Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

No hadnt tried them since fitting, but luckily they fitted right after fully welding. :dance:

Your story reminds me of a similar accident I had a few years ago. :think:

To avoid rear ending a Bentley GT Continental I tried putting my suzuki 4x4 through a hedge, which turned out to have a 2 ft wall the bottom. So I rolled my suzuki and wrote it off..................oh and the bentley driver drove off without stopping. :?

Anyway..............................one of my mates was very kind and said you can borrow my suzuki 4x4 so you can still get to/from work. :clap:

So I was reversing onto my drive one day and rather than using mirrors I was turned round and had the drivers door open slightly looking where I was going, when their was an almighty bang! :shock:

I turned around to see that the door that I thought I was holding open a few inches was wide open and had hit the side wall of the house and bent it very badly back on itself. :doh:

Luckily I was able to get a new door from the scrap yard and replace it without him ever knowing. :icon-biggrin:

It didnt bend the A pillar luckily.

We both seem to have stupid door stories... As a teenager Saturday job, I delivered Corona soft drinks from a Bedford Bantam flatbed (you can look that up on the Internet to see how long ago that was!) and I did the same, reversing hanging out of the door, didn't see the lamp post... I'm not sure how the council found out to was me, probably because I'd jammed two empty pop bottles down each side of the lamp post to stop it falling over. The truck door was corrugated just like a cartoon! They weren't too happy with me back at the depot!

Another cold morning today. :thumbdown:

First job was cleaning the rear side windows and their rubber seals.

P1010037.jpg

Used the pressure washer to blast all the mud out.

P1010038.jpg

Hung the wing up ready for cleaning.

P1010039.jpg

P1010040.jpg

Both cleaned and ready for rust treatment.

P1010041.jpg

I consulted the manual which covers the body, and read how Toyota say to fit the windscreen. They say to use a piece of cord/string and soapy water.

P1010042.jpg

P1010044.jpg

P1010045.jpg

My mate turned up to help me install all the glass. :icon-biggrin:

First job was the windscreen.

Cleaned the rubber seal.

P1010046.jpg

Came to fit it onto the glass and decided it would be better if we soaked it in hot soapy water first, to soften the rubber up a bit and make it more flexible.

P1010047.jpg

We pushed the rubber seal around the glass, then pushed a piece of washing line cord into the groove in the seal. Positioned the glass over the hole, and as I applied pressure to the outside pushing the glass inwards, my mate pulled the cord out and the screen popped in! :dance:

P1010048.jpg

Soapy water sprayed all around the cord and rubber really worked well. :icon-cool:

P1010049.jpg

P1010050.jpg

P1010051.jpg

Put the rubbers for the rear side windows into soak.

P1010052.jpg

Got the front doors fitted.

P1010053.jpg

Decided to try and use my original door on the drivers side, as it has virtually no rust and I wouldnt need to change the lock over.

P1010054.jpg

As suspected the top was a little bent.

P1010055.jpg

P1010056.jpg

P1010057.jpg

Easily managed to tweak it till it was just right.

P1010058.jpg

P1010059.jpg

Slight bit of damage to repair.

P1010060.jpg

P1010061.jpg

So onto the rear side windows.

First job was cleaning the apertures.

P1010063.jpg

Noticed some rust so gave it a spray of rust killer.

P1010064.jpg

Drivers side first.

P1010065.jpg

Same technique as the windscreen, so I pushed on the outside, while my mate pulled the cord on the inside.

P1010066.jpg

P1010067.jpg

I didnt think lowering the roof 2-3mm (which is effectively what weve done, what with the thickness of a cutting disc) would make these side windows quite so tight a fit. :icon-surprised:

P1010068.jpg

I found it helped to push the top seal under the gutter, as my mate pulled the cord.

P1010069.jpg

One done! :dance:

P1010070.jpg

P1010071.jpg

Other side.

P1010072.jpg

P1010073.jpg

P1010074.jpg

P1010075.jpg

With the glass and doors all fitted my mate left and I made a start pressure washing the front end ready for re-assembly.

P1010081.jpg

The intercooler was totally full of Lincomb sand. :thumbdown:

P1010083.jpg

P1010084.jpg

Connected the door electrics up.

P1010088.jpg

Treated all areas of rust on the insides of the wings.

P1010089.jpg

Dinitrol next.

P1010090.jpg

Would be very difficult to effectively coat the inside of the wings with them fitted to the truck, so decided to give them a good coat while their off.

P1010091.jpg

P1010092.jpg

Made sure all the mud/water traps got a good coat.

P1010093.jpg

P1010094.jpg

P1010095.jpg

Really should have done the wings yesterday ready for fitting today. :oops:

Was a bloody messy job to fit them after spraying them full of dinitrol. :icon-rolleyes:

P1010096.jpg

P1010098.jpg

Re-fitted the battery and tray and connected everything up.

Going to sort all the electrics out before I export it, so all the dodgy under bonnet wires and pipes will look a lot neater then.

P1010099.jpg

Grill next.

P1010102.jpg

P1010103.jpg

I then decided to start the truck and let her tick over for a bit.

Climbed in the truck and noticed what I thought was a crack in the middle of the screen. :shock:

Gave it a wipe over and prayed it was just a scratch. :pray:

No such luck, bloody crack right up the middle of the screen. :doh: :cry:

P1010106.jpg

Fitted the bumper next.

P1010109.jpg

Louvre panel next below the screen.

P1010117.jpg

The plan has always been to grind down, fill and sand over the seem of weld. But that can wait a few weeks till the truck is off the road for 7 weeks before being exported.

P1010118.jpg

Crack. :icon-evil:

P1010119.jpg

P1010120.jpg

Fitted the bonnet next.

P1010124.jpg

Needed to bolt the front of the rock sliders back on. I had to unbolt and lower the fronts down in order to access two of the bolts holding the wings on.

P1010126.jpg

These are the bits that go from the roof down to the cab. Wiring loom for sun roof and lights, and drain hoses for the sun roof.

P1010127.jpg

Fitted the wiring loom first.

P1010128.jpg

P1010129.jpg

It was noticed on the donor KZJ70 that the roof came off, and also on my LJ70, that there is a spare electrical connection above the drivers side rear side window.

Im going to investigate as to whather this can be used for an interior light in the rear of the truck. I suspect that is what it is there for, maybe on a different. model. :think:

P1010131.jpg

P1010132.jpg

Sunroof drain hoses next.

I started with the drivers side but couldn't get it to go all the way down to the sill, which is where it goes to. Even using techniques I'd normally use when rodding drains such as twisting/turning whilst pushing and pulling I couldn't get the hose to go down. :doh:

P1010133.jpg

Managed to get the other side down, but only by going through a different hole in the roof.

P1010134.jpg

Backs were dead easy.

P1010135.jpg

The backs connect to the plastic grill on the side of the rear quarter and drain out there.

Tarp down and packed away I moved the truck ready for driving to work tomorrow.

P1010141.jpg

P1010142.jpg

All in all quite a productive weekend, but the cracking of the screen has put a bit of a downer on it for me. :icon-rolleyes:

Not sure if I will replace it before I export it. :think:

Might wait till its in OZ, the truck has got to be worth less with the dents, shit paintwork and cracked screen. :lol:

Lower import tax here I come. :dance:

Still not sure how/why it cracked. :icon-confused:

I have to correct myself a little, it was a Commer Karrier flatbed. Can't put up a link 'cos I'm on the iPad (truth is i don't know how to work it properly)! Must have been around 1969 so the truck was probably from the '50's!

Wow Ben, you sneaked all that in pretty sharpish! What progress, well done! Relieved to see the doors and windows in.

I have to correct myself a little, it was a Commer Karrier flatbed. Can't put up a link 'cos I'm on the iPad (truth is i don't know how to work it properly)! Must have been around 1969 so the truck was probably from the '50's!
One of these?

images.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Another amazing weekend of flat out working, just don't know how you both manage it.

Bummer about the screen though.

Oh well, all things considered, a miraculous turn around from a few weeks ago.

Gra.

That's the chappie! The ones I drove were yellow with the Corona emblem on the doors. Slightly shortened by me by stoving the open edge of the door into the lamp post!
An amazing little truck, the back end used to hop around all over the place when empty, especially in the wet. Fully loaded they were a great workhorse... Thanks for the bit of nostalgia Chas... :?

Blerry 'ell,

Now that's living on memories.

Gra.

Excuse me! Poor Ben's got a broken screen and is (or should be) completely kn***ered, and all I can do is reminisce how old I've become in no time at all since I was Ben's age.
Seems like yesterday... (Gawd, here we go again!)

Back to the thread Ben, what do you think cracked the screen? Obviously it could be a high spot in the seam at the bottom and/or at the top, causing a stress point in the centre.

Or it could be more simply be that the screen caught an accidental knock during storage/rebuild.

It would be a shame to splash out on another screen only for it to happen again. Does the glass overlap the seams with offset grooves in the rubber, or does the glass sit inside the opening with opposing grooves in the rubber?

When I did a similar job on my old cavalier, the back window opening was too big and I had to "pack" the screen groove with some rubber strip to put enough pressure on the rubber to keep it retained on the seam.

(I had a bike inverted on a roof carrier and drove under a car park height limit beam, how embarrassed was I picking up the bits of scrap metal from the car park. You can imagine the dent the saddle made, just in front of the back window. It popped the back screen out and veed the roof down almost to the seat back! Lucky nobody was in the back! Happy days they were, crying all the time!)

Another amazing weekend of flat out working, just don't know how you both manage it.

Bummer about the screen though.

Oh well, all things considered, a miraculous turn around from a few weeks ago.

Gra.

Thanks Gra, I'm pleased with how its looking. :thumbup:

Excuse me! Poor Ben's got a broken screen and is (or should be) completely kn***ered, and all I can do is reminisce how old I've become in no time at all since I was Ben's age.
Seems like yesterday... (Gawd, here we go again!)

Its OK Clive. :icon-smile:

I am knackered but still loads to do, their just isnt enough hours in the day. :thumbdown:

I worry time will pass me by too quickly and that I will end up regretting not doing things. :think:

This move to OZ is pretty scary, but if I wasnt doing it I know I'd look back and regret it and think what if.......................................:icon-cool:

Not sure what caused the screen to crack. :icon-confused:

It definitely wasnt cracked before it went in. I think theirs 3 possible causes:-

-A piece of grit in the rubber seal, pushing against the edge of the glass.

-The seam/lip of the surround had a slighly bent bit that I didnt notice.

-We cracked it when tapping the edges of the screen when getting it to push down tightly into the rubber seal.

Its bloody annoying. :icon-mad

I dont think its an original screen as its got Pilkington embossed on the bottom corner. :think:

Dont really get to see my truck in daylight hours during the week now winter is setting in. :icon-rolleyes:

So its difficult to get any pics of it with its new roof on. But I did manage to get a few when I got to work this morning at 7.30am.

P1010145.jpg

P1010146.jpg

P1010148.jpg

P1010147.jpg

P1010149.jpg

Hoping to get the snorkel fitted tomorrow. :icon-biggrin:

AFAIK you don't need to crack a screen to have it break on you later. Just an unlucky "touch" on the edge of the glass can be enough to trigger a crack if it's under some tension.

I put it down to bad luck and some sleepy eyed heavy handling maybe on installation. Fully understandable under the circumstances!

You won't regret the OZ trip is my bet, one day you'll look back on this thread with a knowing smile on your face. At the pace you live, you'll soon overtake all this nonsense with more bigger and better nonsense of a different sort!

Hat's off to you! The truck's looking great!

AFAIK you don't need to crack a screen to have it break on you later. Just an unlucky "touch" on the edge of the glass can be enough to trigger a crack if it's under some tension.

I put it down to bad luck and some sleepy eyed heavy handling maybe on installation. Fully understandable under the circumstances!

You won't regret the OZ trip is my bet, one day you'll look back on this thread with a knowing smile on your face. At the pace you live, you'll soon overtake all this nonsense with more bigger and better nonsense of a different sort!

Hat's off to you! The truck's looking great!

:shock:

One of the main reasons for moving down under is all the off roading! :dance:

I cant think of a better place on this planet to own a 4x4! :icon-cool:

I could spend the rest of my life just driving off road and still not see everywhere or drive every track, its that vast! :violin:

I think the video below explains my life style..........................

I know thats not why everyone here owns a cruiser, for some its for towing, for some its for going to pay n play's, but for me being able to drive to remote far away places is very appealing. :icon-biggrin:

Last edited:
Pooh Ben - how's your navigation?? That's Southern AFRICA where elephants and Lions live. You seem to have confused it with AUSTRALIA where kangaroos and koala live...

:lol: sorry - just winding you up. Big sky country and sunshine - very appealing. Wear a hat!

What a passionate bloke. Hey Marius, he's not your brother is he?

The ONLY way to get into the booneis? Hmm, couldn't help think that you do that on a horse. Ah well. Someone must have tried it at some point in history. Maybe the inventor of the four wheel drive.

Bonza (lekka) clip Ben. You are going to have a blast. I have a tenner says that they first thing you'll do when you get there (no, after that) is buy a new truck. Ha ha.

C

You had me going for a second then Gary! :lol:

Wish I could Chris but money is going to be really tight. :icon-cry:

If I had the money id buy a 40 as soon as I get there but I doubt I will be able to afford one. :thumbdown:

Dont laugh but I'm looking at buying a Vauxhall Corsa, or Holden Barrina as their called over there. :oops:

Merely as a cheap little car to get me around. With that, a sat nav, and the tools I'm taking with me in my suitcase I should be able to start earning money. :icon-biggrin:

Then I'm hoping after a few weeks work I will have enough for a deposit for a house to rent. :icon-cool:

Don't bother with the Barina (certainly not the Corsa version) as the parts are expensive... or for that matter any of the European's unless you have contacts (I ran a Volvo 850 alongside our 'Cruiser because I know a load of Volvo guys out there due to owning one here). Most of the Euro stuff is OK for town use, but if you're heading rural then you're better off with an Aussie or large Japanese car.

Get a Commonwhore or Foulcan wagon in all honesty; they're dirt cheap and parts can be got at any scrap yard (and the scrap yards are great when you find a good one!) You can just walk around and get the part that you want, none of this going to a counter and being given the part that the staff have murdered off for you.

$2500 Falcon Ute
$1500 Falcon saloon
$1200 Falcon Wagon
$1400 Commode

May need a bit of work, but I reckon they're a better bet than a Barina

If you want to stay with Toyota, what about a Camry?

Thanks for your advice Ed. :thumbup:

All the falcon's and commodores have big engines which is something I dont want. :thumbdown:

A corsa will be much better on fuel, smaller, and for driving round town will be fine. Its only a short term thing, once my truck is on the road I will probably sell it on.

For a few thousand dollars I can get a corsa with Rego and roadworthy. So i can buy it and then just drive it. (rego includes 3rd party insurance). :icon-wink:

Back