Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

Had my first day at TAFE (college) today. I told the guy in charge of metal fabrication & welding that I want to get qualified so I can go and work in the mines so hes signed me up for certificate 4 (basically NVQ4 in the UK system), I will also be getting all the tickets to be a coded welder. :icon-cool:

How are the mines going over there now coal prices have dropped, have they slowed down much?

If you don't want to put a giigle pin shaft in your 8274 you can put 8274-50 internals in it this is what I did on mine and seems to be holding very well. they just look a lot beefer then standard parts.
stu

I hate to be the one to say it but is it perhaps time to start a second thread . Does anyone else find it takes an age to load this thread to see the latest comment ?

Perhaps it would be an idea to end this thread with a link to the new thread which continues where this ends .

All very interesting and a riveting read, but out of it all I want a pie oven

:lol:

We were getting frozen pies out of the Engal in the morning and putting them in the pie oven and by lunch time they were cooked to perfection. :clap:

How are the mines going over there now coal prices have dropped, have they slowed down much?

Things have definitely slowed down, but theres still a lot of mining taking place. They don't just mine coal, theres lots of different minerals. My mate who is over in WA is servicing road trains that are hauling millions of tonnes of manganese a week.

I was reading the other day that Australia is the single biggest exporter of iron ore in the world. :icon-smile:

I really hope I can go and work in the mines and earn big money once I'm qualified as its part of my dream! But if I cant I will still have a nice qualification and be more skilled than I am now. :icon-biggrin:

Also the thousands of dollars its costing me can be claimed back against my tax so theoretically it shouldn't cost me anything. :dance:

If you don't want to put a giggle pin shaft in your 8274 you can put 8274-50 internals in it this is what I did on mine and seems to be holding very well. they just look a lot beefer then standard parts.
stu

Thanks Stu, something for me to look into. :thumbup:

When we had the winch on the bench and I was welding the braces on we had a peak inside and it has obviously had water in it at some point as the main gear was a bit rusty and tired. :thumbdown:

The plan was to replace it when Michael upgrades his to twin motors as I was going to buy his uprated motor off him as apparently when upgrading to twin motor you change both motors, its no good fitting one new one and having one thats a year or 2 old. :think:

I'm hoping to have it off this week and get it to work so I can get it fixed. :pray:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I hate to be the one to say it but is it perhaps time to start a second thread . Does anyone else find it takes an age to load this thread to see the latest comment ?

Perhaps it would be an idea to end this thread with a link to the new thread which continues where this ends .

:shock:

NOOOOO! :eusa-naughty:

I want this thread to reach a million views! :icon-cool:

I think a button at the top which takes you to the bottom of the page would be very useful. :think:

Crispin? :pray:

they are really easy to rebuild cant believe how expensive they are as they are so simple. I wouldn't have you have to watch out when fitting them to get square as then the oil runs out of the hole them drum goes through. did it die completely or did you stop using it as it was making funny noises? watch out for the ball bearing dropping out when you take the brake off they go everywhere !!!!
stu

Hi Ben, would recommend you go for the Giggle pin setup if you can afford they lay out!! My winch pulls like hell on the 2.5HP motor and would like to upgrade! I you want to be able to freespool your winch with no effort go with Giggle pin!!!

I think a button at the top which takes you to the bottom of the page would be very useful. :think:

Fair play a million views is a goal i can respect , and oddly enough i've just clicked on your comment and arrived in an instant , its my com being slow loading pics i guess as there are no pics on this page .

That would be a better option for Ben!

I too have problems as normally I'm accessing the forum on an iPad with an often iffy wifi connection! The last set of photos posted took all lunchtime to "materialize". It's quick on the laptop though, or if I'm on my home or work wifi connection.

No I don't believe that the Warn 8274 fits in an ARB front bumper without some slight modifications. I would go outside and check but its gone to the local garage to have a new rad, water pump, and gearbox rebuild. :think:

I'd love to convert mine to air free spool. Gigglepin sell the replacement drum as do a few other companies. :icon-cool:

The ultimate and what some of the comp guys run are complete Giggelpin winches. Another one which is proving popular is Red winches.

My boss has recently imported a Gigglepin twin motor winch, I will get some pics of it when we fit it on the comp truck. :icon-wink:

A friend of Michaels has recently ordered a Red hydraulic winch, which should be here soon.

Interesting that the UK is now the place for the best winches in the world. :clap:

http://www.gigglepin4x4.net/GPWinches.php

http://www.red-winches.com/products/hornet/4/

One day I'd love a Gigglepin or Red for the comp truck I'm going to build but until then I will fix and upgrade my Warn 8274. :icon-biggrin:

Last edited:
Fair play a million views is a goal i can respect , and oddly enough i've just clicked on your comment and arrived in an instant , its my com being slow loading pics i guess as there are no pics on this page .

sometimes when i have already viewed photos on a page and just want to read comments, i click the "x" or stop loading page button on browser by the navigation tool bar
this means it stops loading the photos, but has already loaded the text! which i can then read without the page jumping around as it loads more photos

you should have stayed here then ben!! there is a lot of people pushing the winches in the uk to new heights. we do have some very good knowledge here just not in the management so the big companies don't move on.
stu

That would be a better option for Ben!

I too have problems as normally I'm accessing the forum on an iPad with an often iffy wifi connection! The last set of photos posted took all lunchtime to "materialize". It's quick on the laptop though, or if I'm on my home or work wifi connection.

After all this time viewing this forum using an iPad, I've just noticed the "go to first unread post" button (or words to that effect) :doh:

Of course, I've been scrolling and scrolling Ben's thread for months checking out the replies... what a :teasing-knob:I am!

Last edited:
Things have definitely slowed down, but theres still a lot of mining taking place. They don't just mine coal, theres lots of different minerals. My mate who is over in WA is servicing road trains that are hauling millions of tonnes of manganese a week.

I was reading the other day that Australia is the single biggest exporter of iron ore in the world. :icon-smile:

Yeah I know, I work for one of the major OEM equipment suppliers.

They are starting to moth ball them a fair bit over here; the costs of extraction were getting a bit too high, so they've left the machinery there, but laid of a couple of hundred staff normally.

The other big argument is that they're laying off the Aussie staff (who want above Award wages) and bringing in cheaper 457 Visa (business sponsored) workers who can be paid at Award wage... so are cheaper.

ABC Article Here

I really hope I can go and work in the mines and earn big money once I'm qualified as its part of my dream! But if I cant I will still have a nice qualification and be more skilled than I am now. :icon-biggrin:

Also the thousands of dollars its costing me can be claimed back against my tax so theoretically it shouldn't cost me anything. :dance:

I reckon that the next booming area, especially now the $ is dropping will be agriculture; so many of the young lads have been drawn to the mines, the number of skilled guys is really low. Another ABC article

Aus exports 60%+ of it's beef production, and that's remained pretty constant over the years; I think it's something like one of the top 5 exporters world wide... they've got the benefit that the herd is disease free, having never had BSE, and no outbreak of FMD since 1870! (guess what I'm doing at uni at the moment)

I know one of the guys down on the Liverpool Plains has left the mines and is now working as a fabricator and general farm guy on a farm; he basically has the job of fixing the machinery as it gets broken, and modifying it to suit how they're using it, as well as a whole load of other stuff

I love how you can set so much against your tax so easily; do what the guys I know do, and write that money off, and then come July buy new car bits with it when you do your tax return! You never really had it anyway, so it's a bit of a bonus!

Last edited:
Ben,

What do they call your waffle boards over here? One of the Farcebook groups I belong to has someone looking for some, and I thought you'd be the man to know!

Ta

Loads of work in Agriculture, that's why i'm here

Back