Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

Who'd have thunk it on that day in Wales with LJ on it's roof that the old girl would be doing this adventure, if ever there was an accolade for all the hard work and ingenuity you've done and shown then this is it. Keep the reports coming Ben, fantastic stuff.

Keep an eye on Tony too, hog roast @ Lincomb is at stake. Safe travels to you all, I'm not envious much.

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

We successfully crossed the Simpson Desert and after having a nice dip in the thermal springs at Dallhousie we left the group and drove for 2300k's back to Melbourne.

The rest of the group have still got a few days left but wed had enough of the dust, horrendous flies, searing desert heat and pace. So we've got 6 days in Melbourne before Nelson has to fly home which is nice. :icon-biggrin:

Big night out in the city tonight and Monday were going to Toolangi state forest for the day! :dance:

Will make a start on the update shortly. :icon-wink:

Bravo Ben, it sounds like it was a bit of a trial as well as an exiting challenge.

I must admit, I'd prefer forests to deserts. After some time in the middle-east, I couldn't wait to get back to Romania :lol:

Last Of The Pre-Trip Preperations And Driving To Mount Barker.

OK..............

Last of my pre-trip preparations.

I wanted to rewire my compressor with a thicker longer power cable with an anderson plug on the end.

I couldnt believe how the power cable had been connected.

I removed the prop shafts ready to fit new uni joints.

I bought some rubber to line the big drawer with.

Started packing all the spares in.

Fitted a lot down the sides of the drawer system.

Managed to squeeze a spare of half shafts in.

Cleaned the prop shafts.

Started stripping one of the shafts down.

I marked everything so that it would all go back together the same way as their balanced.

It was an absolute bitch to get apart!

In the end I used the angle grinder.

Cleaned them in petrol.

New uj's.

Realised they had given me the wrong uj's.
ImageProxy.mvc

I had to leave that job for the time being so I carried on putting the interior back together.

I got a hat holder out of the showroom at work and hoped it would fit nicely in LJ to hold my Acubra.

Sadly it didnt have a strong enough spring to hold the weight of the hat. :thumbdown:

I mounted my shovel.

I extended the gas hose on my gas stove and packed it away in the rear door. *(Theres a funny story coming up later regarding this gas stove)

Changed the fuel filter.

Changed the rear brake drums to hopefully fix the brake peddle surging issue. (it did fix it)

Turned out the old drums were badly worn.

Fitted a club sticker on the windscreen.

Took the new uni joints back and swapped them for the right ones.

Got them fitted.

Removing the old uni's on the other prop shaft was just as difficult and I ended up using the grinder again to cut the old ones out!

Done!

Filled them with grease.

Brought 2 space cases home from work that my boss said I could borrow for the trip.

Along with one of our fluro lights out of the showroom.

And the 2 freshly rebuilt prop shafts.

I shut the garage door that night and the following morning which was the day before the trip I discovered I couldnt open the rear doors on LJ. :shock: :? :icon-evil:

What followed was 3 hours of climbing in and out of the car unbolting what I could and trying to force the doors open. Would have been easy had I not got a drawer system and fridge fitted.

I was very close to just cutting the hinges off with the grinder a few times. :oops:

I was very close to cutting the metal loop that the lock engages in but I didnt have enough depth with the 9" grinder even with a new disc.

Once I'd managed to open the doors a little bit I realised what had happened...............

A few days previously I spotted a bolt was missing off the lock on the back door (it had been missing for ages) So I put an M6 bolt in it and thought nothing more of it.

It turns out the bolt was too long and was stopping the lock mechanism from working properly. Hence why after shutting the door I couldnt open it again. :oops:

I couldnt get in to undo the bolt/screw I'd put in despite trying every tool I could think of.

I cut a PH3 screw driver bit in half.

And welded it onto a piece of 1" flat.

I was then able to get the bolt out and doors open!

This is how much too long the bolt was that caused the problem.

The lock mechanism was practically out anyway so I pulled it out to give it a clean and grease.

I carried on loading LJ for the trip.

Fitted the pie oven next that my mate had lent me.

So on Friday morning we left Melbourne for Chris's place in Mount Barker, near Adelaide.

Terrible city traffic!

Fairly early on in the journey it became apparent that after adding 500kg's in the rear of LJ the rear springs which were OME 80 series fronts, were no where near stiff enough to take the weight. :doh:

Chris was great and made some calls and hooked us up with an ARB store on our way who had some springs in stock.

They guys there were really really helpful! They put LJ on the hoist and let us try different springs under her to see which ones would best take the weight. At one point there was one guy on the computer looking up spring rates and sizes, one guy looking in catalogues, one guy checking what springs they had on the shelf and another guy calling his mate to see if he had any. :clap:

In the end we went for Dobinsons super heavy duty 79 series front springs. They would need some adapters making to get the tops to work with my chassis but Chris had already kindly said we could do that at his workshop. :clap:

We arrived at FNB.

And LJ was soon on the hoist.

Chris, Nelson and myself spent about an hour looking through what steel Chris had and discussing the best way to do it. It only needed to survive the trip, once back at work I would knock up something better.

Raiding the scrap pile this is what we came up with.

6mm plate with a piece of 75mm tube welded to it.

3 pieces of 25mm tube welded to the other side to help locate it in place on the chassis.

Nelson and Chris hard at work bolting the first one on.

The Dobinsons spring code.

Ply wood drilled to fit over the lip in the spring mounts on the chassis.

Chris drilling away.

Bolted in place.

So that was the rear springs sorted.

Huge thanks to Chris for all his help and the late night it ended up being the night before the trip. :clap:

One thing that I had over looked was bump stops. :icon-redface:

I must have cocked up my measurements some where as I didnt think I needed any as I was sure the rear springs would be coil bound long before the shocks bottomed out. :doh:

And looking back I think I probably destroyed the rear shocks on the way to Mount Barker, although this wouldn't become apparent until we got 100ks' into the desert from Birdsville. :think:

The reason I mention it now is that I spotted a huge inaccuracy in the uk-oz blog, written by Ian of Mudrut.

In it he states:

The EFS shocks were totally shot, but in addition to replacing them, the mechanics insisted that unless some bump stops were refitted (and extended) that the new shocks wouldn’t last. Getting busy with the welding gear, they fashioned a lovely set and bolted them in place. To be fair to trip supremo, Chris Blakemore, this was exactly the course of action he suggested all the way back in Mount Barker.

http://uk-oz.com/?p=305

Thats complete bull shit, had Chris have mentioned it we would have done some thing about it! :eusa-liar: :icon-rolleyes:

He missed the fact there were no bump stops fitted as did Nelson and I. :doh:

I often make mistakes but I always openly admit when I've made a mistake and try to learn from them. :think:

This mistake cost me a fortune getting new shocks and bump stops made and fitted in Birdsville, but atleast I was able to continue with the trip and successfully cross the Simpson Desert. :icon-biggrin:

The suspension is obviously not standard and was fairly un tested so I'm not surprised that some issues emerged. But I am very pleased to say that after changing the rear springs and shocks we had no other issues and the rest of the trip was trouble free for LJ. :icon-cool:

Which is more than can be said for the 2 80's, black Mav, and the 40 series! But more on those when we get to them. :think:

Anyway...............

The next update will be the official start of the trip and the first few days. :dance:

I've got thousands of pics to sort through, edit, resize and upload. :sleeping-sleep:

So probably going to do the trip report in stages as its too big to do in one go. :thumbup:

Still got another week off work so should have plenty of time to get it all done. :icon-wink:

Last edited:
Ben, not going to get into this too much, but when you got to FNB, Chris went out of his way to help, and searched his workshop for 80 series bump stops, as he did say you ended them. Unfortunately none were available, especially at that time of night.
the discussion was had!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Bravo Ben, it sounds like it was a bit of a trial as well as an exiting challenge.

I must admit, I'd prefer forests to deserts. After some time in the middle-east, I couldn't wait to get back to Romania :lol:

Thanks mate. :thumbup:

Yeah I know what you mean! :think:

It was a great experience and I will take many positives from it! :clap:

But like you I'd rather be out exploring the beautiful High Country than driving across a hot, dusty fly infested desert!

You really cant beat the beauty, colours, sounds, and smells of the forest! Especially with all the rivers and streams that snake through them. :icon-biggrin:

But I'm really glad we did the trip and I wish the rest of the guys and girls a safe and fun final few days. :thumbup:

After next years top secret world record attempt. :shh:

I doubt I will return to the desert! :think:

For me Tassies wild west coast, the High Country and Cape York are where I want to go and explore! :icon-cool:

Ben, not going to get into this too much, but when you got to FNB, Chris went out of his way to help, and searched his workshop for 80 series bump stops, as he did say you ended them. Unfortunately none were available, especially at that time of night.
the discussion was had!

Chris was very helpful, top guy. :thumbup:

We wanted 80 series bump stops to stop the springs falling out as on 80's they fit inside the springs. As we couldnt find any we used 75mm tube. The intention/suggestion was never to use them as bump stops.

It was actually me who suggested 80 series bump stops to Chris as I know they fit inside the springs and would have stopped my springs from falling out.

I'm guessing thats where the confusion and inaccuracy has come from. :think:

All good though mate. :thumbup:

Great pics and write up.
I've been following the blog and looks like it's been an awesome trip. The flies would drive me wild tbh.

It's good LJ hasn't had too many issues and considering it was untested it's done really well.

Ben,I have read the trip report but was disappointed that I couldn't see photos so I really look forward to seeing yours.It must be absolute murder on gear in the desert environment.Cheers Pat

Will make a start on the trip report soon and theres heaps of pics Pat. :icon-wink:

Off to Toolangi State Forest today for a spot of rock crawling! :icon-twisted:

Toolangi Day Drive

I took Nelson to Toolangi today to show him some of my favorite local tracks.

PA060017_zps04ecee1c.jpg

PA060020_zps87b2dae3.jpg

PA060003_zpsc2ccfca0.jpg

The new tyres performed amazingly well on the rocks with them aired down to 25psi. I was driving sections I had to winch on my old worn set of tyres. :icon-biggrin:

PA060002_zpsec269b64.jpg

Great stuff Ben!

LJ is sitting much better than before the suspension mods, good to see it much more stable than it was.

It still needs half a ton of concrete on the front bumper though, on some of those steeper sections! :lol: Love the video...

The tyres look ace, what a difference it makes having "sharp" treads. I had the same problem, plenty of tread left, but rounded blocks from wear making them ineffective.

Well done on the build mate, looking forward to some sandy, fly infested photos next... :icon-rolleyes: :laughing-rolling:

Bfg km2s rock on rock, they are based off of probably the best crawler tyre going the bfg krawler B) when you 3 link the back of your truck you'll love it, it will make a world of difference on the uphill flexy sections, makes the front end much less likely to lift

Bfg km2s rock on rock, they are based off of probably the best crawler tyre going the bfg krawler B) when you 3 link the back of your truck you'll love it, it will make a world of difference on the uphill flexy sections, makes the front end much less likely to lift

I don't do anything like the terrain Ben has a go at, but I love the BFG KM2s for mud and rocks and when the going on grass is a bit soft.

I've had some hairy times on soft grass when contouring on steepish side slopes, these tyres give me much more confidence...:thumbup:

Tyres are awesome, they've really impressed me! :clap:

Cant wait to convert the rear suspension. :icon-twisted:

But sadly it might have to wait a while. :thumbdown:

I need to cut all funding to LJ for a while as need to save up for my Christmas holidays, flying up to the Gold Coast for a week and down to Tassie for another week. Need to buy a top of the range TIG welder over the next few months so I can practice heaps and get my qualifications for the mines. Will have more TAFE fees to pay in January.
Moving house in April then in July I'm coming back to Europe for Nelsons wedding and going back to Ibiza! :icon-cool:

I am planning on geting a heap of jobs done on LJ before then but ones which wont really cost much/anything. :think:

I want to make a new rear adjustable panhard rod and rear spring adapters.

Another little project that I want to do is to build a mesh shelf above the fridge running across the entire rear area. This will take the tent, sleeping bags, pillows, roll mat, and chairs and should work well. :icon-biggrin:

I will be getting the Simpson Desert trip report started soon! Just in the middle of editing the first 600 pics! :icon-wink:

In it he states:

The EFS shocks were totally shot, but in addition to replacing them, the mechanics insisted that unless some bump stops were refitted (and extended) that the new shocks wouldn’t last. Getting busy with the welding gear, they fashioned a lovely set and bolted them in place. To be fair to trip supremo, Chris Blakemore, this was exactly the course of action he suggested all the way back in Mount Barker.

http://uk-oz.com/?p=305

Thats complete bull shit, had Chris have mentioned it we would have done some thing about it! :eusa-liar: :icon-rolleyes:

He missed the fact there were no bump stops fitted as did Nelson and I. :eusa-doh:

I often make mistakes but I always openly admit when I've made a mistake and try to learn from them. :eusa-think:

Chris was very helpful, top guy. :thumbup:

We wanted 80 series bump stops to stop the springs falling out as on 80's they fit inside the springs. As we couldnt find any we used 75mm tube. The intention/suggestion was never to use them as bump stops.

It was actually me who suggested 80 series bump stops to Chris as I know they fit inside the springs and would have stopped my springs from falling out.

I'm guessing thats where the confusion and inaccuracy has come from. :think:

All good though mate. :thumbup:

Ben, I can cop a lot of things on the chin, but being called a liar is not one of them. Your comments and emoticons are nothing short of rude and wrong. Tony did his best to give you the opportunity to correct your notes, but I cannot merely dismiss your incorrect claims.

Firstly I did suggest using 80 series bump stops, and did take some time looking around our workshop for them. I even went out the back searching our scrap bins, perhaps you have forgotten that too. Your metal tube option was the last resort to locate loose springs in the absence of those bump stops. To now suggest this was your idea, when clearly you didn't even think of it prior to leaving Melbourne is outrageous and offensive. I gave you the benefit of the doubt all along, but to now suggest I missed the fact they were absent and did nothing about it shows to me your maturity is well below your age. (I do hope you enjoyed the birthday cake I arranged at Marree by the way).

It also seems you omitted to mention your poor technical understanding of suspension, that is when you have a vehicle sitting flat unloaded that adding 500kg will drop the arse of any 4wd, and you failed to recognize this symptom and deal with it prior to leaving. Your inference at the point in the Simpson that it was the shocks that failed, and not your workmanship is simply blaming someone else. This was further acknowledged by the fact you made it clear that you "don't have $500 to buy new shocks", which as pointed out to you was very poor planning on your part. I assume you will come good with resolving your financial debt to others for your mistakes.
Lastly Ben, aside from making me out to be a liar, it annoys me somewhat that with the combination of poor technical understanding and poor preparation for which you had ample time, you managed to stuff up two days of Simpson Desert travel for the rest of the group with little regard and then nicked off to Melbourne as was always your intention. I will argue this was your intention all along as you had already asked and mentioned this to me prior to leaving, to which I responded was not an appropriate course of action given the remoteness and conditions. Tracey will attest to the fact I mentioned this prior to exiting the desert and I expected you to take off. To then make it back to Melbourne in just over a day is not just foolish but stupid really. If all you wanted to do was race across the desert in order to tick some trophy box then you should have gone with someone else and not bugger up our trip.

I have certainly learnt from this trip Ben, and sadly I can't say I'd be keen to see you here again. I went out of my way for you, prior to the trip with info, products and pricing, and repairs to your vehicle at 9.00pm the night before leaving when I should have been packing my car instead of just my wife. To then find you have the gall to call me a liar is unforgiveable. It added considerable stress to the last days of an otherwise very enjoyable trip.
Best of luck with your legions of fans Ben, and hopefully whatever trip you undertake next provides you with more (life) lessons than just how to set up suspension.
Chris

Back