Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

Yes that would work Rob. :icon-biggrin:

Thinking about it it really wouldn't be that hard me for make my own conversion kit. :think:

It will have to wait till after my Simpson trip now but when I get back I will do it. I will ask the mechanic at work which car has rear disc brakes and a cable operated handbrake on the caliper and is easily available. Source some new calipers and make brackets to fit them. Decide what discs to use and then get some brake hoses and cables made up. :icon-biggrin:

Ben

Nice work, how do you find the mains rattle gun?

P8160045_zpsb0403507.jpg

I think it would be a good purchase and wondered your thoughts.

Bloody awesome mate! :clap:

IMHO Hilti make the best power tools in the world!

My rattle gun is a second hand Hilti purchased off ebay for about £40, only down side is I dont think they do them in 240v, only 110v. But I dont really find that a problem, I've got quite a few 110v tools anyway, so just plug in a transformer and lead. :thumbup:

Back To LJ For A Moment.....................

I've been getting quite stressed and worried about how much work I need to get done in the next 4 weeks before the trip.

But I've just drawn a big list up of everything that needs to be done, everything I still need to buy and what jobs I need to do at work. :icon-ugeek:

Its looking like I will have to work through every lunch break so I can get the work done using the machines at work. Work every free weekend end on it (sadly cant do next weekend as said I will help my boss all weekend). Will also probably need to put a load of evenings in. :sleeping-sleep:

Theres also some work that is being out sourced such as the auto electrics, wheel alignment and dyno tuning. :think:

I'm confident it will all come together though. :thumbup:

I will ask the mechanic at work which car has rear disc brakes and a cable operated handbrake on the caliper and is easily available.

Try Civic MA/MB/MC/EK series (late 90s).

My Mk2 golf GTI had disc rears with cable hand brake to caliper, Mercedes has the the same rear brake set up as a 80 series, hat type disc brake with shoes in the drum for hand brake, I prefer that type as when the hand brake binds on after standing its not as hard to free off as a calliper.

I think that a Volvo x70 and 850 has that set up, if so I know of plenty being broken... Let us know if you want me to find out.

Looks like I will be able to use the brackets I have used before on my 40 series 4 bolt rear axle, they allow the use of Toyota calipers the same design as on the front discs.

RearDisc2.jpg

Instead of the disc caliper bracket being behind the axle flange (as in photo) it will be placed in front of axle flange, rotor then slides over the wheel studs onto the face of the axle and the wheel & nuts hold the rotor in place.

I then use a stainless steel disc rotor on the gearbox for hand brake.

IMG_1564.JPG

Modify

IMG_1662.JPG

Installed

IMG_1739.JPG

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have been told that the rear discs and handbrake calipers of an Isuzu trooper fit onto the lj70's. So you also get the backing plate and caliper mounts incorporated on the set up.
Maybe worth checking it out. It was one of the guys with a suzuki sj who used lj70 axles on it was telling me... Worth a measure up. :thumbup:

This has just come up on another forum, and I thought you might be interested in it...

I have been told that the rear discs and handbrake calipers of an Isuzu trooper fit onto the lj70's. So you also get the backing plate and caliper mounts incorporated on the set up.
Maybe worth checking it out. It was one of the guys with a suzuki sj who used lj70 axles on it was telling me... Worth a measure up. :thumbup:

Do you have a link?

Thanks guys. Lots for me to think about. :thumbup:

Will have a big LJ update for you over the weekend some time! :dance:

I've been buying heaps of parts and tonight I'm going to spend 5 hours working on LJ at work and then all this weekend.
Which should mean I can knock over a heap of jobs. :icon-cool:

Next weekend I'm going to take her on a 500k test drive as I've got to head North of the city to do some work. Tony S suggested I really need to get some miles under her after all the work I've been doing/will be doing before I set off in 29 days for the Simpson Trip, so this will be a few more towards that. :icon-biggrin:

Rob where did you get the caliper from for the handbrake on the back of your transfercase?

I bought an LJ70 kit from these guys:

http://foundry4x4.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=65_1757

It never worked properly and in the end they stopped selling them for Toyota's and most of the people who bought them sent them back and got there money back.

*It looks like they might have gone bust maybe, as they used to have there own website and a lot more products. :?

I've still got mine and would love to get it working. :think:

That is interesting, thanks. :thumbup:

I wonder what they were sold as down here. Jackaroo I think. :think:

This has just come up on another forum, and I thought you might be interested in it...

Thanks mate, that would be perfect for changing UJ's with on the tracks. :clap:

Don't think Chris J will be too happy though! They've stolen his idea, he told me he wanted to mount a vice on a receiver hitch years ago! :shifty:

As I thought........................

Sold by Holden here as a Jackaroo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isuzu_Trooper

Will see if I can find the parts now. :thumbup:

Found a guy in Melbourne wrecking one, will give him a call today and see if I can buy the bits I need. Will take some parts with me to compare and measure to see if they should fit. :icon-biggrin:

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/stevo397...arts_Accessories&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

If it is a straight forward bolt on job then I should be able to have them fitted before my trip, although I would probably want to fit new parts if it works. :think:

Ben if your getting trooper/jakaroo parts you need the mk1 not the later one that's on e bay.
The mk1 had the calipers with handbrake, they were problematic so make sure actually work.
The Mk2 onwards had handbrake like the 80 with shoes inside the discs.

Edit....
Vauxhall/holden astra like yours have rear calipers with handbrake mech too. Might be a bit small for LJ though.

Last edited:
Wedge shaped jackaroo... I know where there's some in a wreckers yard.... Shame its 500km away!

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

Will call round some wreckers yards when I get chance. :icon-wink:

Should be pretty cheap compared to Toyota parts. :icon-cool:

The hubs I wil get second hand but the discs and calipers I will get new. :think:

I've had another productive day on LJ and got heaps done. :dance:

Sadly the alternator shit itself on the way to work today. :doh:

Rather now though than in the middle of the desert next month! :shifty:

I will take it to work next week and put it on the test bench and then recondition it. :icon-cool:

Buy a Hyundai H1/starex generator instead Ben! 110 Amps and comes with vaccuum pump.. Fits without too much work, atleast on the 2-lt, dont know how it lines up on the 1kz-t though..

so it's an easy swap if you're looking för more amperage ;)

Yeah lucky the alternator went today, not in desert. Alternator failed on Wugg the landcruiser 5 days before I went to morocco last autumn, luckily I had a spare to fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

:lol: Wont be full of sand Dave, this one isnt that old and hasnt been in a single bog hole. :thumbdown:

Thanks Victor but this one is already an upgraded one, cant remember exact amperage but its a lot more than the standard 1KZ-T one. :think:

Yes very lucky Andy. :icon-biggrin:

Fortunately with LJ having a manual fuel pump and being diesel once shes running she uses virtually no electrical power so I would always get home/be able to keep going. :dance:

But obviously I'd loose the fridge, stereo, CB etc. and wouldn't be able to drive at night as wouldn't have lights. :thumbdown:

Back