Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

if only it was that simple Roger. :)

if i fail it which i really hope i dont its only a few hundred to re-sit it.

but.....................if i was to fail the carpentry assessment and have to re-do it then, that would be another £900! :shock:

so back to the electrical problem.

John i did what you said and tested the AMP's with one of the batteries disconnected.

i then did the same with the other battery, and both times i got exactly the same reading. 0.26. :?

any ideas where to go next with this? :pray:

If you have an amperage drain of 0.26, that indicates a wattage (amps x voltage) of approx 3.25. Do you have a bonnet operated switch for the internal light that may be from a de-activated alarm system?

Roger

26mA isn't going to suck your batteries dry in a hurry but if you don't have an alarm then it still seems a bit on the high side. With only one battery connected (to eliminate drain between the batteries) you should be able to get it down to 0 by pulling fuses, all of them, one at a time, including those direct connections you've got that don't go through the OEM fuse box. If it's something like ECU or ECU B (don't know exactly what fuses you have) then you might be on a wild goose chase as sometimes ECU's will draw power for a while and then go to sleep. It's not something silly like an LED on a multi-way cig socket that's got constant power is it? ;)

thanks guys. :thumbup:

it hasnt got an alarm anymore, so i will check if theres anything left that could be causing problems. i was pretty sure i removed all the bits of alarm i could find though. :think:

no ECU John. i will start pulling fuses out again tomorrow, and hopefully i can stop the current draw. :pray: :thumbup:

What a pain - not like you haven't got enough things to be getting on with :roll:

Probably a daft question - but did you have any doors/boot open when you tested? :shifty:

That's all I've got I'm afraid... unless you maybe try disconnecting both batteries? I'm pretty sure the problem will go away - and it would rule out the supernatural. Now, there is an outside chance this might create new challenges... with things like getting it started - but on the up-side... death wobble cured for sure! :thumbup:

Ok not helping.... well, hope it turns out to be an easy one fella!

Ben, I have a slow battery drain, and found out that it was my CD/Radio that was doing it -- its one of those CD/Radio's with a detachable cover -- I noticed one-dark night in the garage when the cover was off and there was a 'little' red light flashing!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Maverick said:
Ben, I have a slow battery drain, and found out that it was my CD/Radio that was doing it -- its one of those CD/Radio's with a detachable cover -- I noticed one-dark night in the garage when the cover was off and there was a 'little' red light flashing!!

BINGO! That could be the answer to my battery drain problem! :clap: I installed a new radio a few months back, cant believe I didnt think of that! It will be annoying if it is that though as it means Ill have to disconnect the radio or give it an ignition controlled power supply which means Ill loose all my radio settings/presets every time. :thumbdown:

ModelMakerMan said:
Maverick said:

BINGO! That could be the answer to my battery drain problem! :clap: I installed a new radio a few months back, cant believe I didnt think of that! It will be annoying if it is that though as it means Ill have to disconnect the radio or give it an ignition controlled power supply which means Ill loose all my radio settings/presets every time. :thumbdown:

This should not be a problem Dave. I have an after market radio/CD player with a memory and you then need to add on the clock and fuel gauge and I can leave the motor for weeks at a time and it still starts OK.

Roger

ps. And then there's the alarm system

thanks guys. :thumbup:

its not the stereo, as i pulled the fuse out on that and there was still amps disappearing somewhere. :thumbdown:

the battery terminals id fitted turned out to be crap, as the wires kept coming out. :thumbdown:

P5040005.jpg

so i got some better ones off ebay.

P5040006.jpg

got a load of these off my mate.

P5040010.jpg

and set about crimping the new ends on the cables. found a little vice worked well for this.

P5040011.jpg

first one done. :)

P5040012.jpg

i found a broken wire on the next terminal. not very clear in the pics.

P5040015.jpg

P5040016.jpg

P5040017.jpg

i sorted out that connection and fitted a new piece of wire. will be interesting to see what now starts working again. :think:

all new terminals fitted. :clap:

P5040028.jpg

P5040029.jpg

i used some jump leads so that i wouldnt have to keep running around to the front of the truck, as i pulled fuses out, trying to find the electrical fault.

P5040033.jpg

pulled all the fuses out, one by one, but it didnt make any difference.

P5040035.jpg

P5040039.jpg

P5040040.jpg

i know its now showing 0.07, but it seems to fluctuate a fair bit, one minute its reding 0.12, then 0.17, then 0.07. :?

so im still no where nearer to finding this fault. not sure what i can do next?

i did also pull/disconnect all the other connections ive made under the bonnet that go to relays etc and this made no difference. :?

Have you disconnected the wire from the auxiliary power fuse box under the bonnet? Also the glow plug circuit might not have a fuse (my pre-heater did not) as well as the starter and alternator so I would start tracing the wires and disconnecting various parts one by one to isolate the drain. That is how I found my pre-heater relay battery drain on mine.

Thanks Rob. :thumbup:

i havnt disconnected the power fuse box under the bonnet yet, but i will try that and try disconnecting everything else youve mentioned. :)

hopefully i will find the fault. :pray:

what an absolute f*****g nightmare todays laning trip turned into! :thumbdown: :(

only just got home and finally having my dinner.

truck had to be towed home and is in quite a state! :thumbdown:

looks like its going to be a busy and expensive week to try and get it ready for Lincomb! :?

time for a beer i think! :beer:

Ben said:
what an absolute f*****g nightmare todays laning trip turned into! :thumbdown: :(

only just got home and finally having my dinner.

truck had to be towed home and is in quite a state! :thumbdown:

looks like its going to be a busy and expensive week to try and get it ready for Lincomb! :?

time for a beer i think! :beer:

damn! can't leave us hanging like that, whats happened?

well.........................

the plan for today was to spend half the day out laning in south shropshire, driving some lanes ive not driven for a few years, as a bit of a reconnaissance trip, as im leading a group around Shropshire in a few weeks and want to show them some lanes theyve not done before. :)

the day was going quite well really. :cool:

and then i decided to show the chap who i was out laning with me, what is Shroshires muddiest lane! :|

i never intended to drive it as i knew id end up spending 6 hours cleaning my truck, for 10 minutes worth of fun. :roll:

the video below is the start of the lane, and at that exact time everything was good!

th_HPIM0239.jpg

the lane is very rutted and i ended up with the truck at a very sever angle, to the point where it felt like it could tip over at any moment. it was at such an angle that the 15-20 litres of fuel in the tank wasnt being sucked up by the fuel pick up, so the truck spluttered and died! :(

not a problem i thought, i will stick 20 litres of veg/derv mix in the tank, and hopefully that will be enough in the tank for it to drive. :dance:

so as i went to get the jerry can out i stood on/in the back wheel and snapped the valve off the wheel! :doh:

so after getting the can out of tha back of the truck, i lifted it up and started pouring the fuel into the tank, and some how managed to slip over! so im now stuck on this lane, with a flat tyre, covered in mud and diesel! lovely! :roll:

so i stuck the rest of the fuel in and decided that i should keep going to the end of the lane, where i could change the wheel. this was mistake number 2, i should have tried to reverse out. :oops:

with both lockers engaged i managed to move forwards and into a deep water section, where i managed to get myself completely stuck! :thumbdown:

i could move about a foot forwards and backwards but couldnt get out of the deep muddy water. the water was 3ft deep and half way up the doors.
i couldnt open the doors enough to get out, so had to climb out of the window, dukes of hazard style! :roll:

had to climb onto the bull bar and fish around in the cold water to unhook the winch hook, and then turn the free spool lever on the winch, to free spool. i was a bit sceptical as to whether or not my cheap, 5 year old Chinese winch, would work being fully submerged in water.

i was then able to attach the winch rope to a tree, climb back in through the window, by which point the water in the drivers foot well was over a foot deep! not pleasant trying to find the pedals in filthy smelly water!

fortunately the winch worked faultlessly! :clap: and i was able to winch myself out of the muddy water.

after unhooking the winch line and walking back to the truck, i noticed there was oil leaking from under the front of the truck! :shock:

my first thought was 5hit have i managed to blow the front diff up. :?

looking a bit closer revealed that it was engine oil leaking from behind the cambelt cover.
:thumbdown:

id also managed to roll the tyre off the wheel. :roll:

with all the lockers engaged i still couldnt get down the lane, sio ended up having to winch the entire way down the lane. :(

got to the end and fitted the spare. decided i didnt want to risk damaging the engine, by driving it with the engine leaking so much oil. so got towed about 30 miles home!

so ive now got a truck that is absolutely filthy, both inside and out, with an engine that is leaking oil at an alarming rate, and a spare wheel with a tyre and wheel that are both possibly knackered. :thumbdown:

the cambelt is going to need replacing as it is now no doubt contaminated with engine oil, im guessing front main seal is whats gone? need to strip it down and inspect it though really. meant to be revising this week for my exams, but now i need to make time to fix my truck before the weekend.

so more evenings to be spent getting covered in dirt and oil working on my truck, oh what joy! :roll:

Bad luck, Ben - some sensible calls there once you discovered the oil leak. Any ideas what may have caused it? If it was unrelated to the mudbath, then you might not have noticed it before damage was done.

Hope you come right this week :thumbup:

Any chance it's oil coming up the air line from the diff actuator? It can happen. It might be tracking somewhere and leaking out of an odd place. Obviously I haven't see under your bonnet, Ben. But just worth mentioning that oil can get out of there.

Chris

Hmmm good point, Chris - or maybe an air leak in the diff (from the locker line) pressurising it and blowing oil out the breather?
It should be reasonably easy to differentiate between diff oil and engine oil by the smell and condition/colour.

Jeeeez Ben... what a day! :shock:
Obviously not much I can do to help - but really hope it all works out during the week fella :thumbup:

One to giggle about round the pig when it's all fixed up and done? :cool:

Back