Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

Ben said:
No trip report and pics from todays laning im afraid. Things didnt go how i expected..........
Really :!: :?: You can't leave it at that :!: :naughty: Spill the beans, what happened :?: :)

Well all the lanes we drove had clearly been driven recently. So didnt need the chainsaws or any of the other tools id taken. :thumbdown:

None of the lanes were challenging/extreme, so didnt use lockers or winch at all. I spent 90% of the day in 2 wheel drive :(

I could have driven all the lanes in a standard 4x4 with road tyres fitted. :roll:

So not really what i was expecting. :lol:

But the views were fantastic, and it was nice to meet up with my mates. :thumbup:

That doesn't sound very good :doh:

No sparklers then :?: :)

IMG_1146.jpg

Hi Ben,

Well, not to worry.
Some you win, some you lose.
Just looks like some guys got there before, and trail blazed the lanes.
On the bright side, at least the lanes are now open again.
I understood, if a lane had not been driven for some thing like 5 years, then the farmer ? could apply to have the lane status changed to non-motor vehicles.

I don't know how far I am wrong, just what I remember hearing, or thought I heard.

Gra.

:lol:

No, no sparklers Steven. :p

No disposable BBQ's either. :whistle:

Graham said:
Hi Ben,

Well, not to worry.
Some you win, some you lose.
Just looks like some guys got there before, and trail blazed the lanes.
On the bright side, at least the lanes are now open again.
I understood, if a lane had not been driven for some thing like 5 years, then the farmer ? could apply to have the lane status changed to non-motor vehicles.

I don't know how far I am wrong, just what I remember hearing, or thought I heard.

Gra.

Your right Gra. :)

Planning an extreme laning trip for November now! :twisted: :dance:

Never heard that before. :think:

We did find a few lanes that had had fences put across though. :thumbdown:

Heres Daves blog:-

http://www.bits4vits.co.uk/store/laning ... g_203.html

FINALLY! I got the alternator pulleys off. It took a lot of WD40, a lot of heating up with a blow torch, a lot of swearing and an impact wrench (Cheers Rob :thumbup:) but they eventually came off.

Ill take them to work tomorrow and measure them up and hopefully get it on the lathe tomorrow evening. Ill let you know how it goes Ben.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Great! glad youve got them off Dave. :thumbup:

I look forward to seeing how you get on with making the original pulley fit the new 120AMP alternator. :D

If its not too much work, is there any chance you could stick my old pulley on the lathe aswell? :pray:

Done:
IMAG0243.jpg

Old pulley re-bored to fit new 120amp alternator on left
IMAG0245.jpg

Fitted

It was only about 10mins on the lathe to do. Just need to fit it now and check it all lines up. Do you still want me to do yours Ben?

Ill stop stealing your thread now!

Nice work. ;)

Yes if you can please Dave. :D

Are you coming Lincomb?

maybe i could post it to you, and then collect it from you at Lincomb?

Im a bit closer to finally getting my VISA! :violin:

The Australian Goverment Department of Immigration and Citizenship, have been in touch and said

Congratulations. Based on your Expression of Interest (EOI) submitted in skill select, you are invited to apply for a skilled nominated (subclass 190) (Permanent) Visa under section 46 of the Migration ACT 1958.

Your invitation is valid for 60 days from the date of this letter.

So this means my visa agent can now finalise and submit my application! :icon-biggrin:

So another £3000, and another few months and i might finally have my visa. :pray:

Yeah ok with me. PM sent

Did the pulley arrive Dave? :icon-smile:

Have you started looking into what's involved with shipping and vehicle import? It has taken me months to find a way to apply for a vehicle import certificate because the system is not geared for someone arriving and then going travelling around for a year. To get a vehicle import certificate, I had to get a tax number. To get a tax number when you are not in Aus is a bitc... tricky. I ended up opening a super annuation account to be able to get a tfn, to be able to apply for a vehicle import certificate... We have decided to ship the truck in a sealed container with all our trip gear, and then send the rest in a separate container - not the cheapest way of doing things, but the only way that really works for us.

Have you started looking into what's involved with shipping and vehicle import? It has taken me months to find a way to apply for a vehicle import certificate because the system is not geared for someone arriving and then going travelling around for a year. To get a vehicle import certificate, I had to get a tax number. To get a tax number when you are not in Aus is a bitc... tricky. I ended up opening a super annuation account to be able to get a tfn, to be able to apply for a vehicle import certificate... We have decided to ship the truck in a sealed container with all our trip gear, and then send the rest in a separate container - not the cheapest way of doing things, but the only way that really works for us.

I looked into it a while ago. :icon-wink:

I know its not easy to import vehicles into OZ as the rules are pretty strict. But if youve been granted a visa to permanently emigrate then your allowed to import one vehicle, provided youve owned it for a certain amount of time, and can prove ownership for that amount of time. cant remember whether its a year or 2?

I know importing one for a trip like im guessing your doing is a lot harder, but not impossible.

Theres a very interesting thread on difflock about it, with some one importing a landy, that unsurprisingly broke down catastrophically! the chap then scrapped the vehicle, which i didnt think was possible on a temporary import. He then bought an 80 and moaned that he preferred the landy. :icon-rolleyes:

Just had a quick search and ive found the thread. hopefully ive got the details above correct. it was a year or 2 ago that i read the thread. :confused:

http://forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php?t=33800&start=0

I started my own thread recently on the 4WD action forum to try and work out what im going to have to modify/adjust/change to get my truck on the road over there. :cool:

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135068

​My latest project.....................

I decided on my last laning/wild camping trip that i really need to get the spare out of the truck, as the 37" tyre takes up so much room. :icon-smile:

So after looking at Ryan's excellent build thread, and sending him a quick PM, id tracked down the parts i need. :icon-biggrin:

A quick email to one of my laning buddies Brett, who is always jetting all over the world with work, to find out if he could get it back from the US for me.

Fast forward 2 weeks, and he arranged for a work colleague to buy the part, and bring it over in his suitcase. And today Brett hand delivered it to my door. :clap: :icon-biggrin:

So here it is.

IMG_4298_zps04a1b287.jpg

IMG_4299_zpsa2df263d.jpg

IMG_4300_zps4bceec06.jpg

IMG_4301_zps717811fd.jpg

And here is where it was purchased from:-

http://www.comp4x4.com/Tire-Carrier-Hinge-Kit-Standard-Duty-1-1-4-Spindle.html

The only slight issue ive got involves the position of the spindle.

This isnt an issue on the 80 series, and other models.

80series%20std%20carrier%20apr2011_zpsce3ae3cd.jpg

80seriesupgraded_zpsefc20bb6.jpg

But on a 70 the spindle will cover the rear light/indicator. :icon-sad:

kaymar%20rear%20bumper_zps279d1930.jpg

OK i could add some lights in my bumper like the kaymar one above, but i dont really want to do that. :?

Now ive got the spindle i need to have a look and see if theres anyway of making it work without covering the light.

If not i might see if i can mount it on the vertical face of the bumper, rather than the normal position on the top. :think:

Ive got a load of 50mm box section steel that i acquired ages ago. So the only other bit i need to buy is a latch, and this is the one im thinking of getting:-

http://www.goodhanduk.co.uk/Catalog.../Stainless-Latch-Clamp-Size-900Kg-GH-40341-SS

Any thoughts/opinions/advice please. :icon-wink:

Ben, I went with a spring loaded pin instead of a latch and I can say that I have not regretted that for a second. It's very quick, secure and takes no effort. When you are in and out of the boot all the time I figured a latch would be a PITA. I also did another spring bolt on the open position so it didn't close on me. I did do build thread IIRC. I changed the main bolt at one point as I wanted something a bit bigger. It's an easy thing to make.

Chris

Ben received your Willhi box, working in making the hole a bit bigger for your shaft. ;)

Looking forwardto seeing the spare wheel build ben. Will it be on and sorted for lincomb then?

Have you got the link for the washer jet anywhere to hand please?

Ben, I went with a spring loaded pin instead of a latch and I can say that I have not regretted that for a second. It's very quick, secure and takes no effort. When you are in and out of the boot all the time I figured a latch would be a PITA. I also did another spring bolt on the open position so it didn't close on me. I did do build thread IIRC. I changed the main bolt at one point as I wanted something a bit bigger. It's an easy thing to make.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I will do a quick search and have a read of your build thread. :icon-wink:

I havnt ordered the latch yet, So i could still go with your idea.

Only issue i can see is where do i get one from, seen as i havnt got a lathe? :think:

Ben received your Willhi box, working in making the hole a bit bigger for your shaft. ;)

Dave I really didnt think anything of, putting the pulley in the empty "willhi" temp gauge box. Trust you to notice that! :lol:

Looking forward to seeing the spare wheel build ben. Will it be on and sorted for lincomb then?

Have you got the link for the washer jet anywhere to hand please?

Thanks Karl. :icon-biggrin:

Yes thats the plan mate. So ive got a few weeks to get it built, painted and tested. :icon-cool:

Do you want a link to me fitting the washer jets or a link to where i got them from?

Im guessing a link to where i got them from.

I got them from our friendly parts supplier Simon. :clap:

[email protected]

Warren posted the part number yesterday on his build thread.

85382-60050

Does make a huge difference, im very pleased with mine.
:violin:

Back