Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

I went and looked at that one before I bought the one I have now (pics of it a few pages back :icon-wink:)

It had too many issues for me to be able to justify the money he wanted for it.

I'm glad I did turn it down as the one I've got now is heaps better! :dance:

haha, its a small world, great minds think alike! It looked good on the advert, I guess you never know until you check them out. How's the job going? Any better options coming up yet? I think you'd be surprised how effective starting your own home maintenance business can be. Maybe even building some fancy cubby houses for the wealthy folk who want to give their kids an awesome surprise? Any progress with the cruisers? Cheers, Ash.

:thumbup:

Job is going OK but its not for me! Did my final week of training this week and next week I'm being sent out on my own.

The biggest problem is all the other fitters, most of whom are self employed contractors work 10-12 hours everyday. But my salary is based on an 8 hour day, so as thats all I'm payed for thats all I'm prepared to work, especially as its such a low hourly rate/salary.
But I know my managers arnt going to be happy with that and are going to want me to work more hours, especially if I'm going to start breaking bonuses and earning commission. To earn commission I must fit $4000 worth of their products everyday, then I start earning 2% commission on everything I fit after that first $4k. :thumbdown:

I really dont like carrying huge panes of glass through peoples houses! :roll:

The glass is all toughened and just bumping the edges, corners or sitting it on a tiny piece of grit can be enough for the pane to explode!

The mirrors scare me as they can be very dangerous as they stay in big shards of glass when they break and some of the panes I'm carrying in on wardrobe doors are as big as 1.2m x 2.2m! :thumbdown:

Had an interview for another job which I'm really hoping I get as its really good money and a nice steady job with no driving and little stress. The interview went well but they were interviewing over 50 people over 3 days. I will find out next week, so fingers crossed. :pray:

I've thought about starting my own business but I really cant be doing with the hassle of it! I like to come home and switch off, relax and not think about work until I'm there again doing it! :think:

Just working on a little update now showing what I've been up to. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
RJ.

I was keen to salvage the compliance plate from the rocker cover of the blown engine that had been painted black.

IMG_0220_zpspfyjruog.jpg

IMG_0221_zpshaqbv4qq.jpg

T cut worked well.

IMG_0222_zps9ekwajmm.jpg

IMG_0223_zpsitd3t6w1.jpg

That can be stuck onto the top of the new engine.

IMG_0224_zpslgq6pwyv.jpg

I wanted to drain the oil out of the transfercase that I bought cheap. The previous owner had told me that he had driven the truck with no oil in the T-case.

IMG_0246_zpsiq7u00wg.jpg

At first only a tiny bit came out.

IMG_0250_zpsa6w0edj3.jpg

But it kept coming out until a good few litres was in the drain pan. The oil looked pretty good and didnt smell burnt at all.

IMG_0253_zpsn3qgbksp.jpg

IMG_0254_zpsepe268kn.jpg

The magnet on the drain plug had picked up a bit of swarf but not a huge amount.

IMG_0251_zpssfa9r0ie.jpg

IMG_0252_zpsdpzpzdhn.jpg

So I'm now thinking the transfercase might be good after all. :think:

I took the top off the G-box where the stick normally goes.

IMG_0257_zpstysojkqb.jpg

A little bit of rust in there but not too bad really.

IMG_0259_zpsh3cqh01c.jpg

Lexi kept me company.

IMG_0260_zpslgpn5p8j.jpg

IMG_0262_zps0r8qhire.jpg

I re-positioned the G/T-box so I could drain the rest of the G-box oil (a few litres had leaked out while I was bringing it home).

IMG_0274_zpsgy01ij0n.jpg

IMG_0275_zpslpzzvs6y.jpg

IMG_0277_zpsfflwg5zw.jpg

Most of it looked pretty clean but there was about half a litre of water at the bottom with the oil above it.

IMG_0279_zpsbnpvgoh8.jpg

I'm very tempted to fill the boxes up with fresh oil and fit it to LJ so I can test them to make sure they work ok. :think:

Lexi had by this point lost interest and I found her fast asleep in the lounge!

IMG_0291_zpsb0ujq3az.jpg

IMG_0292_zpslpo2dvx8.jpg

I did a bit of work on the body.

Removed one of the arches.

IMG_0280_zpsulub0q1m.jpg

IMG_0281_zpsg7wikw8x.jpg

To inspect and treat any rust.

IMG_0282_zpsmzo9cwqq.jpg

A little bit here.

IMG_0283_zpsf0iefshp.jpg

And some filler in this bottom section of body work, which I knew was there as that was the only place on the body my magnet wouldnt stick to when I inspected the car before buying it.

IMG_0284_zpswoy8y1nq.jpg

There is a section on the drivers sill that has been repaired and needs painting.

IMG_0285_zps2wy0naaf.jpg

Sanded the surface rust off the area on the B pillar where the bit the lock engages with bolts on.

IMG_0286_zpsxz2fivmx.jpg

And a few spots on the back doors.

IMG_0287_zpsxjpp9lni.jpg

IMG_0288_zpsltmirndd.jpg

I rust killed all of those and I want to source some touch up paint in the same shade of blue so I can make it look good again.

In a few years time, before the body goes on LJ I want to get it stripped and re-sprayed. Until then I want to preserve it and have it looking OK for road use and light off road use. :cool:

I spotted a very cheap bullbar on gumtree.

IMG_0293_zpsxgnpqb2t.jpg

IMG_0294_zpsijh8dxmf.jpg

Decided for that price it was worth getting as I should always be able to sell it on if I dont use it.

So yesterday we had a drive out and picked it up.

IMG_0315_zpseumzoa81.jpg

IMG_0316_zpsbwmejgxr.jpg

IMG_0317_zpsel5cgjl5.jpg

IMG_0318_zpshs4fvipd.jpg

I'm not sure I want to put a winch on RJ, so thought rather than keeping the bullbar thats on it, I could buy and fit this new non-winch bullbar instead. :think:

WR450f

I got out on the bike today for a nice ride as I spotted another road the other day leading up the mountain and was keen to see where it came out at the top of the mountain.

Ended up being a lovely 50km round trip. :dance:

IMG_0327_zpsvj7hyxor.jpg

IMG_0328_zpsr8nfepw2.jpg

The views from this side of the mountain over towards the city were stunning.

IMG_0329_zpsmwoncdgx.jpg

IMG_0330_zps64ce6efu.jpg

As were the views from the other side of the mountain looking North.

IMG_0333_zpso2yrpqov.jpg

IMG_0331_zpsrghiecui.jpg

Lexi.

Lexi had another play-date with best friend Chilli.

IMG_0227_zpsmpjjgzv1.jpg

IMG_0228_zpsyg6kgi8h.jpg

IMG_0231_zpscge3hlut.jpg

IMG_0297_zpszunqt0kt.jpg

She destroyed her bedding the other night! :doh:

IMG_0298_zpsvnifx7hw.jpg

And then wouldnt look at us! :lol:

IMG_0299_zpsi7ddyrfe.jpg

IMG_0300_zpslosp3dz3.jpg

It was only a super cheap Kmart one though so it doesnt matter.

IMG_0303_zpskyy2iizl.jpg

Shes also been tunneling under the deck. :thumbdown:

IMG_0272_zpsqk2lmlpw.jpg

IMG_0273_zps0hycfdiy.jpg

As far as puppies go though shes actually really well behaved and hasnt destroyed anything of ours or damaged the house at all yet. :icon-biggrin:

Byron & The Garden.

We went down to Bangalow and Byron last weekend for the day. :icon-cool:

IMG_0238_zpsg4gs4n30.jpg

IMG_0241_zpsbb7txjdi.jpg

IMG_0334%20450%20x%20600_zpsxyoegs5u.jpg

At the hippy market in Bangalow we bought some more of the organic pineapples from the same lady who we got the ones were now growing in the garden from.

IMG_0263_zpswiv1qnjq.jpg

I couldnt bring myself to throw the tops away and had to save them.

IMG_0264_zpswqqzid7c.jpg

So for now their in little pots while I work out where I can plant them.

IMG_0265_zpsko8c3t9j.jpg

Crazy to think that only a few months ago our other ones were this size! :crazy:

IMG_0266_zpseuk7kq8j.jpg

IMG_0268_zpssbqrcpqt.jpg

The capsicums are starting to turn red at last!

IMG_0269_zpsucwawbid.jpg

IMG_0271_zpsdbtdddwv.jpg

IMG_0320_zpsgdllzufb.jpg

IMG_0321_zpsaf5lh09i.jpg

IMG_0322_zpszk9iy3ty.jpg

IMG_0323_zps0gxyxtdv.jpg

Work.

Work have finally given me a van!

Not the new one I was promised, but oh well, atleast I wont have to use my fuel anymore.

IMG_0304_zpsg0rlslcu.jpg

IMG_0305_zpsrrccyqrm.jpg

Pretty empty inside so it can be loaded up with enough mirrors, shower screens, glass kitchen splashbacks and wardrobe sliding doors to last the day.

IMG_0310_zps481jiqcc.jpg

IMG_0311_zps7uxrhjop.jpg

Fish n Chips.

Yesterday on our drive back from Brisbane we stopped off at a "British Fish n Chip shop".

http://www.chumleywarners.com.au/

Australia doesnt really know how to do fish n chips! :doh:

Every fish n chip shop I've ever been to in this amazing country just tips frozen chips out of a bag into the frier, but this place was using proper chunks of potato just how its meant to be!

And they even had proper brown malt vinegar to drown the chips in! :drool:

When ever I've asked for vinegar in fish n chip shops here before I've been met with a blank stare and confusion. :roll:

But not here! :dance:

So for the first time ever in Australia I got to taste real fish n chips and they were amazing! :cool:

IMG_0314_zpsuc6jer8v.jpg

I'm wondering if its because Aussie chippies dont invest in the proper equipment like these guys have. :think:

I Got The Job!!!! :happy-bouncycyan::happy-bouncygreen::happy-bouncymagent::happy-bouncymultic::happy-bouncyred::happy-bouncyyellow:

The last 6 months have been really tough job wise but I think I've finally found a decent job where I'm going to earn the good money that I'm worth!

I start in 3 weeks and its going to be a huge $25K pay rise from the current job and will be the highest paid job I've ever had! :dance:

On top of that I get 4 weeks paid holiday a year, 11 days paid sick leave/carers leave and a fully paid RDO (rostered day off) every month! :icon-biggrin:

Its also just a 10 minute drive from home! :cool:

I will reveal more once its all official and I start, but I'm really looking forward to it! I'm being employed as a Carpenter & Welder so it should have a nice bit of variety. :banana-angel:

I will get an update up over the next few days with some pics of whats been happening on the RJ and Lexi front. :icon-wink:

Well done Ben. No surprises really. Hope it works out for you long term.

Going back to a previous post where someone mentioned starting your own business. Having been pushed that way myself about 25 years ago, I would say you have made a good choice in finding good work for a (hopefully) good company/boss.

Good luck with it Ben. You're worth every cent! :)

Well done Ben on getting the job.
Out of the 50 they planned to interview, you really did well.

Gra.

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

I've just signed the contract for the new job and tomorrow I will hand in my resignation at the current one. :dance:

Theres just 2 months to go until the World Record attempt and I'm really really hoping I can go! :pray:

But I dont know yet if the new company will let me have 7-10 days off after only being there a month. :icon-neutral:

I also need to save up some money for new, stiffer rear springs for LJ and I want to get the aircon install finished. :think:

https://www.facebook.com/aussieoutbacksolarchallenge/?ref=br_rs#

Ben,

I wouldn't even think of asking for 7 to 10 days off.

Just get on with the job, keep your head down, and show them what your capable of.

You know it makes sense.
You have had so many crappy, and by that I mean unrewarding jobs, you would be a fool to make any waves just as you get this far better job than any of the others you have had.

Gra.

Reactions: Pat
Just catching up on your thread now having had no internet for past two weeks:fearscream:. Congrats on getting the job!!

This is great news on the new job Ben. Congrats. :clap:

When you applied Ben, were there any questions about your availability? If not then I wouldn't worry about asking, those arrangements were in place when you applied.

If they did ask about your availability, but you didn't raise the issue, then likely they will say no.

Gra's advice is the safest, but as long as you don't mind them saying no, asking shouldn't hurt, if you explain the circumstances.

We're hiring all the time (maybe 1 or 2 a week) and 9 times out of 10 I get the job of interviewing :icon-rolleyes: It's a PITA but we always honor prior arrangements made by candidates.

We wouldn't approve annual leave though until it's earned. Something like a day and a half leave days for every month worked.

Thanks guys. :thumup:

All good advice. :icon-smile:

I'm not going to say anything in the first week, unless they ask me if I have anything planned/booked. :think:

Handed in my resignation at the glazing job today. :dance:

Just working on a thread update. :icon-wink:

Hope the new job works out well
sounds like a much more varied job

RJ.

The winch that came with the RJ70 project is a Superwinch X9 with Toyota genuine stickers on it.

I didnt know much about these winches so I did some research....................

On the Superwinch website it says:

They don't build them like they used to." The thing is, Superwinch is still building the X9 and S9000 exactly as we used to, in fact that's the reason so many love these two winches. Toyota even offers the X9 as an option in Australia; that's how tough and well-built these winches really are.
The Superwinch X9 is the original equipment/genuine winch in Australia for the Toyota HiLux, LandCruiser 70, LandCruiser 200 and the Prado for over 10-years.
:think:

So it must be a pretty good winch, I really like the fact its built in America and not China like the majority of winches. :clap:

As I needed something to do, I decided to rebuild the winch. :shifty:

Got it on the bench.

IMG_0367_zpsj3tqtmfl.jpg

It came apart really easily.

IMG_0368_zpssrjkiiw4.jpg

I had to bring the parts outside to clean them in petrol to save stinking the house out.

The trailer made a good work bench.

IMG_0369_zpspxcft9re.jpg

IMG_0370_zpsrdxajlew.jpg

IMG_0371_zpsrltfiqoa.jpg

These are all the gearbox parts.

IMG_0372_zps9j51q1ah.jpg

Inside these cogs were needle roller bearings that were completely seized. :doh:

IMG_0373_zpsrrqqg1ur.jpg

IMG_0374_zpsuacb3wsn.jpg

They came out easy enough in the vice using 2 sockets.

IMG_0375_zpsllhuvebu.jpg

IMG_0376_zpsrampnm54.jpg

Got them all out.

IMG_0378_zpsfwymsvmn.jpg

IMG_0379_zpsiy7mayrp.jpg

Finding replacement ones proved tricky. :thumbdown:

Superwinch in the USA sell them and that was the only place online I could find them.

IMG_0377_zpszdufr79j.jpg

I carried on stripping and cleaning the winch.

I gave the winch drum a clean up and fresh spray of paint.

IMG_0380_zpsttovwj5l.jpg

Stripped the motor down next.

IMG_0381_zpsxjtnmt7l.jpg

Cleaned and painted the end cap of the motor.

IMG_0383_zpssf9diwfk.jpg

The genuine stickers had to go.

IMG_0394_zpsgs7ism61.jpg

With all the motor parts cleaned I could re-assemble it all.

IMG_0395_zpshyxhiu3b.jpg

IMG_0396_zpsvkfffcgr.jpg

I used a smear of silicon to hopefully make it water tight.

IMG_0397_zpsdlpwqkao.jpg

I left it clamped together overnight while the silcion dried.

IMG_0398_zpsyhkw8cui.jpg

Carried on bolting it all back together.

IMG_0402_zpsnagrjfpr.jpg

IMG_0403_zps6tyykptv.jpg

IMG_0404_zpse1uvycjy.jpg

That was as far as I could go without the new bearings.

IMG_0405_zpskw76sln7.jpg

I bolted the empty gearbox case on so I could finish the alternations to the bullbar to make it fit.

IMG_0421_zpsuoij5v9k.jpg

I picked up a fairlead and dug out my spare winch rope.

IMG_0422_zps0rrbhbab.jpg

The previous owner had started modifying the non winch bullbar to fit this winch but hadnt finished it.

IMG_0423_zpsnpuafhab.jpg

IMG_0424_zps4oa2zb28.jpg

Bullbar off.

IMG_0428_zpsevt4b62k.jpg

And on to some saw horses for modifying.

IMG_0429_zps0cm6jwvp.jpg

First job was to position the winch and work out where the cut out needed to be for the free spool lever.

IMG_0430_zpsydxd9tlp.jpg

Marked, center punched, pilot drilled and put 2 holes in with a 60mm hole saw.

IMG_0433_zpssufnnrep.jpg

IMG_0434_zpsro9gev0a.jpg

I opened those holes up with the angle grinder and die grinder.

IMG_0435_zpsilyhv3pl.jpg

Winch back in place for more checking. The cut out for the freespool lever was in the perfect position.

IMG_0437_zpstojm1vzl.jpg

And the opening to view the winch drum was also good.

IMG_0438_zpsxfi4k6lg.jpg

Next I needed to cut out for the fairlead.

IMG_0439_zpsv6huei60.jpg

IMG_0440_zpslzhnzktf.jpg

The previous owner had made a start using a magdrill.

IMG_0441_zpst9pqgomj.jpg

IMG_0442_zpsznfofqc4.jpg

I didnt want to go quite as high as the previous owner had wanted to as I've seen fairleads snap in 2 if their not properly supported behind them if you cut too much out.

IMG_0443_zpshh4tuhpu.jpg

IMG_0444_zpsjxoucmsl.jpg

Opened them up with the grinders.

IMG_0445_zpsahctpc6k.jpg

IMG_0447_zpsjwguz8gz.jpg

IMG_0449_zpswew3mono.jpg

I decided to cut off some of the aerial and light tabs as I dont need that many tabs.

IMG_0460_zpslm2bmzef.jpg

IMG_0461_zps238ykofl.jpg

IMG_0462_zpsusfr1agd.jpg

IMG_0463_zps1k7ipreh.jpg

Bolted the bar back on.

IMG_0465_zpsev8cpw4v.jpg

IMG_0466_zpsjeeywocr.jpg

Looks better without all the tabs.

IMG_0467_zps2lrnzumr.jpg

Decided to keep the very middle ones for now, but they probably will end up going.

IMG_0468_zpsfwlo4led.jpg

My plan is to get the bullbar shot blast and powdercoated, but I want to get the new engine fitted first, so the powdercoating will have to wait for now. :cool:

I ordered some bearings for the winch from a local bearing shop and picked them up today.

IMG_0482_zpsw2igam7v.jpg

IMG_0484_zpspe8doq4d.jpg

I pressed the new bearings in.

IMG_0485_zpsu9znrals.jpg

Packed the new bearings and cogs with marine grease.

IMG_0486_zpsnnvf5ifd.jpg

IMG_0487_zpsifhumro0.jpg

Thread-locked the bolts holding the end cap on.

IMG_0489_zpsfhgvlfvu.jpg

Re-assembled it all.

IMG_0490_zpshqdqx4ps.jpg

IMG_0491_zpsfak277qu.jpg

Just one more part to drop in and its done.

IMG_0492_zpsobnf2whg.jpg

Applied a smear of silicon to the mating faces and bolted the gearbox on.

IMG_0493_zpspfezuazi.jpg

IMG_0494_zpsnczixlda.jpg

So the winch is now ready to be bolted into the bullbar after its been powdercoated.

Lexi.

Lexi has continued to destroy her expensive $10 Kamart beding. :shifty:

IMG_0346_zpsub8hlifi.jpg

IMG_0348_zpscnlf2vfc.jpg

IMG_0356_zpsrprein5f.jpg

She also wrestled another palm in through the dog flap! :lol:

IMG_0353_zpso0ufhfk9.jpg

We took her on another playdate with best friend Chilli, in torrential rain!

IMG_0406_zpsfdnbodww.jpg

IMG_0408_zpsza3zid1f.jpg

IMG_0409_zpsfzr5qzwc.jpg

IMG_0410_zpsk8zpxmsa.jpg

IMG_0411_zpsqprm1kws.jpg

IMG_0415_zpsvgvmfsz0.jpg

IMG_0416_zpsz706qjy3.jpg

She was exhausted after all that running around and slept the whole way back.

IMG_0419_zpsrur59fcr.jpg

Then continued sleeping when she got home! :sleeping-sleep:

IMG_0418_zpsnhwjqbif.jpg

She does this cute one ear thing where she just raises her left ear!
:hearteyes:

You can just make out her tattoo in her ear, which vets do so people can easily identify dogs that have been de-sexed.

IMG_0476_zpsncdiyfdy.jpg IMG_0367_zpssgl4e6xo.jpg IMG_0368_zpsi7x0ejm1.jpg

Last edited:
Just catching up with this Ben and i would make it common knowledge at the earliest opportunity that your new job will likely prevent you from from taking part in a world record attempt . As a new employee your walking on eggshells but word of mouth is a powerful thing and once the gossip is let loose hopefully someone with far more clout than you will raise the subject with the boss .

Hope the new job works out well
sounds like a much more varied job

Thanks mate. :thumbup:

Just catching up with this Ben and i would make it common knowledge at the earliest opportunity that your new job will likely prevent you from from taking part in a world record attempt . As a new employee your walking on eggshells but word of mouth is a powerful thing and once the gossip is let loose hopefully someone with far more clout than you will raise the subject with the boss .

Thats an interesting idea Shayne, I wouldnt have thought of that approach. :thumbup:

I'm keen to go on the trip, but if they wont let me have the time off, it will atleast mean I can save some more money for the wedding which is now only 5 months away! :think:

Due to the last 6 months being so shit on the job front were not where we thought we would be financially. :thumbdown:

But I have increased the fleet with the second LC and dirtbike, so not all bad. :shifty:

I'm not convinced that Shayne's approach will endear you to the management - it might make you come across as a whinging Pom, happy to "bitch" and gripe behind the bosses back, but not enough balls to stand up to the boss and say what's going on. It may also make you prone to be afflicted by Tall Poppy Syndrome from the others and may make life more difficult for you in the future. I know at the moment I've got a challenge at work with how my role transitions from being a casual paperwork shit kicker to organising the established staff...

Personally I see there's two options:
1) I'd just suck it up and stay up in QLD and admit that things have conspired to stop you being able to attend the challenge - there is a part in my mind that revisiting somewhere you used to work is an odd sensation, and although I've (nearly) always left on good terms, I've rarely gone back to somewhere I used to work for other bits (unless the pay was very good...)
2) Work out how having the time off would add value to your employment with the new employer; what would the time off (even unpaid) bring them and how would it benefit them in the long term?

Did you mention the original attempt in your resume/CV? If so that makes it easier to broach option 2 above.

Good luck with the new job!

Reactions: Pat
Back