Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Longfield cv and shafts

Whilst still a boat load of cash, that is indeed a very good UK price. Bit odd though as I thought Longfield were no more. They're Nitro or something aren't they? Quality kit for sure. Some people say they are very soft for rock crawling and wear out on the road. I've not seen any real proof of that.

Whilst still a boat load of cash, that is indeed a very good UK price. Bit odd though as I thought Longfield were no more. They're Nitro or something aren't they? Quality kit for sure. Some people say they are very soft for rock crawling and wear out on the road. I've not seen any real proof of that.

I can vouch for Nitro Chromoloy wearing out quickly on the road, mine lasted about 3 years IIRC, and less than 100k km ...

I thought they were about a £1000 and only available from America. Not sure tbh Chris I'd heard they were the only comparison to genuine

Really Clive. Hmm, that's not brilliant. It's till a decent price, but my question would be how much are they without the shafts. You really don't need those. If the CVs on their own were a good price, I'd be happy with them for 60k miles.

Really Clive. Hmm, that's not brilliant. It's till a decent price, but my question would be how much are they without the shafts. You really don't need those. If the CVs on their own were a good price, I'd be happy with them for 60k miles.

That makes sense, but I can't answer the question.

I broke a shaft on the spline as it enters the CV and just my luck the CV broke with it.

I managed to source some older stock Nitros that someone had imported about a year before, unused, still in sealed plastic and a fancy Nitro box. Both sides, shafts and CVs, hoped I was set for life, but it wasn't to be.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Agree, you don't really need the shafts, when was the last time someone mentioned they had broken one? the truth is, the shafts are so much stronger than the joints. For that kind of dosh I'd invest in 2 new Toyota ones.

Those are not the original Longfields. Trail Gear bought the Longfield name when the company was shut down and have been producing their own ‘Longfields’ since then getting them manufactured in China. The original Longfields were made by RCV who still make the same CVs and axles but just branded RCV instead. Whilst some Trail Gear stuff is really good, their Longfields and associated lifetime warranty aren’t particularly well reviewed.

If I was replacing my CV/axles and wanted uprated I’d either go with RCV 30 spline or those from PJ’s Off-road with the splined hubs.

As a side note, I have original Longfields that are now 8 or 9 years old and have done about 40k with 37s

I did notice on the eBay link the other day they have a 24 spline and a 30 spline set listed for the 80s . I thought they were all the same. Apart from the length of the later cv

I did notice on the eBay link the other day they have a 24 spline and a 30 spline set listed for the 80s . I thought they were all the same. Apart from the length of the later cv

24 spline are the same as original CVs and therefore work with a standard drive flange. 30 spline need a different drive flange are are a bit stronger where the CV and flange meet.

Thanks for that Lorin.

Going to keep my eye out as I am sure now in have my lockers and a warn 8274 the CV s are going to break...

Back