Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LC5 DVD fuel starvation

windsordeb

Country Flag
uk
Hi all.......... New member to this site and a girl so please bear with me. :lol: I bought a 2003 LC5 DVD 6 months ago........... (after chopping in my Prado which had served me well for ten years). All ok until a couple of weeks ago when it just cut out as I was driving along the road......... no warning lights etc. The AA man thought it had just sucked a bit of air into the fuel pump as less than quarter of a tank of fuel so showed me how to prime the fuel pump, drove to the garage filled up and all was well for approx. a week. Since then it has cut out intermittently with no pattern. Have kept tank filled to minimum three quarters full. Mechanic has replaced the fuel pump (in case the fault was there) and checked fuel lines........ no leaks. Yesterday ran like a dream...... today cut out three times in space of half a mile. Primer on fuel pump is soft(ish) but I pre-primed it before my last journey and it cut out within 300 metres. My lovely mechanic is coming out again in three days so any ideas would be greatly appreciated or any recommendations for experts in this field??? Many thanks and hoping all you lovely Toyota owners can help..............

Have you checked all of your fuel filters? I know other land cruisers have one in the fuel tank itself which causes similar issues.

I would suggest the same - and check the ysnk and pickup for sludge. I know Crispin had the same problem on his 150 (?) so a search may throw something up?

on the 120 I had a blocked filter and pickup problem. Flip up back seat, pull back carpet and remove rubber bung. There is the inspection hole and float mechanism for the tank. The pickup is part of that. Mine was very blocked, had leaves in the tank which, I assume, was blocking the pickup from time to time.

Symptoms were sudden lack of power when driving fast-sih (above 30-40). After a few seconds power would return and it would be fine for a while. Take a look at that.

The 150 was a problem with the additives in the cold fuel (below 10c) which were blocking the filters on the 150. Toyota installed a heat exchanger in the fuel line to warm it up.

I will double check with the mechanic that he has checked all filters... thanks

:icon-biggrin:
Have you checked all of your fuel filters? I know other land cruisers have one in the fuel tank itself which causes similar issues.

Thanks Crispin............ I will definitely ask my mechanic to check the tank end of things......... crossing fingers as three weeks into problem we are no further forward and I am losing confidence with driving it anywhere. Mine is not at any particular speed........... can be when I am going through slight acceleration at 20mph ish or at 50 as I cruise along. It actually labours slightly and revs drop a tiny bit before it cuts out completely. It instantly restarts (with or without me priming the fuel pump) and then runs for anything from 30 metres to miles and miles. I thought the new fuel pump had sorted things as it ran for six days with no problems and then cut out on the M4. Thank god I was in the slow lane or a change!!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back