt for a 95 !

Looking for a manual LWB and would prefer the older 3.0D instead of the D4D as I know it from the Hilux and have spares galore !

Standard would be prefered but dont mind a bit of modified - dont really want anything lifted but for the right truck never say never etc :)

Cash waiting as of now too :)

Last edited:
Manual pre D4D LWB. Hmm, few and far between I think. Auto 1KZ-TE yes and D4D Manual, not uncommon. But it's a not so common combination you are after there. I would say the D4D is a much better drive than the old 1KZ and doesn't have any particular engine problems that you'd need spares for. My neighbour has one and it's a flying machine. The interior facelift is nice too. Hers is a GX and in lovely condition. Have to say if she were to sell it, I'd be tempted to get it for the current wife.

Best of luck, but do think about the D4 manual.

Ahhhh
From not knowing too much about them yet I just assumed there would be more manuals as they were made for the Uk market (coming from a Hilux Surf where they are mostly iport so autos).
Does the D4D not suffer with the "modern" diesel issues (injectors, fuel pumps, particule filters, electrical issues etc) ? It was woning some newer diesels that put me off them due to amount of massivly expensive faults they seem to have !

Not really. When they built the 120 series with the D4D, the early ones did suffer. I had one of those. But the unit fitted to the Collie as far as I know is pretty trouble free. The gang will be along soon with views I am sure.

The cruiser spec is an odd thing here in the UK. We get lockers and the rest of the world, where it's rough, don't. We get the Winter pack fitted as standard, the places where you'd need it, don't. We buy more manuals in the UK than autos, most of the Cruisers sold are autos. At the end of the run on the 80 series which was a luxury motor, all the last 24v's were manual! It doesn't make much sense really.

Way back, my neighbour wanted a manual 3.0 and spent ages looking for one. I had an auto. He wanted to tow a big van and didn't know autos but knew a manual would do the job. Every cruiser he has had since has been an auto.

It's a crazy world. All I can say is go and drive a 1KZ and then a D4. I am not going to try to get you to look at autos, but others will. All I am saying is look at ANY manual Colorado. That will widen your potential. If you drop onto a 3.0 then great. But a D4 will be newer by a considerable margin.

Thanks for the info :)

I think the manual bit is more important to the engine bit if I had to choose - my Hilux Surf is/was auto and while it did the job well I will always just perfer a manual :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looks ok.

Check for oil leaks and that the rear diff actuator works, will do another 160k.

Cloth seats really comfy, think it means its middle spec.

Pete

Shame about the gearbox,Stumogs got a lovely 95 Series Prado he keeps talking about selling, buts its an auto, although as its a Prado it'' have an intercooler, so smoother and a bit more power.

There seems to be a fair few 90/95's around on the bay at the min,I'd try to buy one from an owner who knew the truck, understood it and was selling it with confidence.

Andy

Do you get the knowledgable owners on ebay though ?

Id imagine you would only get them kind of owners on here and the other forum (but no one seems to go on there) ?

Well looks like the Hilux is going sunday so better start my hunt for a 90 !

Looking for a manual LWB and would prefer the older 3.0D instead of the D4D as I know it from the Hilux and have spares galore !

Standard would be prefered but dont mind a bit of modified - dont really want anything lifted but for the right truck never say never etc :)

Cash waiting as of now too :)
Hi Paulpen,

Manual Land Cruisers are OK, but I guess once you have had a couple of test drives in an auto, I think you may well be converted.

The manuals are hard work, where as the auto is very well suited to the 2 tons it lugs around, with seeming-less ease.

I can't imagine I would buy a manual Land Cruiser now, after the autos.

I did read some where that the autos outsold the manuals by some thing like 3 to 1, in favour of autos.

Gra.

I've been keeping an eye on prices for a year and its surprising how much they go up and down but i've come to regard £3500 as a central figure , you can get a good truck for that and it seem's a fair price . If the truck for sale is is priced significantly above or below that its either in exceptional condition (or includes some pricey mods) or it should be viewed with caution . There are always exceptions to the rule but that's luck rather than anything else .

I had been looking for a 90 for about a year before I brought Andy Cooks from here, that cost 3.5k + a few extra bits
I looked at a few on forecourts the starting prices always seemed 3.5k and most at that price were made to look good and never did find one with a working difflock.

IMO what you bought Andy's Collie for was bang on the money for both of you with the extras on top. Lots of people ie. 2nd owners on tend to have their trucks serviced once a year at MOT time.

Andy

mine is still around if you want to look at it and see if you could deal with a auto your more then welcome.
i have a manual 80 and a auto 95 i would say i do think the auto is easier to live with in most driving. the manual does get a bit boring when driving in traffic. i must be getting old. mine is for sale but i cant think what to replace it wuth yet. my wife drives it and whats a normal car but she seems to have stopped moaning so must be getting used to it.

stu

TBH I have never liked auto's very much but now I have done 1000 miles in the truck I really quite like it

Last edited:
Personally, would have an auto every time! After driving the LC, my 6 speed Van gets a bit confusing...........
Steve

Never seen so much praise for autos in all honesty !

Is it more refined than the KZN130 Hilux was ?

I only ask as although it was smooth it just felt very sluggish during power delivery :(

Pricewiese ive got £3500 to spend as im keeping a tiny bit back for bits it might need doing to it :)

Curiously people who have auto's praise auto's , personally i find driving an auto bores me to death but each to their own . Might be an idea to test drive an auto that you are definitely NOT going to buy that way you can make an unprejudiced decision on whether or not you could live with it day in and day out for a few years coz while wearing rose tinted goggles test driving a truck you desperately want to take home it would be easy to convince yourself you like the auto - but will you still like it when the honeymoon is over .

i think its just a easier drive being auto. when you drive something that needs to be kept on the swwet spot ypu get a bit fed up with putting the clutch in and changing gear.i did drive both when i was looking for the 95 as i was REALLY anti autos but would say i would have another. if i built another challege truck it will be a auto.
stu

Back