Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lincomb weekend June 7-8th

finally - got a chance to check in and say thanks to every one for making Jes and me so welcome an our first Lincomb . we had a great time from start to finish ,warm sunshine and a great thunderstorm -just like Scotland (except the sunshine) its a long way for us to travel but defo well worth it so thanks again to one and all and hopefully we will be free to come down the road to the next event cheers guys and gals:thumbup::thumbup:

Lil' Blue is manual, I've done the retrospective what else should have I done instead routine. I could have stuck it in first and let it stall the engine, I could have put full left or right steering on and turned off the hill into a tree within the first couple of seconds, I could have just bailed out the door but you've lost choices as it take a couple of seconds to realise wtf is going on.

I've always sat just over the crest so I can take up the last bit of tension when I let go the brake before winching out in an effort to not shock load the winch rather than having to reverse off the flat while winching out at the same time, I did exactly the same routine on the previous punch not 5 mins before.

I need to rethink my whole approach on a number of levels:-

Position over crest, engine off and leave in gear with h/brake on
Set winch
Plan exit options in case it goes tits up (brakes or rope snapping) along full winch run
Engine on and commence winching

Might take a tad longer but this has taught me to up my game. Back on the saddle but better prepared next time.

Hey Trevor, I said what I said without any suggestion that you could have done more than you did, I hope you didn't take it the wrong way, it certainly wasn't intended. :pray:

But, with the benefit of hindsight and your own analysis in a quieter moment, you really do seem to have learned something from the event. We all live and learn from our own mistakes and we all keep making new ones! :lol:

I'm just relieved you weren't injured and that Li'l Blue was not totaled. The tree saved you from a likely high speed roll that could have taken you all the way to the bottom.

My worst reversing fiasco was in the ice, drove up a steep hill OK but a clown coming the other way stopped me before the crest. After that it was all backwards, no grip, no brakes. It took all my efforts to keep my foot off the brake to give me some steerage. I saved myself from crashing through a restaurant wall, instead I steered the arse-end into a day-old pick-up, the owner was well chuffed!

I'd much prefer to crash going forwards, so maybe Mrs Trev and Mrs Clive will benefit hugely from some nice safety gear, like a rear receiver mounted winch or two! :lol:

Good on ya mate, it's a good attitude you have :thumbup:

They are on hire currently from Mr Lomas. 9.00x16 Lerma Gomme's they measure in at just over 36 inches and are frankly awesome. It took some real effort on my part to get her stuck on what was a very very slippery weekend.

Cheers Chris:thumbup: It looks bloody Massive now.

When things lets go the throttle is your friend , its not gonna stop you but when you have time (and Trev didn't) a boot full of throttle leaves you with no traction whatsoever and gravity takes over , the engine being heaviest wants to fall first , when facing the right direction you might at least be given some options about whats gonna stop you .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Some pictures. Please shout if you would like for me to remove a picture as some people don't like number plates children or other things in the public domain so no offence will be taken.

IMG_3148.jpgIMG_3165.jpgIMG_3160.jpgIMG_3157.jpgIMG_3156.jpgIMG_3155.jpgIMG_3152.jpgIMG_3151.jpgIMG_3150.jpgIMG_3169.jpgIMG_3125.jpgIMG_3147.jpgIMG_3144.jpgIMG_3143.jpgIMG_3142.jpgIMG_3141.jpgIMG_3129.jpgIMG_3128.jpgIMG_3127.jpgIMG_3149.jpg

Last edited:
Nice photos, captured some great moments there but my fave is the Unimog trying to hide in the bushes.

Clive, non taken mate.

Blimey! Scarey time missing the bridge! looks like a bunch of fun!

I got it at more of an angle before we started to winch :doh:

Great pics Warren. :clap:

Cant believe how close you came to rolling into that big hole Rob! :icon-surprised:

Looks like a great weekend! :thumbup:

Will you have lil blue fixed before next month Trev? :think:

I can sense the shear terror in your voice on the video of you going backwards down the hill! :thumbdown:

Did you try pulling the handbrake at all? :think:

Handbrake, On a Colorado. Come on Ben you know better than that. lol

:lol:

So its a 70, 80 and 90 series thing then! :doh:

Back