Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lj79 engine swap

Amir Farghaly

Country Flag
egypt
Hi guys how are you?
I owns an Lj79 model 1994
Currently I am thinking to make an engine swap replacing the existing 3L engine by either 1 KD or the 1 KZ
Is it a good swap or not
And if so what are the challenges that I will face ?

Welcome to the club. :thumbup:

Its a great swap! :icon-twisted:

The 1KZ-T is the engine they should have come with from the start. :shifty:

The amount of torque and power compared to the gutless L series engines is mind blowing, its awesome! :icon-biggrin:

If you can find a 1KZ-T which is the manual fuel pump version the conversion will be a lot easier as you only need one ignition live to the fuel pump to make it run.

If you fit the much more common 1KZ-TE you will have to deal with a lot of wires, sensors and an ECU.

You could however fit a manual fuel pump to a 1KZ-TE.

But as I'm guessing yours already has an ECU its possible you may be able to connect your loom straight up to the new fuel pump, maybe.

You will need a suitable bell housing to mate your R151 gearbox to the new engine.

The exhaust will need to be modified/replaced to suit the new engine.

The airbox will need changing to a bigger one, the KZJ70/KZJ78 uses an 80 series filter so you could probably use an 80 series airbox although you may have to modify it slightly.

You will need to modify/replace your engine mounts as the 1KZ engine mounts 20-30mm further back than the L engines. The first time I did the conversion I extended the standard chassis engine mounts back. It wasnt pretty but it worked and lasted years. The second time I made some adapter plates to go between the standard LJ chassis mounts and 1KZ engine mounts. This worked well and meant I didnt need to modify the chassis.

Most of the other bits will be reasonably straight forward, such as connecting the radiator, throttle cable, etc.

Hope that helps. :icon-biggrin:

Back