Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LC brakes - how sharp are your brakes and bleeding

AndyCook

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
I have never really been happy with the sharpness of my collies brakes
running EBC discs and greenstuff pads
the pistons are free, I can activate the ABS on a dry road if i really mash the brake pedal hard
but they dont have the sharpness i have with my other cars - subaru foresters and yaris

Yesterday I put brake pipe clamps on the 2 front brake flexy pipes
then (engine off) pressed brake pedal - it was rock solid straight away
so i think master cylinder is OK,

but unclamp either of the flexy hoses leading to the front calipers and there is mushyness when you press the brake pedal initially

i clamped them and opened bleed valve and pushed the pistons in, but not all the way home and some dirtier brake fluid came out and possibly some air.
but i am sure i did this before, and still didnt get the brakes sharp.

i wonder is air gets trapped in the bottom of the caliper, where internal chambers link the calipers

i will try again pushing the pistons completely home (again with hose clamped and bleed valve open to try and expell air

i have been bleeding using both gravity and 2-person method, and also tried a vacuume system (but that often just sucks airs in via bleed nipped threads - even with grease used to try and seal them)

how is the brake performance in your collies?

anything else i can try?

Last edited:
Mmmm, brakes are a little spongy, but work OK. I have a new Fiat Scudo Van and the breaks are awsome, seriously excellent. Its a bit scary once I jump in the Collie for the first couple of km! I wonder if stainless braided hoses would help? I havent tried bleeding any brakes yet though.

Steve

Last edited:
Not great TBH - I had stainless (Goodrich) braided hoses put it, brake fluid changed and bleed at a garage last year and it made absolutely no different at all.....also remember to bleed the LSPV at the rear as I'm sure the garage forgot to do that!

I really need to give the calipers an overhaul just to be sure....

Just to add - it always stops OK. However it needs far more pedal pressure than other cars I have driven. The worse in that way was a Citroen Xantia - the brakes in that were binary, either off or on! :wtf:

Last edited:
I've always found the brakes ok. You do need to hammer them down to stop in any hurry though. I always remind myself it's a 2 and a half ton truck I'm trying to stop when it's loaded, not a Golf or Astra

not just my truck then!

i bled the LSPV at weekend and all 4 callipers

and master cylinder last night

Have stainless hoses fitted to mine (swapped at about 120k miles) and they make a serious difference. Would certainly recommend this mod.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mine aren't fantastic either but they do the job. Rather exciting before I adjusted the LSPV :shock:

Mine work OK but they do tend to over servo and the pedal goes to the floor if you push hard enough although this is a problem I've found when MOTing a lot of different types of Toyota. It's not a MC or fluid problem as the pedals on all occasions are rock solid without the engine running and any boost pressure dispelled. Has anyone had any problems with over zealous MOT testers?

Last edited:
I find the brakes are very good on the collie for a 2 ton truck, and I only ever hear the abs kick in when it's snowing, theres no real need to slam on the breaks on these things....

I have had to make some quick stops and I think she's been pretty impressive, but I do feel the abs kicks in a little too early and there is more grip to be found before hand. I've also read on the forum a member has disabled his abs system to fully utilise his breaks... maybe he uses his on a race track?

the colorado brakes are definitely not the sharpest, but like Bob said you are trying to stop a 2 1/2 ton beast. I have installed new calipers, grooved and dimpled discs, braided hoses, flushed the brake fluid, thoroughly bled the system and toyota genuine pads. and i can say it has made an improvement and they always stop me and do throw in the abs when needed but i do think toyota could of done better.

well - worked on both front brakes this evening,
pushed the front calliper pistons fully home, with the flexy hose clamped and bleed nipple open - stacks of bubbles came out when pistons were pushed right in, and even more after hitting the calliper with a rubber mallet - that seemed to shift quite a bit of air.

then gravity bled for a while with the pistons held back, then got wife to operate the brake pedal, whilst i open/closed the bleed valve.
got no more air out after a while

brakes less mushy and stopping better - but not staggeringly better
think i will leave them be now!

What is this ABS thing you speak of. Mine are pretty good all things considered and the amount I have mucked around with them. It stops me well and if I stamp on the pedal it will throw you forward. Oh and yeah the handbrake is excellent.

Back