Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Landrover trip report!

Fire :o

Also click on the "Would I recommend it?" :) Poor guy - sounds like the trip was a bit more taxing than it needed to be!

By the time these poor guys get to oz, the land rover will have been rebuilt with so many parts it will have changed colour :lol:

Maybe they will have a change of luck & get a Landcruiser..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I thought that the five questions section was interesting. LR didn't get any reprieve there either.

I have never owned a LR. But been in many and never enjoyed it, but there has to be something about them. Doesn't there? I have to say that properly tricked up I think that they look the Mutts.

Is it that people like this (adventurous but not necessarily competent) who do trips in them are simply unprepared, or do even the best built ones have so many problems? It's a genuine question, not having a dig at them. When you look at certain cars, Fords, let's say, you see a great many people in trouble at the side of the road and when I have stopped to help, it has been clear that they know nothing about cars. So the rad has no water, the engine no oil and so on. I put this down to people who know nothing about cars simply buy a Ford cos they recognise the badge! Couple this to a car that is not quite so tolerant of such abuse and you get a predictable result. Not saying that Fords (or LRs) are rubbish, just that they attract a less discerning owner? I know people equally less discerning who have bought a Micra or a Corolla and given it the same abuse (ok, lack of attention) and they have just kept going, like a mule.

OK it's a theory, not a fact. But it does make sense. Or are we saying that if we (on here) all went out and bought LRs, worked on them and went out we'd all be in the s**t in ten minutes flat? Let's not forget that we have all had problems of some sort or another in ours too, but maybe not to the same extent?

Chris

IMO there is often an element of cheapness / lack of maintenance by owners but also an overwhelming element of cheapness in the engineering from the factory. A friend with a garage and ties to LR always admit's they're rubbish but blames the economic climate at LR in the olden days for poor design and being unwilling to change things too much since because it means having a bigger parts bin!

I always get the impression Toyota build up to quality and Land Rover build down to price :(

Well all I saw in botswana was land rovers from the uk so I won't diss them. I enjoyed 4wd training early on in a disco but I would NEVER trade for my 80 which seems more capable. However, I don't buy into the lr versus lc battle cos I just love the overlanding mentality whichever truck is chosen.

A friend of mine had a defender 90 whilst I had my lj70.

Now he's the adventurous kind of guy who likes climbing, kayaking, riding his mountainbike etc.
I'm more the country bumpkin who likes some fishing and the occasional bit of lumberjacking.

He had the vehicle during the winter months and his "CHEAP" diesel fuel froze up.
LR Defender 90 TD5 mounted the diesel filter in the rear wheel well, where it could get a good helping of mud throw over it. We tried to remove it, but eventually cracked open the fuel filter as it was nearly rusted in half. They spread our roads with salt in winter. If its going to rust, you can be sure it will.

The lj70 has the fuel filter in the engine bay and my version had the diesel pre- heater attached. Never had a single problem with stodgy fuel. I also buy my fuel at the local brand name gas station.

Out goes his 90 in comes a 110 defender LWB. Drives a bit nicer than the SWB 90.
Rear track bars need to be changed out, because the are allready worn out he says.
And the tranny is leaking.
My lj70 had about 12 years and a whole lot more miles over his defender. I didn't even know a tranny could leak!! Let alone that trackbars could wear out.
There was a definate clunk in the suspension when he shifted from forward to reverse!!!
Oh and when we were on a camping trip he literally burnned his power cables on the " factory installed" winch.

Problems solved and he goes and buys a real truck a nissan 2.4 pickup. Runs like a dream, zero problems. But hasn't got the LR vibe.
After 2 months of problemless Nissan navara ownership he sells it and buys, ....
a defender 130. Now this is a real truck he proclaims.

OK so now LR has ditched a cylinder, added a gear. TD4, six speed gearbox and the length of a small train.
With the added length I decided to have a go, but still didn't fit behind the steering wheel comfortably.
His tranny has leaked, the startermotor has been replaced, the windscreenwiper motor has burned, when it rains the thing leaks like it hasn't got a roof.
And,.... he is thinking of having it chipped because the bloody thing hasn't got the umpf to run in sixt gear with a full load.

Why people buy or own a LR you ask??
I think they are simply born that way.

And something else too.
A quick look at the LR website and you've got a brand new LR90 for 26500€ in Belgium.
A quick look at the Toyota website and you've got a brand new LC150 SWB for 49900€ in Belgium.
Do you really think Toyota can ask 88% more than LR and have it break down as often and provide the same amount of comfort??
I think not!!

chriscolleman said:
A quick look at the LR website and you've got a brand new LR90 for 26500€ in Belgium.
A quick look at the Toyota website and you've got a brand new LC150 SWB for 49900€ in Belgium.

Thats about £43000, for a swb. Thats LC5 price in uk!!!

Spot on re the landie. So many horror stories. It just amazes me why people buy them. Having just travelled with 3 of them to the Pyrenees and back, trying to be open minded, I am still amazed. Only thing good about them is they photo really well.

This cracked me up: "Unfortunately the only English Hamza the mechanic knew was ‘Oh my God’, a little disconcerting when he is looking at the engine, back at me, back at the car "
:twisted:

Chris said:
OK it's a theory, not a fact. But it does make sense. Or are we saying that if we (on here) all went out and bought LRs, worked on them and went out we'd all be in the s**t in ten minutes flat? Let's not forget that we have all had problems of some sort or another in ours too, but maybe not to the same extent?

Chris
I'm with you, Chris - no model of car is completely immune from the odd gremlin and the odd "Friday" car pops up. Obviously the wear & tear issue is a slightly different debate. The real negative for LR IMHO is how many lemons there are straight out of the box. There are countless stories of major problems occurring in the first few months of LR ownership - the JD Power surveys and others always have LR products in the bottom 5. Those surveys are an attempt to objectively measure reliability. LR don't go for half-measures either, they like to have 3 models propping up the tables... Nuff said in my book :mrgreen:

I do think they're iconic trucks and they're probably a lot of fun for the weekend mechanic to play with as a toy. But overlanding or using as daily driver, uh uh :naughty:

EDIT: JD Power SUV survey here - ok, it only rates 7 vehicles but who comes 6th & 7th :think: I stand corrected on the overall rankings - the Disco & Freelander made it up into the 70s :thumbup:

One of my mates (I have two actually) has had nothing but Discos since his first car, a mini van. He has bought 5 brand new ones on the trot. Not going to list the troubles here, but he has had issues with all of them. None of them have EVER been off road and he is actually a very capable mechanic. To me, they seem too clever for their own good. He has something like 6 on board computers monitoring and managing things. They have never cost him added money as everything has been covered by extended warranties etc. But whenever we meet, there is usually a part of the conversation that begins with 'Did I tell you about the disco ......?' Many of the things that he has had go wrong seem to be due to inferior components.

Chris

I've heard that having a LR is merely a hobby :)

The problem is that they are British and the then empire military got flooded with them and when they were auctioned off they got bought up by the swashbuckling heroes of the 50s and 60s who went out into untamed Africa (mostly) and they became glamourised - and available. So they end up in a psyche of adventurers. And some people think you're not having enough fun unless you're challenging the elements in a vehicle that is a challenge on it's own.

I've been nearly killed in them in the army enough times to not ever want to get in one again :)

Back