Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

Ben I found what was draining the batteries on mine, its the towing electrics. I have a feed direct from the batteries through a "Smart" split charge relay to the socket, the meter dropped to 0 as soon as I pulled the fuse so Im guessing its the split charge relay though I havent checked for sure as it means removing the rear trim pannels. Ive just disconnected it for now. I know this probably wont be much help to you but if I remember correctly you recently fitted towing electrics too so could be worth checking?

Also remember that with a door open the light on the dash lights up which draws 0.04 (also make sure the interior light isnt in the "DOOR" position), I had the have the drivers door open to get to the wiring so I taped the switch by the door catch in.

IMAG0214.jpg

As for your axle seals; I too have heard in the past that Milners seals are rubbish. As I said before I picked up a load of Trail Gear bits whilst I was in the US recently, a pair of the Trail Safe axle seals was on that list as they have done a lot of work making their seals better than stock, might be worth pointing Milner to the Trail Gear webpage! ;)

never thought of the towing electrics, or the doors being open. :think:

thanks i will have another look at it when i get chance. :thumbup:

glad you got yours sorted. :)

very much looking forward to seeing some pics of the trail gear bits youve bought. :thumbup:

picked up the new seals today. :thumbup:

2 x seals = £42! what a bargain! :liar: :roll:

the reason i bought 2 was because the parts bloke at my local main stealer wasnt sure which one i needed.

P5100005.jpg

checked the manual for fitting instructions.

P5100004.jpg

i found an angle screwdriver worked well to lever the old seal out.

P5100006.jpg

i think this is why it was leaking. the spring had come off the back of the seal.

P5100007.jpg

P5100008.jpg

compared it to the new one.

P5100009.jpg

P5100010.jpg

seal fitted.

P5100012.jpg

i then realised i needed some way of holding the crank pulley still while i tightened it to the huge torque setting that the FSM states. :think:

i started making a tool, but decided this was going to take to long and id never make Lincomb.

so i went and borrowed an impact wrench and digital torque wrench. :twisted:

P5100014.jpg

P5100015.jpg

once the pulley was back on and tightened up, i re-fitted the cambelt cover and alternator belts.

P5100016.jpg

spent half an hour hosing clay out of the rad and giving it a good flush through.

P5100013.jpg

re-fitted the rad, and filled it with new coolant.

P5100017.jpg

put a board underneath so that any leaks would show up and fired her up. ran the engine for 30 mins and couldnt find any leaks! :dance:

P5100019.jpg

i then cleaned all the recovery gear and tools and put everything away in my drawer system, stuck the camping gear in the truck, stuck 36 litres of veg oil in 3 jerry cans ready to be topped up with derv tomorrow, washed all the mud out of the inside of the truck, and finished the brit pig. :thumbup:

amazing what can be achieved in 5 hours. so looks like im all ready for Lincomb, providing nothing else goes wrong. :pray:

tomorrow night will be spent revising ready for saturdays english exams. :thumbdown:

high heat paint for the pig.

P5100020.jpg

wire brushed the chimney sections and body, and then wiped them with thinners.

P5100021.jpg

chimney sections sprayed.

P5100022.jpg

masked off the hot plate.

P5100023.jpg

suspended it and sprayed it all over.

P5100024.jpg

gave the legs a coat of galv spray.

P5100025.jpg

is it Lincomb time yet. :violin:

Looking forward to seeing the pig in action at Lincomb. If I remember Ill bring the bag of Trail Gear goodies along so you can have a [strike:br8mfoax]drool over[/strike:br8mfoax] look at them! :thumbup:

Ben, next time you are passing Machine Mart, you might treat yourself to one of these. Really good for inner axle oil seals too. I actually stuck some weld on mine as the little machine screws tended to work loose. But other than that it's a handy addition to the tool cupboard.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... l%20puller

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Excellent effort Ben :clap: Good luck with the exams :pray: ,and enjoy Lincomb, I think you've earned it!

Should be about Monday night Ben give us a shout 0776019020.
Was the oil leak repair successful then ?
I still need to sort my rear diff leak. :(

thanks Chris, will have to get one of those. :)

thanks Scott. :thumbup:

Shaun, great will give you a shout when im up your way. :thumbup:

oil leak seems to be fixed. :thumbup:

i dont want to say YES its fixed!! :dance:

because thats what i did when i thought the death wobble was fixed, and then look what happened. :lol:

did 30miles in the truck tonight and it seems fine, engine temp was ok and used no coolant or oil. :cool:

Well done dude... Now get on with your revision!!!

Good luck for tomorrow gringo :cool:

Lincomb was awesome! :clap:

posted all my pics and vids on the Lincomb thread, but thought id post a couple of my favourite ones here! :cool:

P5130020.jpg

P5130038.jpg

P5130043.jpg

P5130044.jpg

[youtube:qsuv3z8l]8FqchI_sE28[/youtube:qsuv3z8l]

[youtube:qsuv3z8l]-cMwlyoXMMs[/youtube:qsuv3z8l]

mad to think on one tiny little Shropshire green lane, last monday i did so much damage to my truck. then spent 22hours at Lincomb and didnt get any damage! :)

hoping to crack on and get some more work done on my truck before Sundays laning trip. :thumbup:

off to Preston shortly ready for tomorrows carpentry assessment, lets hope it goes better than the English exams went. :pray:

not done any tradition cut roofs since i was at college 8 years ago, so ive spent a few hours today practising with some scrap wood. theres a few complicated calculations to work out with lots of different angles. :)

P5140001-1.jpg

P5140002-1.jpg

Fantastic news, Ben :thumbup: Nothing should hold you back now - if they have any doubts about your talents, just point them to this thread! ;)

Great result Ben, another tick on the checklist done. :flags-australia:

Another one soon to be waving the flag - well done Ben. Who are you gonna support in the Ashes then ;) :naughty:

Back