Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Letter of notice to terminate employment.

Paul_Humphreys

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
I have a job interview this afternoon and after takling on the phone I think it is a sure bet :).

Anyway I have never had to write a letter to terminate my employment. I have always just told them.

I have an idea what to put, but some advice would be great.

Paul

My advice is don't write it till you've had the interview and a firm job offer! Then have a think about what you'll do if your existing employer makes you a better offer and what that offer would have to be ;)

Address it to your boss, date it and say something like:

Dear so & so,

This letter is to formally notify you of my resignation which will terminate my employment at company name from the close of business on some date.

it's also normal to put something like:

Whilst I have enjoyed my time working for the company and have gained new experience I feel it is time to further my career and have been offered a new position elsewhere.

and if appropriate:

I would like to take this oportunity to thank you for my employment to date and wish you continued success in the future.

Yours Sincerely,
some person

That's the sort of thing I've always used.

:mrgreen:

Same sort of thing I have. I do not plan to print it out till i have it in writeing that I have a new job ;)

thanks Jon.

don't rule out a counter offer ;) took me 3 attempts to get away from one company and each time I thought it was a sure thing they would let me go without a fight :roll:

I agree Jon, I do like were I am now. But the money is a lot below what I would normaly get. Also I am doing about 60-65 hours a week, one week was 77 :shock: .

Now if he uped the money I would stay ;)

Paul

I think the middle line that Jon put is the best part to a resignation letter. It opens up offers. If they don't counter offer, then you know exactly where they stood. They should at least meet the money where you are going too or make some very attractive offer.

Like Jon, I have also had to resign a few times from some places. Others not so. When I handed the letter over, all my boss said "will the project be finished before you leave?" No love loss there... :twisted:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Crispin said:
I think the middle line that Jon put is the best part to a resignation letter. It opens up offers. If they don't counter offer, then you know exactly where they stood. They should at least meet the money where you are going too or make some very attractive offer.

Like Jon, I have also had to resign a few times from some places. Others not so. When I handed the letter over, all my boss said "will the project be finished before you leave?" No love loss there... :twisted:

Heres hoping!!

Anyway, I have had the interview :). I did ask how many others they are interviewing, reply was "No one else"!! So I am the only one up for the job. Justr waiting for a phone call to see if I got it or not.

Paul

One thing I would always add to a letter of notice is:

Confirm your last day (work it out and put it in the letter)
Confirm any outstanding holiday.

Good luck

TonyP said:
One thing I would always add to a letter of notice is:

Confirm your last day (work it out and put it in the letter)
Confirm any outstanding holiday.

Good luck

Good point on the hoildays, I have only had 4 days off since I have been there. So with working bank hoildays I should have about 15 days + week inhand!!

Paul

Well I got the new job and notice has been handed in to old boss.

All I got was "ok, what will you be doing?"

Paul

Edit to add,

I found the new job last night and sent my CV in at 20-24. I have a phone call asking me to go for an interview at 8-00 this morning. Inter view was at 13-00 today and I got offered the job at 16-49 tonight :p .

Paul

I know that this doesn't quite reflect your present circumstances, it's just general stuff.

Write the letter that you would really LIKE to write to them and then make sure that you don't put ANY of that in the final version. Never burn your boats. Writing the first will make you feel really good and get anything off your chest that might slip into the one that you send.
And always makes sure that you keep the moral high ground, but don't apologise in any way for leaving.

I have always asked:
Is it right to leave the job that I have?
and separately
Is it right to be taking the job that I am being offered?

Sometime you can find your self taking a job just to get away from your old one. That's not a good philosophy.
Not quite what you asked, but just a bit of support that's all.

Oh, and all the best with your new job!

Chris

Thanks Chris, all done now. Just got to work the notice.

I did/do like the old job. But when it takes weeks to get a pair of new gloves out of the boss that cost £0.30 a pair. I know from talking to others I trust, the boss has let a lot of good people go over the years.

Paul

Sure. But you know what, you never really know the truth about how your employer feels about you until you leave. I have had "What, eh, oh right all the best" to
"Noooo don't leave us, you can't go, what will we do boo hoo hoo hoo" Which is rather touching and when they say 'We'll keep in touch' and years on, they still do, you know that it was a good place to work.

The other place? Can't even remember what it was called.

Chris

Good luck in the new job, I'm sure you will do well where ever you are Paul.
xyxthumbs.gif

Battered and Blue said:
Sure. But you know what, you never really know the truth about how your employer feels about you until you leave. I have had "What, eh, oh right all the best" to
"Noooo don't leave us, you can't go, what will we do boo hoo hoo hoo" Which is rather touching and when they say 'We'll keep in touch' and years on, they still do, you know that it was a good place to work.

The other place? Can't even remember what it was called.

Chris

I know what you mean Chris. The old boss had a very good man working for him. On the last day of 2 weeks notice he then offered a promotion!! The man sad it is too late now. I will see what he offeres next week, if anything!!

Thanks Matt.

Congrats Paul!!! Quick turn around!

Wise words Chris, I have blown up bridges in the past, not burnt but truly destroyed and lived to regret it...

Congrats again!

Back