Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

Thanks guys.:thumbup:

We shouldn't be too far from Noosa Pat. :icon-biggrin:

Currently looking at Maroochydore and Mooloolaba. :icon-cool:

The prices I got back for container shipping were ridiculous. :thumbdown:

So I'm now thinking I will do my truck test and get a license so I can hire a big truck and do the whole move in one. Will cost about a grand for the test/license but I will be able to claim it back at tax time, it will look awesome on my CV next to my forklift license and it will no doubt come in useful over my life. :thumbup:

Great update Ben, circuit racing reminds me of my misspent youth at Mallory Park cheering on Gerry Marshall in his Camero... one of the most entertaining drivers ever...

Thanks for taking the time and effort to post :thumbup:

Gerry Marshall was one of the larger than life characters of saloon car racing IIRC, wasn't he?

I grew up around the BTCC at the height of the SuperTouring 2000cc class, so have been to all the major UK race tracks.

Red or Blue Ben? That's the question! I had to admit I was going for Blue, but not the Blue oval...

You do know that Mt Panorama is a public road most of the time don't you? It's odd pulling onto the start/finish straight, and driving round at the signposted 60kmh... and then questioning the sanity of the lads when you look at the speeds they do on some of the sections

The Treee House Project!

OK guys...............................

Tree House Build update! :dance::icon-biggrin: :thumbup:

The platform we put in the tree is so big that it wasnt fully supported by the tree and would need some steel in to help it.

We ordered some 90mm steam pipe. This is the same pipe I spent 18months practice welding pieces together for my TIG test.

DSCN3390_zpsvfmfpwqt.jpg

DSCN3391_zpsdqfohads.jpg

Cut some squares out of 3mm steel and drew round a used angle grinding disc that was the correct diameter.

DSCN3392_zpshszikvn4.jpg

Roughly cut them out on the guillotine and cleaned them up with a flap wheel disc in the grinder.

DSCN3393_zps8tvrzs98.jpg

DSCN3394_zpsqolmznct.jpg

Cut some pieces of 6mm thick flat bar and punched some slots in them using the new punching machine, which I'm in love with by the way! Its Awesome!!

DSCN3395_zpsnmajpheb.jpg

Welded one to the center of each circular piece of 3mm.

DSCN3397_zpsaokcswmr.jpg

DSCN3398_zpshtyp04jw.jpg

Cut some 200mm x 200mm squares of 6mm steel.

DSCN3399_zps30rupqyz.jpg

Punched some slots.

DSCN3400_zps9izio7j0.jpg

Cut some more 6mm thick flat and punched a slot in each, I also cut 1 extra one to use as a spacer.

DSCN3401_zps2jccztny.jpg

This is how I would bolt them together, using the extra one as a spacer + a washer to ensure it would all fit together OK afterwards and not be too tight.

DSCN3402_zpsfd5ml4hg.jpg

Assembled and ready to weld on.

DSCN3404_zps56jofcwd.jpg

DSCN3405_zps9gn7xcgj.jpg

Welded one to each piece of 200mm x 200mm.

DSCN3406_zpsmizlwjkd.jpg

DSCN3407_zps4gbrjnkn.jpg

Cut some angle, bent it and added some slots.

DSCN3412_zpsqd9telb9.jpg

DSCN3413_zps6v7akamf.jpg

DSCN3414_zpsjpxlmvct.jpg

DSCN3415_zpss0ywfhh6.jpg

Cut some more 6mm thick flat and punched a hole in each.

DSCN3416_zpsipgabxwh.jpg

Bolted them together using the spacer and washer.

DSCN3417_zpsltrrwzvc.jpg

Welded them on.

DSCN3418_zpscoxjrlyn.jpg

I now had all the brackets I needed for the tube supports.

DSCN3419_zpstpnka1oo.jpg

My boss picked up a load of Australian hardwood. 4" x 2" rough sawn timber for the floor joists and 90mm x 25mm planed planks for the floor boards.

DSCN3410_zpsgn0fxklt.jpg

We left Piranha at 6am on Tuesday and headed up to the farm.

DSCN3821_zps9y51e5xx.jpg

We could now fit the new steel tube supports and remove the acro-props and length of angle that we had left supporting the corners of the platform.

DSCN3822_zpshoo2z7cx.jpg

DSCN3823_zpsazo80cjm.jpg

We drilled and bolted the first corner bracket in position.

DSCN3825_zpsjx6tmmun.jpg

DSCN3824_zpsy5zzbmcv.jpg

To ensure nice neat square cuts on the tube when I cut it to length, I took my big Dewalt saw with me.

DSCN3826_zpstmx4dlqn.jpg

DSCN3827_zpsgnmry6xz.jpg

Tube cut to length we took it up to the shed on the golf buggy and I MIG welded the end caps/brackets on the ends.

DSCN3829_zpsnnxox0cd.jpg

Meanwhile my work mate had been busy cutting through the bark on the tree for the big square plates to bolt into the hard heartwood of the tree.

Bolted the tube to the top bracket.

Then realised the bottom plate needed to go up slightly. :doh:

(After this first one we realised that a better way of doing it would be to bolt the plate to the tree and then measure the length of the tube.)

So we needed to adjust the cut out in the tree slightly.

Then the plate could be drilled and screwed to the tree using big coach screws.

My boss was super excited like a 10 year old at Christmas and couldn't wait to climb up and see how stable it felt! :crazy:

Next one.

Last one.

We now had the 3 tube supports in place and the whole frame was now feeling nice and sturdy!

We had decided to make the tubes different lengths and angles as we didnt want it to look like a perfectly engineered modern structure. The idea is that the tube supports will blend in and look almost like branches coming up from the trunk. The plan is to leave all the metal bare and let it go brown with surface rust.

Next we could start fitting the floor joists.

The floor joists were over 5 meters long, which meant we could overhang them by over 2ft each side making for an even bigger platform.

A bit more trimming of the trunk was necessary.

We lifted all the floor boards up.

We got all the floor boards up ready for the next day just as the sun was setting.

By 8pm it was just getting dark as we knocked off for the day. It had been a long hard, hot day and we were all exhausted!

The next morning at 7am we made a start!

My work mate and me made a start fitting the floor boards.

We used a nail as a spacer between the boards.

Meanwhile my boss dug out an old set of stairs that had been washed down the river last time it flooded and ended up on his padock/field.

The idea is to use the old stairs, which will start in the garden, go over the fence to a landing/platform and I will build one more flight the same as the old flight, to then go from the landing up to the tree house.

While my boss and his mate cleared the section of garden where the stairs will go.

We carried on with the floor boards.

We had to add a couple of noggings to help support the floor boards around the tree.

This section of tree will become a table on the deck area which will be covered under a veranda roof which will extend all around the front and side of the house.

I needed to trim the ends off the floor boards as we had left them all over hanging.

I flicked a chalk line to give me a nice straight line to follow with the circular saw.

All cut.

We were then able to measure up for the house which I need to design and build.

I've taken a lot of inspiration from this American one and this is the sort of look were going for.

Ours will have a mezzanine floor on the second storey level with a double bed and the down stairs area will have a log burner and built in book cases under the ladder/stairs leading up stairs.

Outside there will be a big deck area with a veranda roof over the top. The staircase leading up one side and the other side will have a firemans pole for quick descents and a pulley block above with a rope and bucket hanging down for hoisting things up. There will also be a bell tower on the roof complete with an old English built church bell that came from a burnt down church in Tasmania. :icon-biggrin:

We picked up some new hardwood windows and doors. These were all cheap as they are slight seconds and/or ones that were ordered and never collected.

Started working out where everything will go. I'm thinking this is how the front will look with some more windows the same width as the door and 2 down stairs windows, above them on the second storey.

Worked out the pitch of the roof.

It will be about 53 degrees.

The gable walls will be quite tall at 4.8 meters high to the ridge.

The one gable will have the third window, with the other 2 matching ones on the front of the house.

I did some scale drawings.

I'm hoping to get the house built at work next week. Then the following week we can transport the 4 main sections and roof section to the farm and screw it all together. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Gerry Marshall was one of the larger than life characters of saloon car racing IIRC, wasn't he?

He certainly was, large as in not small and a terrifically exiting character behind the wheel and (I understand) on a bar stool :lol:

Some old 70's vids here, not good quality at all, but well worth a watch.

Great races Clive, I can't remember how many years since I was at Crystal Palace, good days good days!

that tree house is better than the house I live in! Mega construction - should be on TV ;)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
:shock: will the swimming pool , tennis courts and stables be added later Ben , i bet when the tree house is finished you could make a living travelling the world building replicas !

He certainly was, large as in not small and a terrifically exiting character behind the wheel and (I understand) on a bar stool :lol:

Some old 70's vids here, not good quality at all, but well worth a watch.

Gone are the days when idols were often pictured with a fag in one hand and pint in the other leaning against the car/bike they built at home in the shed having just won a race between equally charismatic vehicles and drivers . Terrible shame .

Gone are the days when idols were often pictured with a fag in one hand and pint in the other leaning against the car/bike they built at home in the shed having just won a race between equally charismatic vehicles and drivers . Terrible shame .

Agreed! One of the best things about those days and those races was that he used to drive race prepared vauxhall firenza's and the like, and at that time you'd be passing the mass production models of the same cars on your way to and from work every day.

That brought it home to you how well prepared the cars were and how "different" they were from the street version.

All the cars in my crowd mimicked them, of course only to a very minor degree in comparison, updated suspension, lowering, GT this and that, wide wheels and so on, but it was great inspiration for us teenagers.

that tree house is better than the house I live in! Mega construction - should be on TV ;)

Thanks mate. :thumbup:

Theres a program in the US called Tree House Masters, that my boss has been watching. Pete Nelson, the guy on the program builds custom designed tree houses. :icon-cool:

http://www.discoverychannel.com.au/shows/treehouse-masters/

My boss was talking to one of the TV companies here about showing our documentary on the Solar Suzuki and they asked what else he had going on and he told them about the tree house were building. They were very interested and said to send them all the pics and videos we have and they may be interested in making a documentary about it. :icon-biggrin:

:shock: will the swimming pool , tennis courts and stables be added later Ben , i bet when the tree house is finished you could make a living travelling the world building replicas !

:lol:

I'd quite like to start a company designing and building tree houses. As far as I know, there is no other company offering that service in Australia.

There are a few companies who have luxury tree houses that people can rent for the night and they are mega money and always booked up!

One of our dreams, once we have some land is to build some tree houses and start a business renting them out for nights/weeks. I was thinking if I put up 5-6 luxury tree houses and made them all a bit different it could also be a sort of portfolio for me to show people the sort of tree houses I could design and build for them.

Last edited:
That looks like a great show Shayne. :thumbup:

Coming back to the UK in August reminded me how good UK TV is compared with Australia! :|

OK a little update...............................

Yesterday we picked up a load of timber.

DSCN4037_zps1ingflun.jpg

4" x 2" hardwood for all the roof rafters.

DSCN4038_zpsc6idlmb4.jpg

90mm x 45mm pine for all the stud walls.

DSCN4040_zpspxmzm375.jpg

And Cyprus pine posts to go around the veranda and help support the veranda roof.

DSCN4039_zpsb7h5zf6b.jpg

My boss also picked up some old windows which have sadly had a huge chunk cut out of them when they were badly removed.

DSCN4041_zps96x00vga.jpg

So today I could finally start building the house that will sit on the platform in the tree! :dance:

DSCN4046_zpspqogvkkn.jpg

DSCN4047_zpsopjderlo.jpg

The easiest way to make studwalls is on the ground as a big frame and the easiest way to work it out is to first cut the length of timber for the bottom and top.

DSCN4050_zps0yely8cv.jpg

Then both can be marked at the same time for the position of all the up right studs.

DSCN4051_zps4r22ehqb.jpg

DSCN4048_zpsu9kbeavo.jpg

DSCN4049_zpswvetxx14.jpg

Gable walls.

DSCN4052_zps25cs6l35.jpg

DSCN4053_zpsjvghbuos.jpg

DSCN4054_zps5feubbmf.jpg

DSCN4055_zpssrtqjutu.jpg

The frames didnt look too big laid flat on the ground, but lifted up you really get a sense of how huge this tree house will be!

DSCN4057_zpsnrmucno1.jpg

DSCN4058_zpseschhblf.jpg

DSCN4059_zps3kbo7cfh.jpg

DSCN4060_zpsqss6iud7.jpg

DSCN4062_zps4st71vom.jpg

DSCN4061_zpsjkerxvkd.jpg

DSCN4063_zpspwkbidnz.jpg

Clamped the 4 sections together to see how it will look.

DSCN4064_zpsojebawgq.jpg

DSCN4065_zps2fhx4lo7.jpg

DSCN4066_zpswiz6mj33.jpg

DSCN4068_zpsnrbykgrd.jpg

I'm having heaps of fun building this project! I'd forgotten how much nicer timber is to work with than metal! Such a nice clean natural product! :icon-biggrin:

I think you've really excelled yourself with this project Ben, I want one in my back yard, only problem is I'd need a bigger house and garden first. I do have a tree though.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! [emoji106]

This tree palace is going to be amazing!! [emoji41]

In other news..........

The $3000 carbon fibre propeller with sexy aluminium machined centre has just turned up for the airboat, from the USA! [emoji48]

My priorities for my last 6 weeks here are the tree mansion, airboat and solar Suzuki! My boss wants them all finished so there's going to be a fair amount of overtime and weekend work I'm sure! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the tree house Ben, made the big mistake of showing it to my 7yr old daughter Ana, now she wants one "just like that one there" pointing at the American sample you're using for ideas.:doh:

"...and we have a big ash tree up the back" says she, I can't even say we don't have a suitable tree :icon-rolleyes::lol:

Thanks mate [emoji106]

[emoji23]

Do it! [emoji6]

Tree houses are magical! They re-awake the child in all of us! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New Zealanders used to have initiative but the beauracrats are trying to stop people building their own houses and of course big business do not like do it yourself guys so steer clear of this place that used to be paradise but not now.I like what you are doing Ben.

One observation Ben, the "American" model you're getting inspiration from is cute and IMO, it's cute because of the roof eaves. My house is made of wood and one of its nicest features, again IMO, are the eaves.

So much so that when I designed the extension, I emphasized them even more. The extra cost is marginal, but the character they create is invaluable.

I don't know your plans for the roof, but it's worth considering.

This is the original house, and you can see the that the roof overhangs the walls creating the eave, which has extended rafters which are visible from underneath and for that reason they are decoratively profiled, which needs doing before they're installed.

image.jpeg

The extension roof has longer rafters than the house, but we've kept a similar profile to them to maintain the style as much as possible. In this pic, the original house is on the left and the extension facing. For me, the big eaves make all the difference. They're not very functional, but they look nice. High cute factor :lol:

image.jpeg

Back