Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lead acid leisure battery mounted in the back

Rob

Garage
I currently have an unsealed lead acid leisure battery mounted under the bonnet and I would like to relocate it to the back. As it will be inside I would like to find out if there are any problems with having an unsealed battering inside the car where the occupants tend to reside. I can put it in a container that will contain the acid if roll it etc but lead acid batteries release some nasties into the atmosphere when you charge them. Can you get a container that will contain the gases or vent it somehow or should I just get a sealed battery? Also are these gasses a health hazard?

You get hydrogen when they charge. Not in massive quantities under normal conditions. There are cars (such as Landrovers of course) where the battery is inside the car, under the seat. I'd be more concerned about securing it so that it doesn't whack someone if it broke loose. I wouldn't worry at all about the gas or even slightly sulphur odour off a battery in this situation.

Chris

VW beetle had them under the rear seat and I think the BMs still have them in the boot? They'll vent hydrogen when charged to rapidly or overcharged, No idea of quantities but doubt it would be enough to be a problem.

Like Chris said, if you have a forward impact, 15kg of battery is not stopping for much if it breaks loose.

Or in your current position Crispin, 15kg of flat battery :whistle:

Chris :lol:

Will obviously secure it properly too, just did not mention that as it sounded a bit obvious... Thanks for the info, no need to get a new battery then

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back