Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Locking Wheel Nuts

mitalm

Country Flag
uk
Hi everyone,

I'm about to head out on a lengthy overland trip this Wednesday (7th July) and I've realised the car does not currently have locking wheel nuts on any of the wheels.

Were these fitted by Toyota from the factory? As far as I can tell all of the nuts on mine are the same type and not a mis-matched set.

Do Toyota supply a suitable set for a 100 series?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! If I can't source some before I head to Europe on Wednesday I'll likely pick some up when over there.

What's the urgency? Do people actually still nick alloy wheels these days?

I always find the locking wheel nuts a bit of a nusiance!

I replaced the locking wheel nuts with normal wheel nuts on my Landcruiser and Hilux.
In case of issues with the locking wheel nut tool stripping or not being able to find it if I needed to change a tyre in remote area.

Fair point! It's pretty much just a paranoia thing. As with any locks or security on the car it's all just a minor deterrent to prevent opportunists.

I will reconsider their use, especially with the other message around them being stripped and stuck on.

The problem I've always found is with the keys - as Andy says they will strip and break at the worst possible moment.

The use of impact guns on them weakens them and then at some point, they finally go.

I got a new set when I got the car and never used an impact on them. But even though I'm confident in the key now, I still hate them.

When you're doing them up initially, they're a pain because you can do up the others with your impact, but then when the next nut in your star pattern is the locking one, you have to switch to the wheel brace. (Obviously torque them all up properly once theyre on!)

At some point I'll just replace them with normal nuts, like I've done on my other car.

To me, the only place they might make sense is for the spare wheel on the back, but my wheel is underneath so....!

Probably more likely to have a CAT or DPF stolen these days!

My locking key buggered up and had to get a removal kit and replaced with normal wheel nuts but also got a locking set from Roughtrax but have never used them plus when you go to check your nuts before a journey let's have a game of find the key now where did I put that bloody thing

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Turns out everyone was right I was worrying for nothing. Came back from the trip and had no issues with anyone going near or messing with the car. Much less trying to steal the wheels.

I now realise if someone did try and mess with a locking wheel nut with a hammer/drill/nut remover and failed then it likely would have been stuck on and a proper ball ache to remove if I had to get the wheel off.

I wonder if it would trigger the alarm to jack up a locked truck ?

Back