Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lift kit steering spacer

If the shaft is secured at the bulkhead then when you do a body lift the shaft angle from the bulkhead to the rack must change but the angle of the shaft coming through the bulkhead doesn't, so they're not collinear any more?

Jon, take your point entirely, but I don't have a 90 here to look at to refresh my memory, but IIRC there is articulation and slip joints in the column between the body and the rack that take care of that. There are two UJs in the steering column, one after the slip joint in the main shaft. This allows the body to move and change that angle above the rack. With the slip joints allowing the shaft to lengthen means that it's all in kilter. If you don't do that well, then you ARE into problems. It's essential you do the lift and settle in the spacer with everything loose and nip up and try with wheels off the ground to make sure it's all OK. The actuator does not like rough treatment, either being pulled or pushed in, or being bent over. This is the whole reason for the spacer. If the spacer is too big, then it has the opposite but equally negative effect. I ordered two of different sizes. I think the one I put in was 30mm and in fairness was at the upper limit. 25mm would have been absolutely fine with a 40mm lift. There has to be a degree of flex in the whole thing anyway as the body and chassis move in relation to each other. But in the centre of the vehicle, I'd imagine that this is not that much and is coped with by the rag joint.

Chris

i fitted all the parts supplied with the milners lift kit including the steering spacer and have found no adverse effects on the steering , it feels normal, from when it was fitted to now 2 thousand miles later.

roy said:
i fitted all the parts supplied with the milners lift kit including the steering spacer and have found no adverse effects on the steering , it feels normal, from when it was fitted to now 2 thousand miles later.

How thick is your steering spacer?

it is the standard one milners supply , it looks about 2 inch .

Back