Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ78 Build Thread

Jiri definitely wants mud tyres I think! :icon-twisted:

It wasnt an issue on our Easter High Country trip as the tracks were dry, but now were getting towards Winter the tracks are all very muddy!

If his tyres had been a bit bigger he would have probably been OK, it wasnt so much traction he lacked, as ground clearance.

He kept scraping his diff in deep ruts and getting hung up. :thumbdown:
As Ed said, although it has to be the right ham, the right cheese and the right tomato sauce! :shifty:

We take Parmie's very seriously in our family and will travel many miles for a good one! :lol:

It wasnt an issue on our Easter High Country trip as the tracks were dry, but now were getting towards Winter the tracks are all very muddy!

If his tyres had been a bit bigger he would have probably been OK, it wasnt so much traction he lacked, as ground clearance.

As Ed said, although it has to be the right ham, the right cheese and the right tomato sauce! :shifty:

We take Parmie's very seriously in our family and will travel many miles for a good one! :lol:

Ben is correct MT tyres wouldn't help I think. I need to get bigger tyres. Every times I was stucked I was sitting on diffs.

Anyway Ben great you have both lockers working. :)

I was keen to buy a chainsaw before another camping trip and was all set to buy a mid range Stihl. :icon-cool:

I spoke to my boss as I know he has about 7 or 8 Stihl saws and he asked what I would be using it for and then how I would be transporting it.

He then told me that both Stihl and Husqvarna make great saws but the Husky's tend to leak less so are a better choice if being carried inside a vehicle.

He showed me his 80 series and 200 series both of which are equipped with Husky saws. :icon-biggrin:

So on Friday I went and bought a Husqvarna saw which had been made in Sweden and a Fiskars axe which had been made in Finland. :dance:

IMG_8384.jpg

They will both live in The 78 and will no doubt be extremely useful on my High Country trips from clearing fallen trees blocking tracks to cutting firewood at camp. :icon-twisted:

I also picked up some proper drinking water hose for filling my water tank in The 78, as using normal garden hose isnt recommended as it can taint the water.

IMG_8385.jpg

I then packed the car.

IMG_8387.jpg

And seen as I dont have a roof rack fitted currently (wont fit under the car port with it on) I also loaded the trailer.

IMG_8388.jpg

Then 2.5 hours later and we were at Big River State Forest. :flags-australia:

IMG_8390.jpg

Very disappointing to see a sign welcoming people to camp in the forest vandalized with spray paint. :angry-screaming:

IMG_8391.jpg

After driving around and looking at 7 camp sites we settled on one called Gang Gang Gully. and the tent was soon up.

Sadly there was some rubbish at the site, such as an old gazebo. :thumbdown:

IMG_8392.jpg

IMG_8393.jpg

With light fading fast and the tent now up and trailer emptied, I needed to get some wood and get a fire going so we could cook dinner.

IMG_8394.jpg

It was now also raining. :thumbdown:

IMG_8395.jpg

I drove a bit further up the track leading to the camp site and spotted a big tree at the side that looked perfect.

IMG_8396.jpg

IMG_8397.jpg

The new saw made easy work of lopping some bits off the end. :icon-cool:

IMG_8398.jpg

As did the axe splitting it all up.

IMG_8399.jpg

I loaded the trailer up and drove back to camp feeling rather pleased with myself and the fire wood I had collected!

IMG_8400.jpg

I stopped on the way to hang a blue cloth on the sign on the end of the camp site access track so that Jiri and Aneta who were due the next day would know where to find us.

IMG_8401.jpg

I got back to camp and for the next hour I struggled to get a decent fire going like never before! :icon-redface:

The wood turned out to be too wet to burn, even after having the MAP gas blow torch on it for 10 minutes and even 3 litres of petrol wouldnt get it to burn properly! :icon-mad

Eventually I drove back out and managed to find some smaller sections of wood at the side of the track that proved to be drier and we soon had a roaring fire. :shifty:

IMG_8402.jpg

A few hours later than planned I could finally cook us some burgers for dinner.

IMG_8403.jpg

IMG_8404.jpg

IMG_8405.jpg

The next morning the fire was soon lit again with some of the new drier wood and the kettle was boiling. :icon-cool:

I was also busy drying some of the damp wood around the fire.

IMG_8407.jpg

Few pics of our setup.

IMG_8413.jpg

A beautiful section of the river just behind our camp. :clap:

IMG_8415.jpg

IMG_8416.jpg

IMG_8417.jpg

As we would be at camp by ourselves all day (Saturday) I set the solar panel up to keep the batteries topped up while the fridge would be busy keeping me topped up with cold drinks.

IMG_8421.jpg

The damp fire wood was out of the trailer by this point and stacked up.

IMG_8422.jpg

And Lexy was having a great time running around.

IMG_8423.jpg

Although she also hung out with Sam a lot as they are best friends already.

IMG_8435.jpg

IMG_8431.jpg

IMG_8432.jpg

The Oz Tent RV5 was just about big enough for a double stretcher bed, travel cot and Lexy's bed.

IMG_8438.jpg

IMG_8439.jpg

IMG_8440.jpg

I cooked breakfast, as always.........sausage, egg and melted cheese on a toasted brioche bun! :drool:

IMG_8441.jpg

IMG_8442.jpg

IMG_8444.jpg

Washed down with a litre of tea! :icon-biggrin:

IMG_8445.jpg

I managed to find more dryish wood and cut that up so we could keep the fire going all day while the damp wood dried out.

IMG_8446.jpg

Drying the damp wood around/over the fire worked really well!

IMG_8448.jpg

IMG_8451.jpg

IMG_8452.jpg

Meanwhile Sam had a play on the mat.

IMG_8453.jpg

And Lexy had a swim.

IMG_8456.jpg

IMG_8457.jpg

Followed by a roll in the dirt! :icon-rolleyes:

IMG_8459.jpg

The wood was drying beautifully!

IMG_8460.jpg

IMG_8461.jpg

IMG_8462.jpg

Last edited:
Lexi was exhausted and took herself off to a bush for a sleep.

IMG_8463.jpg

IMG_8466.jpg

IMG_8470.jpg

IMG_8472.jpg

IMG_8473.jpg

Sam went to bed at 6pm like he does every night and I cooked dinner.

A kilo of lamb meat!

IMG_8478.jpg

And veggies.

IMG_8479.jpg

IMG_8480.jpg

IMG_8488.jpg

It was yummy! :clap:

The only thing missing was gravy.

IMG_8489.jpg

Jiri and Aneta arrived later that evening and we all sat round the fire and had a few drinks.

The next morning the fire was soon going.

IMG_8490.jpg

IMG_8491.jpg

And breakfast was soon served!

IMG_8493.jpg

Then it was time for Jiri, Aneta and I to go drive some 4wd tracks! :dance:

IMG_8495.jpg

IMG_8496.jpg

IMG_8497.jpg

IMG_8498.jpg

IMG_8500.jpg

IMG_8501.jpg

IMG_8503.jpg

IMG_8504.jpg

We climbed quite high until we were above the cloud in the valley below us.

IMG_8506.jpg

IMG_8507.jpg

IMG_8512.jpg

IMG_8516.jpg

IMG_8521.jpg

The cloud and mist cleared to reveal a magnificent day! :icon-cool:

IMG_8529.jpg

IMG_8532.jpg

IMG_8533.jpg

IMG_8534.jpg
IMG_8537.jpg

We drove past a really steep hill climb that we decided to have a go at.

*pics dont do it justice.

IMG_8539.jpg

I managed to get up OK but Aneta was struggling with the all terrain tyres struggling for traction on the steep, slippery hill.

So I turned around and headed down.

IMG_8540.jpg

Jiri reversed it back down and we continued on our way.

Some amazing High Country views.

IMG_8541.jpg

The darker sections are shadows from the clouds.

IMG_8542.jpg

We drove a few more tracks and then headed back to camp.

In the late afternoon we packed up and headed for home. :icon-biggrin:

It was a good trip despite the fire/wet wood issue on the Friday night, but I would have liked to have driven more tracks, so next time we will pick a weekend where Jiri doesnt have to work Saturday so we can get out for 2 days of driving. :think:

Fabulous Ben!

All the work that went into the build is now paying off, as you intended.

Husky’s are good and so are Fiskars products. I’ve had an axe identical to yours for 12 years and it gets abused, but its still sharp. The handle is very tough and wont come away from the head like a cheaper traditional axe might.

I like the box the saw fits into :thumbup:

I can’t wait till Sam is running about, seeing what trouble he gets himself into :lol:

Great trip and camp setup

One of my 3 huskys sometimes leaks chain oil, but I read a tip recently to opens and close the oil filler cap after using it, and this supposedly releases pressure and limits the leak, will try it out

Reactions: Ben
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Great photos,Ben.doesLexie come and clean Sam’s face after meals.Our golden
Lab used to keep our kids spotless.interested in your chainsaw,we have always had Sthils but about 10 years ago I bought my darling wife a top handle
Oleo-Mac made in Italy and it is the first saw I pick up wheni’ve got trees to cut.we have a heap of recovery work to do after our last big storm but we’ll do it.did Becs enjoy herselfon the trip,YOU ARE LIVING THE GOOD LIFE.

I think this little chap (can't call it a fella) would also make a good addition to the onboard kit you have Ben.

Just about all the range of Friskars stuff is good high quality at an affordable price, it's very resistant to damage and hard work...

Ben I’m even sharing your trips with my wife:) now, not sure if I’m subconsciously grooming her for a different lifestyle. ;)

I need to learn to change brake pads first HA

What's this rain you speak of?

We keep an eye out on firewood from about 5km out of camp, but also know where a lot of the felled piles are in our local state forest that have been lying for about 2 years...

Looks good as a set up, we just take our Stihl with us.

With the firelighting, make sure you have some diesel as well as some petrol - use the petrol to start the diesel and you get a safer burn.

You should be ashamed of yourelf for even considering a Stihl... But congrats on seeing the light an getting a Husky! They are great machines!

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

Forgot to say, thats was Sams first ever camping trip! :dance:

Hes 6 months old now so its about time he started! :icon-cool:

Next trip is next weekend, doing another day drive at Toolangi and judging by the amount of rain we've been having this week I think the diff locks and winch will be getting a lot of use! :icon-twisted:

Fabulous Ben!

All the work that went into the build is now paying off, as you intended.

Husky’s are good and so are Fiskars products. I’ve had an axe identical to yours for 12 years and it gets abused, but its still sharp. The handle is very tough and wont come away from the head like a cheaper traditional axe might.

I like the box the saw fits into :thumbup:

I can’t wait till Sam is running about, seeing what trouble he gets himself into :lol:

Thanks mate. :thumbup:

I was a little apprehensive about the Fiskar axe due to how the head is mounted but they feel like a good quality bit of kit and the 25 year guarantee fills me with some confidence. :shifty:

Great trip and camp setup

One of my 3 huskys sometimes leaks chain oil, but I read a tip recently to opens and close the oil filler cap after using it, and this supposedly releases pressure and limits the leak, will try it out

Thats a good tip, I will have to try that! :clap:

I can see a well documented offroad trailer taking shape there.....:)

Yeah maybe one day if/when the family grows to 3 kids. :shifty:

Just for the ease and quickness of setting up more than anything! :think:

I would probably buy one though, just because we are so spoilt for choice down here for camper trailers! :flags-australia:

Great photos,Ben.doesLexie come and clean Sam’s face after meals.Our golden
Lab used to keep our kids spotless.interested in your chainsaw,we have always had Sthils but about 10 years ago I bought my darling wife a top handle
Oleo-Mac made in Italy and it is the first saw I pick up wheni’ve got trees to cut.we have a heap of recovery work to do after our last big storm but we’ll do it.did Becs enjoy herselfon the trip,YOU ARE LIVING THE GOOD LIFE.

Thanks Pat. :thumbup:

Shes not a very licky dog and very rarely licks any of us.

But she has developed quite a taste for baby milk! Both formula and breast! :icon-razz:

So when ever Sam decides to throw up after a feed, shes always there to clean up the carpet/couch! :puke-front:

Ben I’m even sharing your trips with my wife now, not sure if I’m subconsciously grooming her for a different lifestyle. ;)

I need to learn to change brake pads first HA

:lol:

I think you need to choose Australia to emigrate to Brett, not the US! ;)

What's this rain you speak of?

We keep an eye out on firewood from about 5km out of camp, but also know where a lot of the felled piles are in our local state forest that have been lying for about 2 years...

Looks good as a set up, we just take our Stihl with us.

With the firelighting, make sure you have some diesel as well as some petrol - use the petrol to start the diesel and you get a safer burn.

:lol:

Yeah having good wood for the fire when camping is a must! Especially when its wet and cold!

I've never needed more than my trusty blow torch and some paper/card board and sticks to get a fire going. But that trip I really struggled!

I only used petrol as I had it for the chainsaw. :icon-twisted:

You should be ashamed of yourelf for even considering a Stihl... But congrats on seeing the light an getting a Husky! They are great machines!

:laughing-rolling:

They both make great saws! :shifty:

But I do love my Husky! :happy-cheerleaderk:

my Stihl 020T from far away in another century; but still going strong!

View attachment 144205

Nice! :thumbup:

Both make a of saw are great. Currently I use both a small husky which does run on any fuel you chuck at it. I have a bigger stihl that is fusy on the age of fuel used. Both have a time and place.

Love to see the pics Ben

How is father hood going for you?

Lexi was exhausted and took herself off to a bush for a sleep.

View attachment 144147

View attachment 144148

View attachment 144149

View attachment 144150

View attachment 144151

Sam went to bed at 6pm like he does every night and I cooked dinner.

A kilo of lamb meat!

View attachment 144152

And veggies.

View attachment 144153

View attachment 144154

View attachment 144155

It was yummy! :clap:

The only thing missing was gravy.

View attachment 144156

Jiri and Aneta arrived later that evening and we all sat round the fire and had a few drinks.

The next morning the fire was soon going.

View attachment 144157

View attachment 144158

And breakfast was soon served!

View attachment 144159

Then it was time for Jiri, Aneta and I to go drive some 4wd tracks! :dance:

View attachment 144160

View attachment 144161

View attachment 144162

View attachment 144163

View attachment 144164

View attachment 144165

View attachment 144166

View attachment 144167

We climbed quite high until we were above the cloud in the valley below us.

View attachment 144168

View attachment 144169

View attachment 144170

View attachment 144171

View attachment 144172

The cloud and mist cleared to reveal a magnificent day! :icon-cool:

View attachment 144173

View attachment 144174

View attachment 144175

View attachment 144176
View attachment 144177

We drove past a really steep hill climb that we decided to have a go at.

*pics dont do it justice.

View attachment 144179

I managed to get up OK but Aneta was struggling with the all terrain tyres struggling for traction on the steep, slippery hill.

So I turned around and headed down.

View attachment 144180

Jiri reversed it back down and we continued on our way.

Some amazing High Country views.

View attachment 144181

The darker sections are shadows from the clouds.

View attachment 144182

We drove a few more tracks and then headed back to camp.

In the late afternoon we packed up and headed for home. :icon-biggrin:

It was a good trip despite the fire/wet wood issue on the Friday night, but I would have liked to have driven more tracks, so next time we will pick a weekend where Jiri doesnt have to work Saturday so we can get out for 2 days of driving. :think:

Chainsaws, burgers, camp fires,"camping welcome" signs, trails, cruisers.. your living the dream mate..

Oops, I said 3 huskys earlier, I forgot the smallest saw I have is a Stihl my dad got me for Christmas. A great wee chainsaw for using up trees or one with one hand

Just had my 75cc 365 husky with 22" bar in for warranty repair, new carb, it became a pig to start when hot, was flooding engine with fuel, all good now under warranty

Love to see the pics Ben

How is father hood going for you?

Its going well thanks, but it has sadly affected the amount of time I can spend working on my 70's! :thumbdown:

We're really lucky that Sam is actually a really easy baby! :clap:

Bec is doing a fantastic job and is amazing with him, her being a NICU nurse who has spent the last 15 years working with babies has helped.

We've also got a few friends who have had kids over the last 5-6 years so we've learnt from a lot of their mistakes! :shifty:

Bec's best friend who is also a baby nurse made the biggest rod for her own back ever! By never putting her babies down! We'd go round for dinner and shed still have the baby in her arms asleep at 9-10 at night! :crazy:

So now they have major problems getting the kids who are 2 and 5 to go to bed and she is the only one they will go to sleep for, so when shes working night shifts the husband cant get them to settle and go to bed and every time she finally gets out for a night out with her friends she has to leave early every time to go home and try and settle the kids for her struggling husband! :wtf:

So when Sam was 2 months old we took the dummy off him permanently, cold turkey! And sleep trained him!

So now every night at 5:30pm he has a bottle, followed by a bath and at 6-6:30 he goes to bed and puts himself to sleep. :dance:

Babies wake every 2 hours and need to be able to settle themselves and put themselves back to sleep. Bec has another friend who gets no sleep because the 5 month old baby wakes every 2 hours and needs to be cuddled back to sleep! :crazy:

Bec usually has him overnight and has to feed and change him when he wakes at 11pm and then again at 6am. Well last night I said I would take him as its Mothers Day here today and I thought it would be nice for her to get a good nights sleep. :)

So I got up at 11:30pm when I heard him crying on the monitor, fed him, changed him and put him back down to sleep. I then lay in bed till 2:30am when I finally gave up trying to sleep and got up. :icon-neutral:

Its not all bad though as I was out in the garage at 3am working on LJ! :shifty:

Heres a few pics of Sammy and how hes changed! :romance-hearteyes:

Sam0.jpg

Sam1.jpg

Sam2.jpg

Sam3.jpg

Sam4.jpg

Sam5.jpg

Sam6.jpg

Chainsaws, burgers, camp fires,"camping welcome" signs, trails, cruisers.. your living the dream mate..

I know! :happy-wavemulticol:

Isnt it awesome! :icon-cool:

Its why I moved here, for me its the best country in the world, its heaven! :flags-australia:

Oops, I said 3 huskys earlier, I forgot the smallest saw I have is a Stihl my dad got me for Christmas. A great wee chainsaw for using up trees or one with one hand

Just had my 75cc 365 husky with 22" bar in for warranty repair, new carb, it became a pig to start when hot, was flooding engine with fuel, all good now under warranty

Nice! :icon-biggrin:

When I bought mine the sales girl said it comes with a 2 year warranty or if you buy our Husky branded chain oil and 2 stroke oil for $50 you get a 5 year warranty! :icon-cool:

I needed the oils anyway and thought $50 was OK! :clap:

I had another delivery from Amayama.com this week! :dance:

My smallest ever order from them, just a double diff lock switch, O ring and 2x exhaust gaskets for my LJ70.

IMG_8663.jpg

IMG_8664.jpg

I pulled my instrument cluster out so I could drill a hole for an LED for my front diff lock, only disaster struck whilst I was trying to remove the needle from the rev counter and the spindle that the needle fits on to snapped! :doh:

IMG_8674.jpg

So I had to strip down some other instrument clusters and solder a new mechanism onto my PCB. :ugeek:

IMG_8673.jpg

IMG_8675.jpg

IMG_8676.jpg

IMG_8677.jpg

IMG_8678.jpg

Next I needed to drill a hole and fit a red LED and a 1k OHM resistor.

IMG_8679.jpg

IMG_8680.jpg

I managed to use some of the spare holes in the PCB and soldered the LED legs through some spare holes as Toyota obviously use this same PCB on the heavy duty 70 series models that came with double diff locks.

IMG_8682.jpg

Sadly I couldnt put both legs of the resistor through the PCB, although I possibly could have if I had trusted what I believe was a common earth on the PCB, but I wasnt sure and didnt want to cause any damage, so figured it would be safer just to run my own earth.

IMG_8683.jpg

Tested it on the battery.

IMG_8685.jpg

IMG_8684.jpg

Refitted the gauge in the housing and left plenty of wire length to hook it up to my switch.

IMG_8686.jpg

Pulled the old single diff lock switch out.

IMG_8687.jpg

The only difference between the 2 on the back is one extra terminal, which I hoped would become live when the switch was turned to switch the front locker on.

IMG_8688.jpg

Crimped a terminal on a scrap piece of wire.

IMG_8689.jpg

Connected the switch to my loom and added the piece of wire and to my delight it did indeed become live when switched! :dance:

IMG_8690.jpg

So now I knew my plan was going to work I could fit the new switch.

IMG_8691.jpg

And wire up the new switch to operate my front Eaton E locker and at the same time light up my LED. :icon-cool:

No lockers.

IMG_8692.jpg

Factory rear locker.

IMG_8693.jpg

And front E locker too. :icon-twisted:

IMG_8694.jpg

Another little job I needed to do was replace the O ring on the rear diff lock actuator as it was leaking.

IMG_8707.jpg

Pulled the actuator off.

IMG_8708.jpg

IMG_8709.jpg

The new O ring from Amayama.

IMG_8710.jpg

Checked it was the same size as the old one.

IMG_8711.jpg

Fitted it and bolted the actuator back on. :icon-biggrin:

Tomorrow I'm off for a day drive to Toolangi with Jiri and Aneta and the first track of the day will be the infamous Rocky Track where I plan to test the lockers out! :icon-twisted:

Trip report to follow. ;)

One of best modification I've never seen....I've always thinked about it, because some time I forget rear locker active after some difficult pass...

Really nice work ben!!!

Back