Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ78 auto to manual conversion

ardugpc

I'm looking to change my LJ78 from auto to manual. Interested to know if the LJ70 manual box will be a straight fit without adjusting to much especially with front and rear propshafts.

Thank you for the input.

You will need the bell housing off the donor vehicle and possibly a mount or two but other than that it should be a fairly straight swap. The part that would scare me the most is doing the right things to the right wires in the loom in order to placate the ecu :? but it might be simple for all I know.

Jim.

Are the gearboxes the same length? If not then you may need different length props. Also check the output ratios on the boxes as you may need to re gear the diffs to compensate for the change.

i did that swap last year ... there is a thread on mud somewhere.
i believe the cross member, shafts, floor pan center piece, pedal assembly, etc etc needed modifications.

you could look it up if you want ... look up PZ+T+IC into a 1992 LJ78 and it should pop up. i used a R141 which is identical length to the R151 ...

Thanx for the feedback, I'll do some more homework. I saw a manual box and transfer box for £275 and £30 for brake and clutch pedal.

My autobox have a bit of a lazy changeover from 3rd to overdrive. Thought if a replacement is due at some point, I might as well look at manual conversion option.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Some thing tells me that this could turn out to be one of the jobs that should never have been attempted.

I have heard first hand from a friend of mine who did the swap from Auto to manual in a 1996 80 series auto.

He said the electrics were the very difficult bit, but fitting in the different cross members and mechanical stuff was just slightly difficult.

If it were me, then I would sort the current auto box out, or just sell and buy a manual, if you so wanted.

Gra.

Thanx Graham, but I think chicken teeth is more available than a manual LJ78:grin:. Only seen one so far for sale in the UK. It is just an idea that I thought was worth exploring.

Have decided to attempt this if/when my current box gives up. Want to do a bit more homework on the conversion.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

I am impressed that there is such a place as Wigtownshire....

Bargain price so far though, £777.00

i did that swap last year ... there is a thread on mud somewhere.
i believe the cross member, shafts, floor pan center piece, pedal assembly, etc etc needed modifications.

you could look it up if you want ... look up PZ+T+IC into a 1992 LJ78 and it should pop up. i used a R141 which is identical length to the R151 ...

Hi Crushers,

Been trawling the net trying to find info on converting my LJ78 to manual. I saw this post and checked out mud as you suggested but no joy. Possibly I'm being lame but anything you can suggest to help me find it?

Thanks,
Ben

Hi Crushers,

Been trawling the net trying to find info on converting my LJ78 to manual. I saw this post and checked out mud as you suggested but no joy. Possibly I'm being lame but anything you can suggest to help me find it?

Thanks,
Ben

Nice to see you on the Better cruiser forum Ben. :icon-wink:

Hopefully Wayne will be able to help you with your search. :thumbup:

Back