Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looks like we're going to France

I just turned off the camera locations on my nav, I think some newer ones don't have them listed on French maps anyway.
I wouldnt worry about the camera warnings - no Gendarme will check your sat nav (a) cos its in eeenglish (b) I am not so sure they have the right to grab your stuff - however I might not argue with one cos he has a gun! If you go into your sat nav there should be a speed limit warning - if you go faster than the limit it will sound an alarm.

If you go into your sat nav there should be a speed limit warning - if you go faster than the limit it will sound an alarm.
Yeah mine has that, bloody noise drives me mad. :angry-screaming:

It's far easier than all of this. I just don't intend exceeding the speed limit

Can turn the noise off on my Garmin, 1 mph over sets it off.

Still had a paper map tucked down the side of the seat, just in case.

Can turn the noise off on my Garmin, 1 mph over sets it off.
I can turn off the volume but that turns off the spoken directions as well.

you can un set it if you want Chas ;)
My Van has cruise control and speed limiter - thats a pain ! just about get into 6th at 90kph, but as soon as a hill turns up or you want to nip past a lorry, then put foot down and nothing happens! WTF! oh, speed limiter is on DOH! by this time the chance to whizz past is gone!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just been on the RAC website to look at European recovery. We're with RAC already. They want £90 for a one week trip. Seems a lot, but then I guess it's a heck of a recovery too. What do you guys pay and with whom?

I didn't as free European recovery while car under warranty :icon-biggrin:
Does your car insurance offer it?

I don't think so Gary. I'd rather go with a big name I suppose, but it's another chunk of cash.

I'm with the Adac, it proved ok when roman had probs in the alps a couple of years ago, he was home before me.

i think there is a thread on here somewhere.

about 100 euro for a year for the full monty,, apparently also covers n African countries bordering the med, but how that works I don't know, also covered in uk,

BUT! be warned! all of the correspondence etc sent to you will be in German, if you phone them , they do quickly find an English speaker though

Andy

Hi Chris, i dunno whether you're going on the boat or train but when i went to Switzerland a couple of years ago in the BMW i paid for the train ticket and it asked if i wanted holiday insurance and European cover for the both of us. £15 pound, can't be bad. Got my moneys worth, a little man towed us to a BMW garage and left us there and said to call the AA. They paid for a taxi from the bmw garage to the station, two plane tickets from Geneva to Heathrow and they gave me the choice of having my car recovered to England or did i want it fixed (had to pay for that bit) there and drive it back. I chose the latter and they flew me back out again. couldn't believe it. The cover was provided by the AA and nothing to do with my membership.

Really? Well I shall have a look at that. Train there I think and boat back.

The little man dumped us at the garage. Got me to sign a bit if paper and said " train that way, you go home" and drove off. The garage was shut on Saturdays so I rang the number again and they told me to call the AA. I said I don't have any special cover other than what was sold to me on the train website and she that's ok, it's the AA that provide the cover. I paid for two train tickets from fribourg to geneva and one back again. Could have claimed but didn't bother. 500 quid to fix the car ( water pump and belts) and had to pay for a single ticket on the euro tunnel from France to England cod i hadn't told them about my breakdown. I recommend them to anyone!

Just been on the RAC website to look at European recovery. We're with RAC already. They want £90 for a one week trip. Seems a lot, but then I guess it's a heck of a recovery too. What do you guys pay and with whom?
I have used the AA EU annual multi trip policy for the last 7 yrs, usually costing around £116-125. As with most of these services you don't know how go they are until you have to use them, I found myself in need of their services in 2011, they did very well, I'd give them a 9 out of 10.

On the face of it the ADAC cover is very good, I tried to take a policy with them but gave up with the German paper. I now work with a few Germans so may enlist their help if I try again.

Most pointers for French travel have been listed, turning off the camera alerts on the SatNav is wise, have heard of UK Campervan owners having nasty run ins with the Gendarmes over this. Don't speed on the way into towns and villages as many have sensors that detect a speeding car and change the next set of lights to red. Slow and steady usually means you make good progress and can enjoy the scenery/experience.

I can second the recommendation of the Halifax Clarity credit card for foreign travel, very good exchange rates. Worth having in the wallet as a back up. It's good to have a mixture of Euros and cards, there are some card only fuel pumps at some garages, and some places have a pay booth as you exit, which you have to drive to after filling.

As I'm sure you will have done, check up what emergency equipment is mandatory for the countries which you plan to visit (some require 2 warning triangles).

Don't be tempted to speed into the ferry/tunnel port on the way home, the Gendarmes are wise to foreigners racing for their crossing and find them easy pickings.

I use beam benders on the headlights, seem to work well when I have driven at night. The warning earlier in the thread re GB identifiers theft sounds a wise one, having the marker on the number plate sorts this.

On long drives if you stick to the 15min break every 2hrs you should stay alert, if you do feel tired have a short kip in one of the many aires, I had to do this once after a particularly busy lead up to departure, half hour kip and I was good to go again till 18:00. Whenever possible I try not to flog the car, preferring to cruise instead, I know you can get there faster by driving at an increased speed but I've seen so many people overwork cars which would have otherwise made it (not to say yours aren't in tip top condition Chris, but you know what I mean).

Carcassonne is a lovely place, we visited on our way to Corsica in 2008, Steph still wants to go back. We camped nearby and walked into the walled city, we were visiting in early May so didn't need to book the site, I expect booking would be needed during the summer months.

You'll be glad of the thermal screens in the south of France, the sun will be very strong down there.

Have a great trip.

3 important points.

1). leave the missus behind as well- you will have more room for alcohol on the return trip.
2). Bring two spare wheels. I got stuck in the alps for 4 days when my spare and one other tyre was punctured.
3). If you are going to the alps you may want to turn the fuel screw back a bit;-) (you may loose the view in the black smoke as the air gets thinner)

1. Damn good point. Spotted many other benefits too.
2. Hmm probably not. Got BFGs on got anti puncture goo in and I carry full puncture repair including patches, levers etc. Extra wheel means less capacity to carry booze - see point 1.
3. I'm not. Not enough booze there See points 1. and 2.

My little tips. Drive up and down to Aveyron a couple of times a year...

On the auto-routes no need to pay service station prices for diesel, even though they're cheaper than any diesel in the UK. Any decent size town will have a supermarket, with supermarket prices, and they love a supermarket signpost straight off any major road. Never failed to find one within 2 or 3 mins drive of an exit (for a town, not in the middle of nowhere). And nearly all supermarkets are 24/7 card machines for fuel so work any time.

Although big supermarkets are shut on Sunday, little supermarkets in smaller towns tend to be open. As are bakers and butchers. Generally shut by 12:30 though. Conversely the big supermarkets are open 12-2 midweek when virtually everything else is shut. If you want to eat lunch somewhere bear in mind it's 12-2. The French don't seem to do lunch at 2:05, so make sure you stop at the right time.

Have been stopped twice in the last year for breath tests between 2 and 3 pm. Police definitely on the lookout for lunch time drinkers. Police polite, rated my command of French to the extent they switched to English, and asked for no papers.

Another recoemmendation for the Halifax card. Checked my statement this week, having just got back and we were getting 1.25 / 1.26 Euro the pound, which seems very fair. Combine that with French diesel prices and it's like driving a sensible car for running costs.

Back