Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 solid 12.5mm front discs to vented 20mm?

Si LJ70

Country Flag
great_britain
Is it possible to change LJ70 solid 12.5mm front discs to vented 20mm? I ask because I am finding it difficult to find a replacement for a broken solid disc caliper for my 89 LJ. Whereas 1990 calipers are readily available (cheaper).

Cheers

The vented discs fit but you wouldn't be able to use the 12.5mm front calipers.

The best upgrade to go with the vented are the 90 series front calipers also available on surf, hilux upto mk5 but not the early hiluxes. Kzj 70 also better brakes fitted.

Or 78 series brakes, I have both front and rear 78 axles on my 70 which gives me front vented discs and rear disc brakes with the added bonus of a rear e locker .
Thinking the older lj (round lamp) have slightly different axles spring/shocker location etc so 78 ones may not fit

OK thanks for the answers. Will see if I can unseize the piston first. Then might do the upgrade.

If you have one or all pistons badly siezed and they wont budge with compressed air, or you don't have compressed air. A grease gun with the grease nozzle removed, normally fits when you take out the bleed nipple i.e. its the same size thread. make sure you stop the moving pistons from coming out fully. It is also messy but a grease gun can pump a lot of pressure. Wear goggles.

Graeme

I managed to twist the cylinder out with Moll grips. Very corroded. Ordered a repair kit which includes all 4 cylinders. Coming from Lithuania. Hopefully fits

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back