Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

Ben, do you think you could take a picture of the mounting brackets for the radius arms on the chassie?
As you may know i have the old suspension, and seeing the newer radius arms makes me think it's not that much work to get them to work on the old supension, assuming the mounting pattern on the axle is the same as the old radius arms...

Hi Victor,

No worries, I'm a bit busy atm cleaning tools and packing boxes, but I will get some pics for you later. :icon-wink:

Just to clarify...........................

Youve got an earlier (pre face lift) 70, which has the shocks out side the springs on the front, and the radious arms dont mount with a bolt through them, but instead have a pin on the end that mounts to a different bracket on the chassis?

I've always thought, that the setup on the earlier 70's would allow for more articulation off road?

With my setup the bushes must start binding when the axle gets to a certain degree of articulation. Where as a pin can in theory turn all the way around? :think:

Actually, the word is the new suspension is more flexible, wether it's because of the McPherson up front, with other springs/shocks, the radius arms or both i dont know, but this is what i've heard..

And you're right with the clarification ;)

Quite a bit of snow in Shropshire today. :icon-cool:

P1020083_zps580acf88.jpg

P1020085_zps939bbee7.jpg

Shame I cant take the cruiser out for a play. :icon-cry:

Anyway...................................

Pics for Victor.

P1020089_zps9cfa2c8a.jpg

P1020090_zps11d799ea.jpg

P1020091_zps17765374.jpg

P1020092_zps864231d4.jpg

P1020093_zps507ac0b0.jpg

P1020094_zpsa002e4a6.jpg

P1020095_zpsd5da252a.jpg

P1020097_zps70df2acf.jpg

Its just occurred to me that you probably need pics of the trailing arm mounts aswell?

The pics above are all of the radius arms (front arms). :think:

Dont worry about th other pics Ben, i just was curious as to how the mounts looked, Seems like this could be fabricated quite easy and adapt the new arms if one wish to..
And judging by the pics the radius arms seems to be a couple of inches shorter on the new sussy vs the old, because i had to reach over the gearbox beam with an extension and socket to be able to undo the bolts...
But for now i'll just be happy with getting new bushes for mine this summer and changing them... Pretty worn out, and with this +3" lift kit i got i need to get some offset ones for the front...

Didn't you get those Ben? And how much would one need for a 3" lift kit? Some say one degree to the inch, and one site i found sold i think it was 7 degrees for 3" lift :?
But i am thinking to go with the 1 on 1 ratio, must be better then worn out stockies :lol:

What +3" lift kit are you running?

Ive only ever seen +2" lift kits advertised for LJ/KZJ70's. :think:

Yes I'm running castor correction bushes.

I'm running the Ironman ones which have actually got 4 different settings depending on how much you want to adjust it by. Cant remember which setting I used, will be pics on this thread some where though. :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Errm, brand of lift kit i am not sure :lol:
I bought it used and this is the third truck it's on so... But the shocks is yellow and springs is black :icon-biggrin:

While packing my workshop up today I came across the damaged front ARB locker.

P1020098_zps6e4c6899.jpg

I intend on going to their head office in Melbourne with the damaged locker. I will explain to them that both the front and rear lockers have been fitted exactly to their instructions and both times the pinion has then hit the ARB locker causing damage. :icon-mad

P1020099_zps5ba410f0.jpg

Will be interesting to see what they say. :think:

The problem I've got at the moment is that I want to open the locker up to check if there is any swarf or lumps of metal inside that need cleaning out.
But I dont know any of the torque settings to put it all back together. :?

I dont think the shocks is OME ben, there's residue on some of them from stickers, and they dont resemble OME stickers, but i cant read them out...
And i do still have the 80 series in the rear to test with as they were maybe an inch longer, and i have to modify one of the 2 i bought since both is for i think it was left side...

Ben, do you think you could take a picture of the mounting brackets for the radius arms on the chassie?
As you may know i have the old suspension, and seeing the newer radius arms makes me think it's not that much work to get them to work on the old supension, assuming the mounting pattern on the axle is the same as the old radius arms...

Victor.

I would be grateful if you would answer a question for me.

Are the front springs on the first model LJ70 (I assume that this is your model), tapered at the bottom?

Cheers.

Roger

Ben.

Do you have the means to accurately measure the depth of the grooves cut into the ARB locker by the pinion shaft? From memory, the minimum clearance required by ARB was 0.0019" and as the grooves appear to be deeper than this, the clearance would need to be a lot more for safety.

Roger

Ben, indeed they are, iirc they are about 120 at the top and 85 at the bottom, inner dimensions. The ones for the newer was not tapered, and guessing about 120 all the way, so no way they would fit the spring bowls...

Could I measure it with a dial gauge?

Thats the only thing I've got. :think:

Ohhhh. Your avatars got me this time Roger :p thought for sure it was Ben up until now, Haha

Could I measure it with a dial gauge?

Thats the only thing I've got. :think:

Yes. You will need to secure the ARB so that it can revolve and then set up the dial gauge so that it can zeroed on to the main body of the unit and then turned until you can measure the deepest part of the gouge. At a pinch, you can place the ARB onto the open jaws of a vice for rotation purposes. This will be accurate enough.

Roger

OK.

Will have to wait a month or so until I'm in OZ now because the dial gauge and vices have been packed away in boxes. :icon-biggrin:

Back