Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ79 leaning to driver's side

malteser

Country Flag
malta
Hi guys,

Lately I've noticed my LJ79 is slightly leaning to the driver's side. I checked and adjusted all tire pressures but it's still the same. At first I thought it might be cos of my lately attached spare wheel (33" tire on 10" steel wheel) but when I took it off it didn't make any difference.

Now I'm thinking that my rear Ironman4x4 springs might have been sided but I know for sure I checked when I had them installed and didn't find anything saying one's left and one's right. Yesterday I got under the truck to try and check again but all I could see on them is an identical code on both. Can anyone confirm this please ? My lift kit code is TOY048BKF, they're foamcell shocks with performance springs (up to 150kg additional load).

Any other ideas why this could be happening please ?

I went away for a fortnight with my truck loaded with tools , in the second week i was asked 3 times what was wrong with my brand new heavy duty pedders suspension . Tools removed it took about 3 days to return to its normal stance so maybe it is the spare wheel ?

Malteser, most sets of springs for the 79 series are identical in free height and therefore the codes are the same and makes no difference to which side they are fitted. However there is in our range a couple of options for LHS and RHS springs at specific spring/load rates, but these are always clearly noted by different codes.
if you have the same code on each, they should suit either side.
As Shayne, suggested, remove the tyre and see what changes after a little drive. I wouldn't think one tyre would make that much difference to be noticeable though.
Climb underneath and check top of leaf pack to chassis height, see what the measurements are between sides using identical reference points to measure from.
Ultimately though, to see if one pack has failed, you would need to remove both and check free height against the specification and against each other. That's the only way to know for sure.
Cheers.
P.S. I don't offer Ironman suspension, just trying to help.

@ Shayne... Will try that, thanks :icon-wink:

@ Blown80... Mine has rear coil springs, not leaf (the LJ79 is a 90's model, exactly like the LJ78 but diff engine) but thank you very much for your help :thumbup:

OK no worries Malteser.
We Aussies got the 79 series as a tray back utility. Bit confusing hey.
If you can get the free height info from the distributor for your coils, you can slip yours out and check. Anything more than 10mm should be changed. But maybe that extra wheel is the issue after all. Cheers

Hi guys,

Lately I've noticed my LJ79 is slightly leaning to the driver's side. I checked and adjusted all tire pressures but it's still the same. At first I thought it might be cos of my lately attached spare wheel (33" tire on 10" steel wheel) but when I took it off it didn't make any difference.

Now I'm thinking that my rear Ironman4x4 springs might have been sided but I know for sure I checked when I had them installed and didn't find anything saying one's left and one's right. Yesterday I got under the truck to try and check again but all I could see on them is an identical code on both. Can anyone confirm this please ? My lift kit code is TOY048BKF, they're foamcell shocks with performance springs (up to 150kg additional load).

Any other ideas why this could be happening please ?

I fitted Ironman suspension to my LJ70 and found it used to lean on the drivers side. Swapping the springs side to side would fix it for a few weeks but then it would start to lean again. :doh:

You could try fitting spring spacers on the drivers side only to help level it up a bit. :icon-biggrin:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I fitted Ironman suspension to my LJ70 and found it used to lean on the drivers side. Swapping the springs side to side would fix it for a few weeks but then it would start to lean again. :doh:

You could try fitting spring spacers on the drivers side only to help level it up a bit. :icon-biggrin:

Thank you for your reply Ben :icon-biggrin:

Which ones did you use to change ? Front or rear ? or both ?

& did you try fitting spring spacers yourself ? are these added on top or below the spring ?

ohhhh and did the lean get worse by time or was it constant ? At the moment it's just a little I could live with, but if it gets worse then it would bother me

Coil spacer on top of the spring just like leveling a wonky table with a folded beer mat . I have two 40mm coil spacers on my rear springs because i wasn't happy with her stance after fitting new suspension .

Last edited:
ohhhh and did the lean get worse by time or was it constant ? At the moment it's just a little I could live with, but if it gets worse then it would bother me

As Shayne said, spring spacers go on top of the springs.

It did get worse up until a point where it was maybe 60-75mm lower on the drivers side, then it stayed at that height.

I certainly wouldn't ever fit Ironman again, yes its cheap, but the quality reflects that! :icon-biggrin:

As Shayne said, spring spacers go on top of the springs.

It did get worse up until a point where it was maybe 60-75mm lower on the drivers side, then it stayed at that height.

I certainly wouldn't ever fit Ironman again, yes its cheap, but the quality reflects that! :icon-biggrin:

That's bad :|

Was the problem with rear or front springs ?

Mainly rear springs. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mainly rear springs. [emoji6]

How do you suggest spacing the rear spring ? Should I look for specific spring spacers or should I fabricate a metal spacer that goes beneath / on top of either end spring holder (if you get what I mean heh)

I had this conversation with Pedders (who were i might add very helpful and keen to assist) and it seems a 2" lift kit suspension is usually made up of oversized front springs and standard size heavy duty springs for the rear and there i think lies the problem though i'm not sure how to put it into words :think:

If you can get polyc....polycar.... plastic spacers i would recommend them as it does make for a smoother ride .

Glad u read this now as mine is also leaning on drivers side
when I had it all in bit the front axle driver side spring seat had rotted away so made good of it but I just thought it was maybe I made it a tad lower than I should have lol mine is fitted with iron man and sags about 50mm

Glad u read this now as mine is also leaning on drivers side
when I had it all in bit the front axle driver side spring seat had rotted away so made good of it but I just thought it was maybe I made it a tad lower than I should have lol mine is fitted with iron man and sags about 50mm

How old is your lift kit ? And what model is your Cruiser ? And does it sag 50mm on both front and rear driver side ?

LJ70 Body Lean

How old is your lift kit ? And what model is your Cruiser ? And does it sag 50mm on both front and rear driver side ?

So is the consensus on this "Body Lean" seem to be worn out springs or poorly made aftermarket springs?

My springs are 25 year old on my LJ70 and want to upgrade/renew. Any opinions on Dobinson vs OME?
The consensus seems to be Dobinson is far superior to OME on the 2 or 3 threads I have read on ih8mud.
Curious what the drivers here think.

Iron Man is crap. I would never use or even consider them again after poor product support after use on my Defender 90.

My LJ70 never leaned until about 6-12 months after fitting Ironman suspension. I'd never fit Ironman again. [emoji107]

I've now got Dobinsons +50mm suspension and I'm really pleased with how it looms and handles! [emoji106]

However.......... I'm going to ask them to supply me with some slightly stiffer rear springs as I've found the back is sitting slightly lower than the front.

I've got a heavy rear bumper with spare wheel which must weigh about 50kg, drawer system, fridge with drop down slide and a 90 litre auxiliary fuel tank. So I'm probably carrying a good 150kg over standard, but then that's only like having 2 adults in the back. :think:

How do you suggest spacing the rear spring ? Should I look for specific spring spacers or should I fabricate a metal spacer that goes beneath / on top of either end spring holder (if you get what I mean heh)

Sorry missed this before.

You could try and make or purchase a spring spacer, normally they go on top.

A better option would be to fit new springs, or try swapping the ones you've got side to side. [emoji106]

Sorry just read this page forgot about it, I've had my iron man about 2 and half years now sits on drivers side yes around 50mm over the two springs
My lac is lj70 square headlamp model

Back