Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Leading the Landies in the Peak District

Chris Green90

Garage
Country Flag
england
2013-03-02111721_zps053c9dd3.jpg

Had a cracking day. Lanes 10 and 11 were the best of the day. And before anyone kicks off I know it is "advised" that lane 11 is to be onlt done down hill but it was such a dry day and the ground was firm I saw no problem doing it up hill and can say that far less damage was done going up hill than a newbie/idiot would have done going down hill with the brakes on.

Looks like a good day out Chris. :clap:

Weather looked nice aswell. :icon-cool:

Chris where is Lane 11 I don't even recognise it

Chris where is Lane 11 I don't even recognise it

Hollinsclough. You get to the bottom of the rock steps and turn immediately right. It brings you back out onto the road where the rock steps start.

if thats what it is its absolutely fine going up there anyhow, I didnt recognose it thats for sure

Taken from Trailwise

"Currently very difficult and controversial lane. Locals are very unfriendly. Legal to drive (at present, but check). GLASS Derbyshire rep recommendation is downhill only and no night driving. Driving this lane uphill might contravene the GLASS drivers code (need for winching, recovery, damage to surface etc.)
23/02/2013, by Chris Mitchell

This lane is almost too dangerous to drive now in my opinion. Beware of the possibilty of vehicle body damage. Did downhill for the first time and so glad we didn't attempt uphill! Probably will become the next lane on the closure list but should really be VR downhill only. Also a nasty wash-out where it joins the stepped lane. "

OK it was a challange but not anywhere near that bad in dry conditions. I would say that yes it maybe inpassible up hill in the wet but the day we did it I do not think that we did anymore damage than an inexperienced driver sliding down it on his brakes in wet weather.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Trailwise is only comments from people that use it for advise, that is unless the guy is somebody thats working for one of the associations but its not a name i recognize, this was relevant to the steps but looks like its moved on a bit now

The problem is big numbers are hitting the Peaks since the bloody bbc did the program and Hollingsclough Steps are about as difficult as it gets so all the pay and play people fancy the challenge

Last edited:
We didn't bump into each other Gary
We did a few lanes inc H clough. Great lane

Looks like a nice day :) How did your new suspension set up perform? All the gritty detail please :) ;) Did you have much in the way of load, did she drop very much once loaded up?

TBH Steven There was no more load than normal. I carry most of my tools all the time just in case (this probably account for the fact that I only get about 30 mile to a tenner) The setup worked perfectly I was over the moon with it in all situations. Can't really say more than that mate.

looks like you had a good day out - nice vids

H clough - those are two lanes I probably won't do again - too scary! and worried about damage to LC
needed rear locker to get up that lane 11, wife didnt like the sideways tippy bits either

isnt it the lane 10 you refer to with rocksteps that is advised downhill only?

TBH Andy that is waht I would have thought but I am pretty sure that what I posted above refers to lane 11 according to Trailwise. I wouldn't even consider attempting to go up the rock steps but wouldn't call it particularly dangerous, however in wet conditions going up lane 11 could be deemed as such. It wouldn't take much of a slip to have you rolling down the hill to the left.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

Back