Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

ModelMakerMan said:
Its about time you cleaned the mess out of your big drawers! :p

I just ordered the same alternator as you. Tried and failed today to get the pulley off the old one by clamping the pulley in the vice and turning the nut but the pulley just slipped round the shaft, how did you do it?

Boring out the pulley wont be a problem for me (if you cant find anyone to do yours post it to me and Ill do it), is the shaft definitely straight and not tapered?

Thanks Dave. Will drop you a PM. :thumbup:

Ben, it may not be a good idea to just drill the pulley out with a drill as its not accurate enough to get a good fit on the shaft (you may be lucky but I would not risk it). You would need to take the pulley that came off the new alternator and measure the bore accurately preferably with a bore mic and then you need to either bore the new pulley out to the same size or use a reamer. Depending on the fit, the bore could be undersize or oversize. Shaft dimension would also be useful preferably using a mic rather than a vernier. If you send it to someone with a lathe I would recommend sending both pulleys.

Dave if you need a reamer just ask ;)

Yeah good point, thanks Rob. :thumbup:

I think i will wait until Dave has got his new alternator, and has worked out exactly what needs doing to his old pulley to make it fit the new alternator.

Then maybe i can send my old pulley to Dave, who will then no exactly what to do to it, to make it fit my alternator. :whistle: :pray:

Need to get my pulley off first! I need to borrow a 22mm offset ring spanner or box spanner I think? :think:

All looking very industriouse as per usuall Ben :mrgreen:

Shelves look good m8 :thumbup: you must have spent some time getting the support cords not only both the same length on each shelf, but also so they held the shelves at the correct angle :)

Your getting good with that rear diff now :clap: I'll keep you in mind next time I need any work doing on mine :D :thumbup: I wonder how much difference it would have made for you having the rear diff working on that Bar Steward Lane :think: Gile's truck may have not required a lay down if you'd made it through that first Bomb Hole :D

Have you looked into what other rads may fit into your truck? You may find something that with very little modification will do the job very well. I'd start by looking at what LandRovers had to offer, should be large enough, readily available and cheap as chips. Maybe a Hilux or Collie one will fit the bill if you'd prefer to remain in the Toyota stable, probably best too what with heading over to OZ. I know your worried about the extra heat load when your in OZ and we spoke about a bespoke one from someone like Alisport, but the other option could be to install an oil cooler to remove some of the heat from the engine if it becomes an issue when out in OZ. This is what they look at in the world of motor racing and modified cars before tampering with the standard cooling system they fit oil coolers. They call this primary engine cooling. Worth a look at IMHO :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
karl webster said:
If i remember right ben when gav had the diffs off jon they got quite hot.
Gave had all new gears and bearings. The new gears and bearings make some extra heat while running in and I put a fair bit of preload on all the front diff bearings so when they have run in they are still tight, otherwise they go sloppy and weaken the overall set up. IIRC correctly Gav had cryo'd bearings which can stand even more pre-load so they get it :) With used bearings I go a lot easier on the pre-load but they can still run a little warm to begin with because the bearing will sit differently in the race and need running in again but if the diff isn't doing any work I don't think I'd expect it to get as hot as Ben was describing.

OK seriously Ben how did you get the pulleys off the alternators?! Ive tried clamping the pulley in the vice but the shafts just slips inside the pulley, Ive tried almost an exact copy of what the FSM shows with the SSTs using a 22mm box wrench in the vice and a long 10mm socket in the end of the shaft and it just mullered the box wrench!

I cant get either of them off the new or the old alternators even after both the nuts have been sitting in WD40 for 4 days! Seems to be a really stupid design to me! :evil:

Just wondering if you could put an old belt in the pulley and clamp that in the vice rather then clamp onto the pulley. When I have done this in the past I have used blocks of soft wood in the vice. I also find that heating and rapid cooling sequences are very effective. Heat up and cool with WD40. It gets pulled into the joints that way.

Chris

Have you tried an impact wrench, and heating the nut with a small torch working round the edges of it if the impact wrench doesn't work on its own.

sae70 said:
All looking very industriouse as per usuall Ben :mrgreen:

Shelves look good m8 :thumbup: you must have spent some time getting the support cords not only both the same length on each shelf, but also so they held the shelves at the correct angle :)

Your getting good with that rear diff now :clap: I'll keep you in mind next time I need any work doing on mine :D :thumbup: I wonder how much difference it would have made for you having the rear diff working on that Bar Steward Lane :think: Gile's truck may have not required a lay down if you'd made it through that first Bomb Hole :D

Have you looked into what other rads may fit into your truck? You may find something that with very little modification will do the job very well. I'd start by looking at what LandRovers had to offer, should be large enough, readily available and cheap as chips. Maybe a Hilux or Collie one will fit the bill if you'd prefer to remain in the Toyota stable, probably best too what with heading over to OZ. I know your worried about the extra heat load when your in OZ and we spoke about a bespoke one from someone like Alisport, but the other option could be to install an oil cooler to remove some of the heat from the engine if it becomes an issue when out in OZ. This is what they look at in the world of motor racing and modified cars before tampering with the standard cooling system they fit oil coolers. They call this primary engine cooling. Worth a look at IMHO :)

Thanks Steven. :thumbup:

If my rear locker had been working then id have made it up that lane! :twisted:

I did last time when i had both lockers and similar tyres! :D

I meant to have a look at your rad to see if it would fit mine, but i forgot. :doh:

Will have to have a look at Lincomb. :)

I would like a nice shiny custom alloy rad under the bonnet though. :dance:

I will do some searching and see what i can find that might fit. :thumbup:

I hadnt thought about oil coolers. :think:

something else to think about and look for. :thumbup:

Jon Wildsmith said:
[quote="karl webster":2qz87z7w]If i remember right Ben when Gav had the diffs off John they got quite hot.
Gav had all new gears and bearings. The new gears and bearings make some extra heat while running in and I put a fair bit of preload on all the front diff bearings so when they have run in they are still tight, otherwise they go sloppy and weaken the overall set up. IIRC correctly Gav had cryo'd bearings which can stand even more pre-load so they get it :) With used bearings I go a lot easier on the pre-load but they can still run a little warm to begin with because the bearing will sit differently in the race and need running in again but if the diff isn't doing any work I don't think I'd expect it to get as hot as Ben was describing.[/quote:2qz87z7w]

:think:

Fingers crossed its ok then. :pray:

ModelMakerMan said:
OK seriously Ben how did you get the pulleys off the alternators?! Ive tried clamping the pulley in the vice but the shafts just slips inside the pulley, Ive tried almost an exact copy of what the FSM shows with the SSTs using a 22mm box wrench in the vice and a long 10mm socket in the end of the shaft and it just mullered the box wrench!

I cant get either of them off the new or the old alternators even after both the nuts have been sitting in WD40 for 4 days! Seems to be a really stupid design to me! :evil:

Bloody hell Dave i cant believe your having these problems. :shock:

Mine came off without too much trouble at all. :think:

But like i said before, all i did was put them in a vice and undo the nut. :)

Then i had to use a puller on the old alt to get the pulley off. On the new one it just fell of as soon as the nut was off. :)

I think as John has said, try using an impact wrench. :thumbup:

The shaft might not just turn inside the pulley then. :)

Ive tried the heating and WD40 tricks, nearly set fire to the wood blocks Ive been using in the vice! Looks like Ill have to beg/steal/borrow and impact wrench then. :think:

I have one you can borrow.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Been doing lots of little jobs this week, trying to get the truck ready for tomorrows trip to North Wales.

Ive found keeping a note pad and pen in the truck means that when im driving and i notice another little thing that needs doing, i can note it down, then i dont forget. :)

So this week has been spent going through the list doing all the little jobs that ive been putting off.

Heres my list:-

IMG_4213.jpg

Picked up some small, stainless steel, countersunk M4 machine screws.

IMG_4186.jpg

So swapped them with all my steel machine screws on my fold down tables, and applied plenty of thread lock.

IMG_4187.jpg

Next up was doing something about my washer jets which havnt worked properly for 6+ months.

After working out the old washer jets are in 2 pieces, with the one piece acting like a raw plug, with the jet pushing into it, i had them out.

IMG_4192.jpg

The super triple jet hilux jets id bought looked a lot bigger then my standard ones.

IMG_4195.jpg

Being bigger jets, theres no way they would fit the hole.

IMG_4196.jpg

So 20mins work with some needle files.

IMG_4198.jpg

And the hole was big enough.

IMG_4197.jpg

Quick touch up with some paint.

IMG_4200.jpg

And fitted the washer jets in place.

IMG_4201.jpg

WOW what a difference! :shock: :clap: :dance:

IMG_4202.jpg

IMG_4203.jpg

So totally stoked with the new washer jets, definitely one of my favourite mods! :D

The pinion oil seal has been leaking on the front diff for the past few weeks.

IMG_4204.jpg

So prop off and tool in place.

IMG_4205.jpg

Old seal out and compared it with the new one.

IMG_4206.jpg

New seal in.

IMG_4207.jpg

X-ENG handbrake hasnt been working very well lately. :x :thumbdown:

So decided to remove it and re-fit the standard handbrake cable.

IMG_4208.jpg

Needed to fit a new thermostat next.

IMG_4209.jpg

Slightly different to the old one, but same temp stamped on each. :think:

IMG_4210.jpg

My CB radio was playing up before a big trip, so another one was hastily fitted, but as it didnt fit my mount properly it was cable tied in place. That was about 4 months ago. :roll:

IMG_4211.jpg

Sorted that out and fitted a new mic.

IMG_4212.jpg

The armour was looking a little bit battered, no wonder really with some of the trips ive been on lately. :lol:

IMG_4215.jpg

IMG_4216.jpg

IMG_4217.jpg

IMG_4218.jpg

The beauty of having armour painted and not powder coated is its dead easy to touch up when it inevitably gets damaged.

Quick lick of paint.

IMG_4219.jpg

IMG_4220.jpg

IMG_4221.jpg

IMG_4222.jpg

IMG_4223.jpg

Not really sure why i spent 2 hours today cleaning the truck, and then doing painting. As its going to get filthy tomorrow and no doubt scratched. :?

Oh well should look good in the pics. :cool:

Bit of a different trip tomorrow, as its the "lost lanes" trip. So were going to be opening up lanes which havnt been driven for 10-20+ years!

So chainsaws will be essential, as well as lockers and winches! :twisted:

Were also going to be joined by Suzuki Dave who has had second thoughts about retiring from 4x4ing. :dance: :D

Also a chap from the US of A who has never been [strike:1c6jqu6l]laning[/strike:1c6jqu6l] wheeling in the UK before. :)

IISY? :cool:

I can't wait for you to get back and post the report or the pictures.
Take a few cameras just in case. :thumbup:

Gra.
[Sits back and waits] Waiting [/Sits back and waits]

Will do Gra. :thumbup:

Should be 2 blogs of the days events, mine and Suzuki Dave's. ;)

Just need to pour 70 litres of veg in the fuel tank, and stick the chainsaws and hedge trimmer in the boot and im ready to go! :dance:

Ben said:
Will do Gra. :thumbup:

Should be 2 blogs of the days events, mine and Suzuki Dave's. ;)

Just need to pour 70 litres of veg in the fuel tank, and stick the chainsaws and hedge trimmer in the boot and im ready to go! :dance:
I would really like to join you in your truck one day when I am back in UK. ?

Can I be "official gate opener and camera man " ?

Gra.

Youd be most welcome Gra. :thumbup:

You will have to be quick though, im hopeful i might have my visa for OZ before the year is out. :pray:

Otherwise you might have to be "official gate opener and camera man" in OZ! :violin:

The adventures I plan on having over there will make my trips out here look like nothing! :twisted: :dance:

So many amazing places I want to visit! :drool:

Its 4x4 heaven over there! :clap:

Meant to be up at 5AM today as ive got to drive to Wales, but through sheer excitement i woke up an hour early. :lol:

No trip report and pics from todays laning im afraid. Things didnt go how i expected. :thumbdown: :cry:

Oh well.......................... Soon be Lincomb! :dance: :cool:

Also planning an epic trip back to Mid Wales in November! :D

Back